Re: The Real World!

I don't know if it's still being updated here, since the author moved to Medium, but the story Humiliation of a Samurai was a story that takes place in the real, modern world, The story itself is fiction, of course, but it's played completely straight. I don't think the story did very well on RR, so I'm unsure if it's still around.

The urban fantasy i read, not my work, but I think RR readers might love it: 
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/45741/pantheon

The one i wrote set on the real current world but i have to change some of the brand names to avoid some problem... but there is no fantasy element... oh wait... may be i want to put some fantasy element. Yes, i shall make a vampy character... 
Clara's Handbook of Cliched Romance

And i do found a lot of stories on RR that sets in 100% real world. The one i recently reviewed is:
Instrumental [Teen Romance Drama]
But i guess the realistic world dramas are not popular on RR, thus, they did not get much attention.

My scifi series began in another dimension, came to our dimension and two novels later has reached planet Earth about 20 yrs in the future. I have about three more scifi novels and two unrelated novels planned which will all take place in the real world. both future and past. My young adult adventure novel is set in the real world. I go wherever the story takes me.

Urikson Wrote: I'm curious, how many writers here have stories set only or mostly in the real world? I don't mean 100% our world. Supernatural or sci-fi elements are fine, but the basic setting takes place in our world and our time.
For Descent, I first tried writing it in our real world before deciding that's a really bad idea.

Since then, it's set in modern times. In another world. 

Urikson Wrote: I'm curious, how many writers here have stories set only or mostly in the real world? I don't mean 100% our world. Supernatural or sci-fi elements are fine, but the basic setting takes place in our world and our time.
Me... exclusively. It's where my mind works best, despite its relatively poor performance even there... here... in this world... the real one. 

Take your pick, the curious writer of cat-in-tree stories in Jep...

Or my new one just getting set up, Jackpot. Nothing cute in this one.

Dan Wrote: Urban Fantasy is usually all real world plus magic.  Some fantasy/horror in the All The Myths Are True tradition are the same.  Ash & Blue's Mirrorfall is UF, and close to real world plus magic.

That's me! :D :D

I love urban fantasy for that quality of looking at a familiar place and being able to imagine all kinds of things happening just a little bit outside of your notice.