Exponents and pronunciation

Hello. I would like to implement footnotes in my story. I've tried doing this in one chapter, but whenever I try to write a number as an exponent it comes out as a regular number. How do I put exponents into my story?

I would also like to put pronunciation guides into my footnotes. What is the best way to do this. Should I use the IPA or just sound it out. For example the surname 'Roosevelt' could be done like this:

Sounding it out: Rose-uh-velt

IPA:  /ˈɹoʊ.zə.vɛlt/

Re: Exponents and pronunciation

wordsinaline Wrote:
Do you mean superscript? It may not be supported1by the current text editor widget.2
  • Edit: obviously, it is possible... can you clarify what it is you want?

1. I assume you're putting your footnotes in the bottom chapter notes?
  2. Does copy pasting superscript text work?
Yes, that is what I was trying to do. I wanted to put footnotes in the bottom chapter notes. I tried copy pasting superscript text from Google Docs, but it was entered into the site as a regular number.

Re: Exponents and pronunciation

Concerning pronunciation:

IPA: 
Pro: If you manage to use correct IPA symbols, I will be very impressed and there will be no question what the real pronunciation should be. 
Con: I don't think most people are able to read IPA correctly, especially for sounds that don't exist in their native language. It might not be that important to understand the differences between / r, ɾ, ɺ, ɹ, ɻ, ʀ, ʁ /, but vowels on the other hand...

Sounding it out: 
Pro: Everybody knows the letters and many people will be able to get a good approximation of the pronunciation.
Con: People who speak different native languages than you might have problems to understand what you mean. This is especially the case for people who don't speak English very well. And even somebody from Texas might understand something differently in comparison to somebody from New England, original England, or Australia. The rose in Rose-uh-velt is one syllable in English, but two in Spanish (ro-se) and has a very different pronunciation in French. Wiktionary gave me (I mainly looked up the flower) English /roʊz/ (AE) or /rəʊz/ (BE), French /ʁoz/ or /ʁɔz/, German /ˈ ʁoːzə/, Spanish /ˈ ro.se̞/, and I don't even know where to start for non-European languages.

So you might have the best results (but most work) with showing both.