Re: Do you guys have any other methods for tracking your writing progress other than word count? 🤔

Clairisa Wrote: I was wondering if any of you guys have any other methods of tracking your writing progress other than word count? I'm thinking of using a new method word counts doesn't work for me anymore.
There are two official ways of tracking word count. One: word count, and two: manuscript pages. If you choose to count pages, you have to use a mono spaced font. Courier new or Times New Roman, double spaces, 12 point text with paragraph indentation. This "proper manuscript format" is said to consist of 250 words per page on average.

Re: Do you guys have any other methods for tracking your writing progress other than word count? 🤔

Paradoxcloud Wrote:
Clairisa Wrote: I was wondering if any of you guys have any other methods of tracking your writing progress other than word count? I'm thinking of using a new method word counts doesn't work for me anymore. 
peoconfused

How often do I groan reading it back the next day. If it's in the 0-3 range per chapter then I'm good, 3-5 needs a touch up, and anything above that needs a lot of editing.

I've seen many writers tracking progress by chapter very interesting. So you edit as soon as you finish a chapter?

LJ Wrote: I base progress on story beats I get done.

It's like having a mental checklist of actual story progress instead of a number that says nothing other than I wrote words. I can actually feel progress when the goal is finish chapter X done and then start laying down foundation for what is going to happen in three chapters from now. It's actual story progress. It feels more tangible to me than "oh I wrote 2000 words today." I can see my progress in words and the story taking shape. I can't see that in a number. Numbers aren't tangible to me.

This does require you to have an idea of where you are going in a story. Some planning is required, probably a lot easier if you outline.

This is a really good idea to track writing progress!  I haven't thought of that doing it through story beats and then planning ahead for the next chapter. I think this is a good way to stay on track and finish a novel. Out of curiosity so you're a planner 🙂?

HybaIsWriting Wrote: I do plot points on cards! If I can write one plot point/card per day, then that's great! But some plot points require more writing than others, so it also just depends. And, of course, sometimes you need to write the 'connecting tissue' between your main plot points, so those might also require their own writing days.

Hope that helps! peoeating

Great idea! This kinda reminds me of another writer that using flash cards for rearranging scenes. Thanks for the tip

Dan Wrote:
Clairisa Wrote:
Dan Wrote: Act I transitions to Act II?  Progress.  That calls for a happy dance.  Didn't screw up the fight scene and have to rewrite it twice?  Progress.  Have a tasty muffin.  Dialogue didn't suck?  Progress.  Have a sip of apple juice.  Finish a book?  Collapse and sleep in the next day.  

Arbitrary progress point reached?  Arbitrary reward given.  Woke up not dead today?  Have tasty breakfast.  Check "not dead" off the day's list.
So you track it by your daily routine?
More or less.  Writing is part of the daily routine.  Some days "writing" is editing.  But it is all for the same purpose: storytelling.  Telling the story has definite points that it hangs on.  Stuff that needs to happen.  Plot points.  Character introductions, fight scenes, mysteries, revelations, foreshadowing and consummation, things like that.  The major plot points need to be hit before the story can proceed.  Those points are in the (messy) outline/plot diagram. 

Getting those points tells the story.  The words are nice, but the actual number of words is less important than the story being told.  Like HybaIsWriting and LJ McEachern, story points are goalposts.  The in-general improvement of my writing by creating better scenes, better dialogue, and better action is also an improvement when I can tell that it has improved. 

It can get worse if I leave off writing for too long.  Writing is a skill, not a gift, for me.  Like shooting accurately, it takes constant practice.  Hitting plot points and marking improvements makes it meaningful.

These are some really good points that you've mentioned. It got me thinking on what I need to look for in my novel and if I've hit the right story points. Thanks for your input 🙂

my backlog
my chapters go on the long side (like 4k-5k) and i'm posting on a MWF schedule, so i'm trying to maintain a schedule to write 2k words per day (or at least complete scenes)

i finished writing arc 1 and 1.5 of my web novel, declared that my backlog, and began posting that while simultaneously working on arc 2. each time i post a chapter, it's -1 to the backlog total; each time i finish a chapter, it's +1 to the backlog total

rn i'm trying to keep that number hovering around 0

I plot out the story arc in advance and aim for a set word count and number of chapters. 

Eg. 100k words; 25 chapters

As I write, I can see how much of the arc is complete. 

More useful, perhaps, would be adding a time measurement as well. I use Timing to track how many hours I spend doing everything on the computer. For Writeathon, I plan to track daily progress with word count and time and keep a log, pushing myself to increase those numbers.