This thread is locked

Advice is advice, not a fixed set of rules. Also, big authors aren't out to get you. Shocking, I know.

Whether it is in regards to marketing or craft, advice is advice. Guidelines. You take what works for you, and leave the rest behind. 

I've seen authors on the forums constantly claiming that big RR authors are trying to keep them down. Well, first of all, that's bold of you to assume most big RR authors even think about you. This isn't even meant to be in a condescending manner. Sorry to say, but as a kind of large author, I don't go about my day stressing over whether someone else will steal my patrons. I worry about publishing and how to maintain growth. In fact, I don't even worry about losing patrons when I see authors around my size outgrow me. 

Why? Because RoyalRoad is not a cut-throat competition. Very few people ever go to RoyalRoad and treats it purely like a business. They generally come here because they're hobby writers who hope to make some income while writing the story they love. The amount of money to be made from patreon is miniscule in comparison to actual publishing-- most of the backstabbing businessmen would typically go there. 

When someone gives you advice, they aren't going to weave up a web of lies to trick you into failure. They'll typically just say what worked for them and what they think works in general. So, when you see advice being given on the RR forums... well, treat it as rough guidelines to follow since your circumstance will obviously be different. And don't assume malice when there is none.

Here's a list of writing and marketing advice from authors I know:

pirateaba (the advice that helped me get started, personally)

Defier

Shirtaloon

Selkie Myth

Re: Advice is advice, not a fixed set of rules. Also, big authors aren't out to get you. Shocking, I know.

MelasD Wrote: I've seen authors on the forums constantly claiming that big RR authors are trying to keep them down. Well, first of all, that's bold of you to assume most big RR authors even think about you. This isn't even meant to be in a condescending manner.

Where, exactly, have you seen this?

And yes, it is condescending.

There is definitely hard competition here. There are, however, no 'big' RR authors. Yes, Some authors try to sabotage others specifically to improve their chances on the rising stars and hotlists. It does not happen often, but it does happen. It doesn't work, but people are people.

So with all due respect, stop lying. It doesn't make you look like a superior sort of person, it makes you look like you are covering up your own misdeeds. Stop patting yourself on the back for being the 'voice of reasonableness' because it's a job that does not need to be done.

Re: Advice is advice, not a fixed set of rules. Also, big authors aren't out to get you. Shocking, I know.

Brian Wrote:
MelasD Wrote: I've seen authors on the forums constantly claiming that big RR authors are trying to keep them down. Well, first of all, that's bold of you to assume most big RR authors even think about you. This isn't even meant to be in a condescending manner.

Where, exactly, have you seen this?

And yes, it is condescending.

There is definitely hard competition here. There are, however, no 'big' RR authors. Yes, Some authors try to sabotage others specifically to improve their chances on the rising stars and hotlists. It does not happen often, but it does happen. It doesn't work, but people are people.

So with all due respect, stop lying. It doesn't make you look like a superior sort of person, it makes you look like you are covering up your own misdeeds. Stop patting yourself on the back for being the 'voice of reasonableness' because it's a job that does not need to be done.
I made a post but I deleted because it was getting heated. Melas isn't lying.

MelasD Wrote:
TheKingofKirby Wrote: I have been given bad advice and even had promises broken from popular authors. 
I didn't want to target anyone specifically, just give people a heads up about what advice to take and where it comes from.

If this is really true, name and shame. Prove it.

I've seen authors promise to give shoutouts but never follow through. There was one on this forum not too long ago but it got deleted. 

But the goal of that thread wasn't to call out anyone/make them feel bad. It was more of a warning to not blindly accept advice from someone just because they're popular. I saw some good points made in there and then I deleted it because I realized I was wrong. Arguing and finger-pointing is exactly what I was trying to avoid. 

TheKingofKirby Wrote:
MelasD Wrote:
TheKingofKirby Wrote: I have been given bad advice and even had promises broken from popular authors. 
I didn't want to target anyone specifically, just give people a heads up about what advice to take and where it comes from.

I've seen authors promise to give shoutouts but never follow through. There was one on this forum not too long ago but it got deleted. 

But the goal of that thread wasn't to call out anyone/make them feel bad. It was more of a warning to not blindly accept advice from someone just because they're popular. I saw some good points made in there and then I deleted it because I realized I was wrong. Arguing and finger-pointing is exactly what I was trying to avoid.
Some authors forget. I have about 20 shoutouts in my backlog of shoutouts to give, and I’ll probably forget to give a shoutout to one or two of those who ask for them.

I don’t believe any “big” author on RR is malicious. I know 90% of the ones who have 10,000 or more followers, and they only ever give good advice.

It is fair to say not to take all advice given, of course. As I said above, advice is advice. Not stringent rules.

MelasD Wrote: TheKingofKirby Wrote:
MelasD Wrote:
TheKingofKirby Wrote:
I have been given bad advice and even had promises broken from popular authors. 

