Re: Japanese anime for 9yo

On Royal Road or in general?

Because you can just grab the Japanese copy of any popular childrens book like:

https%3A%2F%2Fexternal-preview.redd.it%2Fx-nbwCa...2071bfb265
Hari Potta to kenja no ishi 
(Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Japanese Edition)

Or whatever else he's already into.

Edit:
If you are asking about tv shows, the same logic largely applies. Pokemon or even Last Airbender and Autobots are all sure to have japanese versions.

RavenRunes Wrote: thanks, I'll see what there is, he doesn't like HP. Any TV programmes you can recommend?

Ah, drat. I thought you might be asking about those just a little too late.

Any popular TV program we have will most likely have a Japanese version as well.
Spongebob, Phineas and Ferb, Autobots, Dexter's Lab. Would have Japanese dubs.
Pokemon, Digimon, Metabots, YuGiOh. Would all have originally been Japanese.
It depends on what he is into really. What does he like to watch now?

Almost all Animes aimed at young boys (or "Shonen") are going to have some level of violence. If you're sensitive to that, then sorry.

That said, here's my recommendations:

Haikyuu!! - And yes, you have to say it with emphasis every time you utter the word. It's about young boys playing volleyball, and it's great. If he likes sports, this is one to watch.

Inuyasha - It's about a girl who falls down a well, meets a half demon boy and goes on adventures. Ending was meh, but otherwise solid. Some monsters in it may be scary to younger kids.

Naruto - Everyone loves this anime about a boy who wants to become the greatest ninja! Give it a watch!

My Hero Academia - Kids with superpowers go to school and learn how to be superheroes. A bit more on the violent side and has some cussing. But, kids love it!

Rouroni Kenshin - One of my all time favorites. It's a samurai who becomes a pacifist and helps his friends. Still some violent parts, but not too bad. Beware if he's learning the language and tries to talk like the MC, Japanese people will think he's weird. 

Also, here's a couple "Shoujo", or Animus aimed at young girls. Boys still watch them.

Card Captor Sakura - She collects cards and does battle! It's great, really.

Girls Und Panzer - Little girls fight with tanks. What's not to like?

Finally, some special mentions.

A Silent Voice - About a boy with depression. It'll make you cry, but in a good way.

Also anything by Hayao Miyazaki. His movies are like Japan's answer to Disney movies, and they are all awesome.

Hope that helps!

Sake Wrote:
Paradoxcloud Wrote: For a 9yo:

Cardcaptor sakura

Sailor moon

Inuyasha

Yugioh/cardfight vanguard/bakugan/pokemon/digimon/most other game animes except for a few.

Phi Brain

Shaman king

Dragon ball (the original one, not z)

Detective conan / case closed

Ranma 1/2

Baby steps

Silver spoon

It's not 1990's anymore

Hey, at least two of those shows are from the 2010's

Depends what sort of content you're okay with and what you think he'd be interested in.

Movies from Studio Ghibli like "Howl's Moving Castle" or "Spirited Away" wouldn't be a bad introduction to anime. These tend to be light hearted with a mix of themes and a charming art style. A full list of recommendations from Ghibli would almost be their entire catalogue (first movie I ever watched from them was "My Neighbor Totoro"). Most of their movies are very family friendly.

Otherwise finding some familiar shows he already watches in Japanese shouldn't be too hard. Could compare the English and Japanese translations for an educational experience.

Paradoxcloud Wrote:
Sake Wrote:
Paradoxcloud Wrote: For a 9yo:

Cardcaptor sakura

Sailor moon

Inuyasha

Yugioh/cardfight vanguard/bakugan/pokemon/digimon/most other game animes except for a few.

Phi Brain

Shaman king

Dragon ball (the original one, not z)

Detective conan / case closed

Ranma 1/2

Baby steps

Silver spoon

It's not 1990's anymore

Hey, at least two of those shows are from the 2010's

I stand corrected, and I am shamed 

For a kid that young?

One Piece - for pirates and endless entertainment for him.

Boruto/Naruto - You could honestly start him with either. 

Black Clover - Think this is pretty tame. 

My Hero - Yeah good, modern recommendation

Attack On Titan - Pick this one if you just want to ruin your kid.

Fairy Tale - Warning, there is some fanservice. But ngl, when I was a kid Toonami was a thing. And I saw stuff like Death Note at ten, so i think they could be alright with this one. Same would go for Inuyasha, but this is more modern. 

Avatar/Legend of Korra- Well. Classic. Good recommendation especially to break them into more animated shows.

Hmm, if he's learning Japanese you're probably going to want something on the longer side so that he has enough chances to really hear the language. I think around nine I would have liked your general shonen suggestions, though let's keep it modern. My Hero Academia, Boruto, and Black Clover all have their level of violence and PG-13 themes, but I think they have a good length for a good deep dive.

Depending on his taste though, we can branch out. I like the suggestions people gave from Haikyuu and Baby Steps, the former is a very good sports shonen series, and my friend swears by the latter.

Though it's not as long as any of the other suggestions, I'm going to throw Ranking of Kings in there. It's a good one with a non-standard anime look and a plot that a more serious adult wouldn't have trouble jumping into if they wanted to watch along. Honestly, though, genre preference would certainly help. I can consult my friends and we could cook something up.