Re: Tips for bringing in readers?

Well, for starters you can display your stories in your signature so every time you post there's a miniature advertisement.  DrakanGlasses

Other than that, publishing consistantly helps and there's the option to literally advertise.
A lot of people seem to find stuff through the front page so any time your story spends on there will help reach people.

I hear there's also something about reviews and or review swaps that somehow helps but I don't know what's up with that.

CrowsCrowCrow Wrote: I hear there's also something about reviews and or review swaps that somehow helps but I don't know what's up with that.

Well your amount of reviews help with your website overall ranking, and since there's tens of thousands of stories with 0 or 1 review, having just a couple ok reviews can give you distinct advantage right away by putting you in the first 100s pages when people search for stories with your tags instead of the first 1000s

Also if you hit it off with other writers in the process it has the indirect advantage to get more feedback on your story (ie making it better) and sometime garnishing your chapters with a couple comments.

Readers are also more likely to read a story if they see other people have put their "badge of approval" on it.

Think of it like a rating on amazon products.
You don't take the amount of stars at face value, but you're more likely to go for something with 4 stars and 10,000 reviews than something with 5 stars but only 10

J Wrote: I'm not the most business-minded person. Looking for advice on bringing in an audience for my stories.
I'm pretty much with you in navigational savvy here. I have "figured out" so little in this area, primarily because I wasn't even thinking of this as a "reader forum", and thought it was like a glorified writer's forum - support group, idea exchange, etc. 

Then, by the time I got 10 chapters of my first book posted, I realized how far out my story was from the wheelhouse of writers/readers here. So, despite it not getting any significant traction, with some who like it a lot, and one who was sure to leave me a rotten egg (without a review by the way), I let the story be what it will. Still a hoot, still a moving thing.

Lastly, I am not tech savvy, so setting up "signatures" makes me think about putting down my hammer and chisel and learn... but a job, wife w cancer, and as one of our fellow writers here put it, "Too many story bunnies" procreating... 

It's maybe the lazy answer, but I am just writing stories right now. 6 in the last 2 years. So, I will be late to the advert party. 

I wish you luck on your efforts!

VladThatGuy Wrote: Lastly, I am not tech savvy, so setting up "signatures" makes me think about putting down my hammer and chisel and learn... but a job, wife w cancer, and as one of our fellow writers here put it, "Too many story bunnies" procreating...

That's a bit dramatic, don't you think? xD

Step 1: Follow this link: Edit Signature | Royal Road
Step 2: Click the "Generate for my fictions" button.
Step 3: Click the "Save Changes" button.

Job done. 

Now all you have to do whenever you make a post is decide whether you want to check the "Display your signature under your post" box directly below the area where you are typing.

CrowsCrowCrow Wrote:
VladThatGuy Wrote: Lastly, I am not tech savvy, so setting up "signatures" makes me think about putting down my hammer and chisel and learn... but a job, wife w cancer, and as one of our fellow writers here put it, "Too many story bunnies" procreating...

That's a bit dramatic, don't you think? xD

Step 1: Follow this link: Edit Signature | Royal Road
Step 2: Click the "Generate for my fictions" button.
Step 3: Click the "Save Changes" button.

Job done. 

Now all you have to do whenever you make a post is decide whether you want to check the "Display your signature under your post" box directly below the area where you are typing.
Thank you! 

Dramatic or real? I don't know. :)  They sort of overlap, right? Sometimes anyway.

But yea, you chased me out of my laziness. I'm the ancient mariner here, learning in ways most aren't here. I will try and set my signature. If successful, I will celebrate, I assure you. (flashes to Tom Hanks in "Castaway": "Fire! I have created FIRE!") 

I am grateful to you! Thanks. 

VladThatGuy Wrote: But yea, you chased me out of my laziness. I'm the ancient mariner here, learning in ways most aren't here. I will try and set my signature. If successful, I will celebrate, I assure you. (flashes to Tom Hanks in "Castaway": "Fire! I have created FIRE!") 

No problem! I look forward to hopefully seeing your signature soon. 
If you need help feel free to throw me a message.

Edit:
Never mind! I see it worked! Congratz! :D

CrowsCrowCrow Wrote:
VladThatGuy Wrote: But yea, you chased me out of my laziness. I'm the ancient mariner here, learning in ways most aren't here. I will try and set my signature. If successful, I will celebrate, I assure you. (flashes to Tom Hanks in "Castaway": "Fire! I have created FIRE!") 

No problem! I look forward to hopefully seeing your signature soon. 
If you need help feel free to throw me a message.

Edit:
Never mind! I see it worked! Congratz! :D
Boom! Working on a new and rather lurid story. About 1/3 the way through. It's a tester. Unsavory stuff included, but I have a "gift" of writing the hard stuff gently. Makes for broader, but still visceral reading. 

Maybe a month or two at most. 

Thx again!

Along with what everyone says, I also think after some time you should polish your earlier chapters, as that's where most readers (including review swaps) will cover. My early chapters in my view were written pretty meh and would end up hurting the viewership as the story went on, hence why I'm editing them right now.

If you want to play it safe, you can even have a huge, edited backlog so you can be sure it's the absolute best your writing can offer currently and thus would have a larger chance to attract readers.