Some authors forget. I have about 20 shoutouts in my backlog of shoutouts to give, and I’ll probably forget to give a shoutout to one or two of those who ask for them.

I don’t believe any “big” author on RR is malicious. I know 90% of the ones who have 10,000 or more followers, and they only ever give good advice.

It is fair to say not to take all advice given, of course. As I said above, advice is advice. Not stringent rules.
Of key note also though is that Melas in particular tends to give stupid amounts of shoutouts without requiring them in return like some do. So it's not like forgetting someone in that large list is taking advantage of someone or something, and anyone forgotten could likely just send a reminder. Probably the author with the most shoutouts given, if I had to guess. I respect that.

FantasyBliss30 Wrote: Easy there, buddy. No one likes to be 'advised' is the truth, especially unsolicited ones. XD Either way I am happy you DEFINITELY DO NOT think about the people who do not want to take your advice, and hence, it definitely DOES NOT bother you AT ALL! XD
I suggest you reread my post and the replies under it to glean some context behind it.

This is why I deleted the last thread. Didn't want people getting attacked. I'm sure MelasD is a great/friendly author. That's why I specifically left out all names and made it more of a "general" thread talking about openly taking popular author's advice that had been shaped by a bit of frustration/envy/disappointment when I wrote it. 

MelasD Wrote: I've seen authors on the forums constantly claiming that big RR authors are trying to keep them down.

MelasD Wrote: This thread is in response to The King of Kirby's deleted thread that specified the term "big RR author".

Wow, you even lie to yourself. Or maybe you REALLY cannot tell the difference between 'one or two threads' and 'constantly claiming'. Frankly, if an author gets 'big' they move on. This is RR's model, and it is a profitable one. Expose 'em when they are little, keep the webauthors, the ones that make it big give RR exposure from better paying platforms.

Big authors are guys like Will White, Aleron Kong, Dakota Krout, and Vasily Mahanenko. Shirtaloon WAS here (I believe) and might possibly still be here, but has moved a lot of his stuff to KU.

Are you REALLY sure you want to leave that personal insult up there? I called you a liar because you were lying, 'not to be condescending'.

TheKingofKirby Wrote: This is why I deleted the last thread. Didn't want people getting attacked. I'm sure MelasD is a great/friendly author. That's why I specifically left out all names and made it more of a "general" thread talking about openly taking popular author's advice that had been shaped by a bit of frustration/envy/disappointment when I wrote it.

Not if he walks around calling people morons if they disagree with him, nope I am pretty sure he's the kind of guy that you wouldn't want around your liquor cabinet or trash cans.

Brian Wrote:
MelasD Wrote: I've seen authors on the forums constantly claiming that big RR authors are trying to keep them down.

MelasD Wrote: This thread is in response to The King of Kirby's deleted thread that specified the term "big RR author".

Wow, you even lie to yourself. Or maybe you REALLY cannot tell the difference between 'one or two threads' and 'constantly claiming'. Frankly, if an author gets 'big' they move on. This is RR's model, and it is a profitable one. Expose 'em when they are little, keep the webauthors, the ones that make it big give RR exposure from better paying platforms.

Big authors are guys like Will White, Aleron Kong, Dakota Krout, and Vasily Mahanenko. Shirtaloon WAS here (I believe) and might possibly still be here, but has moved a lot of his stuff to KU.

Are you REALLY sure you want to leave that personal insult up there? I called you a liar because you were lying, 'not to be condescending'.
Shirtaloon is a RoyalRoad author and I am quite familiar with him, yes. His publisher even left an input up above. 

Two threads will multiple people in said threads agreeing with it. I don’t know about you, but I never claimed that that’s all the RR forum does. I have constantly seen it. And that is not a lie.

It is not an insult. I don’t think you’re a contrarian moron. I’m sure you’re a smart guy. But you are acting like a contrarian moron right now. So I respectfully suggest you stop.

MelasD Wrote: constantly claiming
Yeah, I have been married for 25 years, I am very familiar with 'You always do this' argument. 2 threads or even dozens of threads over the years does not make 'constant'. Excuse my visceral reaction to such an argument, but it is very, very exaggerated, and exaggerations are lies by inflection.

And calling people morons for any reason on the boards is against site policy. I have been warned for it multiple times, because I will not hesitate to call it like I see it. My posting style is much like my writing style.

But if it makes feel better, your insult made me start laughing rather than disturbing me. LOTS of people get mad when you call them out on their own statements, and respond with insults.

I honestly think this thread is about as necessary as another "how many words should be in a chapter?", only it reads more like a very condescending and insulting guide written by a woman who is pissed that her husband for once forgot to pick up the kids from soccer practice. No one else seems to be willing to tell you this, so I will.

You can take offense or not. Your choice.
This thread is locked