Restructuring an existing story

I have a problem. That problem is that when I started writing my story I was stupid and didn't know how chapters worked. My first chapter is 10,000 words long, my second chapter is 15,000 words long, and my third chapter is 15,000 words long. Literally everyone I've spoken to hates this. I now would like to divide my first three chapters into 9-10 chapters. Is there a proper way to do this? The new chapter divisions I have planned out all make sense from a story-telling perspective, but I want to make sure I'm not breaking any taboos on this site. Thank you.  

Re: Restructuring an existing story

Ideally, you want your chapters to be between 1200 and 4500 words. Above 5k or below 1k and people start to complain. Anything within that range should be fine, though personally I'd aim for more shorter chapters for viewcount reasons. It'd be better for stats to do 5 2k chapters than 3 3400 chapters, but people won't complain about the length either way.

But if you already have good break points that make sense for the story, go with those. Good luck with your restructure!

YoshikageKiraStan13 Wrote: I have a problem. That problem is that when I started writing my story I was stupid and didn't know how chapters worked. My first chapter is 10,000 words long, my second chapter is 15,000 words long, and my third chapter is 15,000 words long. Literally everyone I've spoken to hates this. I now would like to divide my first three chapters into 9-10 chapters. Is there a proper way to do this? The new chapter divisions I have planned out all make sense from a story-telling perspective, but I want to make sure I'm not breaking any taboos on this site. Thank you.
Simple, you can keep it the same. Just cut at certain points, and paste it over to a new part. Divide it into multiple parts, and you can solve much of this problem. Can call it part 1, 2, conclusion. Then continue from there for the rest. Unfortunately, this would have been better done in the early stages, so you could maximize on exposure. The best you can do now is to split it up, and reorder it underneath the appropriate section. 

My longest chapter so far is 26k words, haven’t gotten a problem with it. Since it is divided into 10 parts.
https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fxhdivrd.png

https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F3ersGD7.png

Edge Wrote:
YoshikageKiraStan13 Wrote: I have a problem. That problem is that when I started writing my story I was stupid and didn't know how chapters worked. My first chapter is 10,000 words long, my second chapter is 15,000 words long, and my third chapter is 15,000 words long. Literally everyone I've spoken to hates this. I now would like to divide my first three chapters into 9-10 chapters. Is there a proper way to do this? The new chapter divisions I have planned out all make sense from a story-telling perspective, but I want to make sure I'm not breaking any taboos on this site. Thank you.
Simple, you can keep it the same. Just cut at certain points, and paste it over to a new part. Divide it into multiple parts, and you can solve much of this problem. Can call it part 1, 2, conclusion. Then continue from there for the rest. Unfortunately, this would have been better done in the early stages, so you could maximize on exposure. The best you can do now is to split it up, and reorder it underneath the appropriate section. 

My longest chapter so far is 26k words, haven’t gotten a problem with it. Since it is divided into 10 parts.

Just be aware some readers don't like this.  I find it incredibly annoying, and it has been the straw that broke the camel's back for me on multiple books.

Other people won't care.  Can't please everyone.  But I suggest if you have good narrative breaks, go for that instead of just random cuts.

OverclockBeta Wrote:
Edge Wrote:

Just be aware some readers don't like this.  I find it incredibly annoying, and it has been the straw that broke the camel's back for me on multiple books.

Other people won't care.  Can't please everyone.  But I suggest if you have good narrative breaks, go for that instead of just random cuts.
Readers don’t mind this. Mine has never once had a problem, and on the plus side. Got quite a bit more following, more over. The way I write does not break narrative. As a result, the splits comes in a convenient way. As I said in another thread, I have devised quite a strict formula. This means, I can write as much and as freely as I wish. I’ve proven it can work.

While it might put off some, on the overall picture it works quite well. It just depends how the individual decides to do it, that is what will determine how it is received or not. This is simply another method to the original poster, they are free to use it or not, that is on them.

And to be fair, there are a multitude of factors that will turn away another, this one here is honestly the least that would do so. Grammar, structure, genre, tags, gender, tense, etc. Before they even hit multiple parts, these other things here will already cut the base down. Those who read wouldn’t necessarily notice how long a chapter is, and would be weeding out their other dislikes.

Edge Wrote:
OverclockBeta Wrote:
Edge Wrote:

Readers don’t mind this. Mine has never once had a problem, and on the plus side. Got quite a bit more following, more over. The way I write does not break narrative. As a result, the splits comes in a convenient way. As I said in another thread, I have devised quite a strict formula. This means, I can write as much and as freely as I wish. I’ve proven it can work.

While it might put off some, on the overall picture it works quite well. It just depends how the individual decides to do it, that is what will determine how it is received or not. This is simply another method to the original poster, they are free to use it or not, that is on them.

And to be fair, there are a multitude of factors that will turn away another, this one here is honestly the least that would do so. Grammar, structure, genre, tags, gender, tense, etc. Before they even hit multiple parts, these other things here will already cut the base down. Those who read wouldn’t necessarily notice how long a chapter is, and would be weeding out their other dislikes.

That's why I didn't say not to do it.  I just said be aware it annoys some people.

OverclockBeta Wrote:
Edge Wrote:
OverclockBeta Wrote:
Edge Wrote:

That's why I didn't say not to do it.  I just said be aware it annoys some people.
And this is why I say go ahead, since no matter what you are going to annoy some people with anything. As a result, it not does matter. This is merely maximization, which in any method, there will be backlash. In comparison to the rest, it holds the least potential of driving away someone. The point is to tell a story, while integrating into the setting at hand. This is a online setting, which means there are limitations. However, there are ways around it. 

In the end, most readers would not mind. The majority will have more dissatisfaction with the length of a single part, rather than a division. Let alone cutting back on the story to try and meet a standard. As well as, those who read tend not to notice how long something is, unless it is so absurdly long in a single sitting that they have no choice but to. 

You cannot please everyone, that is an impossibility. Though, you’d have much more other things to worry about than the division of a chapter. This situation, much like everything else is a damned if you do and damned if you don’t one. Though, it works, and does so very well at that. Collecting information from randoms throughout my rewrites. In the earlier stages, there were complaints of length being too long.

In the later stages, including some actually returning. Not a single one of them complained about the length with the division method. Often, when something is too long on an online platform. One is told to make a split, this is where the writer has to be sensible an consider the platform someone is reading on. Which is usually about 2k to 2.5k in a part. Though you’d get away with at most about 4k to 5k. Depending how one writes, this is not enough, not nearly enough. So, it goes into how best to meet both ends. Needless to say, the results were far too much to argue with. 

I’ve had quite a few blow through 240k words, and not one ever brought up that issue. They were too invested to care, and often had to pick up for a bit and put down. The range of each length was short enough for them to do this, the few that did not just kept reading until they meet the end. Which some have done so in about two to three days with this much words for one book. You’d rub someone the wrong way no matter what you do, but if you want to stand out. You have to find ways to work with the current system, while doing what you wish to do.