This thread is locked

Re: Is it True Female MCs are Unpopular?

Evaristus Wrote: I've been writing my first fiction, and a few people reading the initial chapters have commented that female MCs aren't popular in LITRPG. I know there are a few outliers like Azarinth Healer, but when I look, they seem quite rare. 

If I want to use this as a springboard to publishing someday, will using a female MC limit the popularity of my story?
I think it's because most of the LitRPG audience is male, so they want to see themselves in those stories.

Female leads in fantasy in general have historically been less popular. Thats turned around recently, but I still dont think recent fantasy novels have a 50/50 split.

Obviously it seems litrpg falls a bit behind. Is more niche. And has an association in (some) stories with audience projection on the main character for escapism. Im not sure what demographic skews are on readership gender for the genre, but yes, it seems there are currently less female-lead litrpgs.

Will it limit the popularity? Honestly, I dont think it has as much of an effect as others think. It might provide a little bit more inerta for someone to pick it up, until you have other factors going for you to push you forward later. (Popularity breeds popularity. And at the end of the day writing a good story that hits the right audience at the right time is what gets that)

Do I think at the end of the day it will effect your chances of being published? Lol, no. Im guessing at this level you're writing for self improvement. If you're posting a webnovel, that manuscript will not be accepted by a trad pub. If it does well, you can self pub it. Maybe even get an indie pub.

But have that be an end goal. Frame it in your mind that this book is practice, and its okay to fail and get better. Not the goal of this particular project

If your character is a woman, then thats it. No need to really alter it to meet slight potential market preferences, because focusing on things that matter far more such as style, characters, and story structure, will serve you much more on the path to publishing then small details that might bring a little more inital clout to a project.

Evaristus Wrote:
Evieleyn Wrote:
Evaristus Wrote: I've been writing my first fiction, and a few people reading the initial chapters have commented that female MCs aren't popular in LITRPG. I know there are a few outliers like Azarinth Healer, but when I look, they seem quite rare. 

If I want to use this as a springboard to publishing someday, will using a female MC limit the popularity of my story?
I think it's because most of the LitRPG audience is male, so they want to see themselves in those stories.
That makes sense. It seems like a lot of stories are almost wish fulfillment. I can't decide if I should gender swap now or not.
Don't swap midway through. I can tell from experience, even if it makes sense in the story, a FtM transiton won't be received well.

If numbers are important to you, you may want to think about a partial rewrite. Or you could just roll with it, and tell us your story the way you want to tell it ;)

Evaristus Wrote:
Evieleyn Wrote:
Evaristus Wrote:
Evieleyn Wrote:

That makes sense. It seems like a lot of stories are almost wish fulfillment. I can't decide if I should gender swap now or not.
Don't swap midway through. I can tell from experience, even if it makes sense in the story, a FtM transiton won't be received well.

If numbers are important to you, you may want to think about a partial rewrite. Or you could just roll with it, and tell us your story the way you want to tell it ;)
I haven't actually put it up yet, so it's just friends and other authors looking at it currently. But I think I'll just stick with the story I want to tell.
Good choice :)

Some simple data:
Pulled from the entirety of searchable Royal Road results via advanced search

Number of pages for Female Lead and with out Male Lead: 259
Number of pages for Male Lead with out Female Lead: 809

Number of stories of top 50 results by Popularity with Female Lead with out Male Lead: 5+6+11+8+3=33
Number of stories of top 50 results by Popularity with Male Lead with out Female Lead: 10+8+3+8+5=34

(To be fair, the majority of stories that aren't tagged as having male/female lead characters or multiple lead characters mostly have male lead characters, so it's not as equal as this specific data suggests)

Rising Stars Female Lead with out Male Lead: 9
Rising Stars Male Lead with out Female Lead: 30

So take that how you will

I am not sure why they're less common, though they do seem to be... but I don't think they're the liability you're suggesting.

Wandering Inn is one of the most popular LitRPGs, and it has a female main character. I've been thrilled with the size of the audience I've gotten for my story here, and my lead is not only female, she's a middle-aged mother-of-three.

While I'm sure there are LitRPG readers who'll turn aside from a female lead, I doubt they make up the majority of the potential audience. Write what calls to you.
This thread is locked