Concerning monetization/e-begging/shilling

Hello,

First off, I want to say that, at least for me, I'm putting the cart way ahead of the horse here, but have any of you put any thought into how you feel about writers monetizing and profiting off of their stories? I would personally be fine with someone putting a crypto wallet address or a patreon link in their bio once they feel like they've done enough work and generated enough good will within the community, but I want to know everyone else feels about this.

Re: Concerning monetization/e-begging/shilling

I don't think it really counts as "e-begging" if you're asking people to give you money in exchange for a product or service (i.e. a written work.) That's just a business transaction. Writing, like all art, takes time and effort, and imo creators shouldn't be shamed for wanting monetary compensation for their work (and I say that as someone who doesn't monetize their work at all.) If you were scamming your readers, not delivering on promises, trying to pass fanfiction off as original fiction, etc, that's a different story, but just asking for money is fine in my book. 

I've had a discussion about this before on RR. And some people do interpret it as e-begging or a "sob story". Weird way of viewing it, imo. But as writers we should really understand how much works goes well into making a quality web novel. I do all of my own artwork for my project. I make the maps, I do the art, I did the cover, I do the editing. And software cost, unfortunately. It's not nearly as "Free" as people make it out seem and even RR, ask for monetization. I think it is fair for Writers to say; Hey I put a lot of time and effort into something, can you please help support me so I can continue to afford the tools I need to continue to make this art. 

If an author publishes their book, you buy it to read it at all. If they post it on the internet, you read it, decide whether it's worth paying a few bucks for, and then either choose to subscribe to their Patreon or buy it (if they've published it as well). If you can't afford it, no big deal. The fact that you're reading at all is an ego boost for the author, even more so if you comment on their story or review it. 

Still, they're volunteers that are putting up their story on the internet for free and volunteers get discouraged easily. One chapter that's 3,000 words long would've taken two hours if they write and edit it, which would be $24 if they'd worked instead. The mere fact that you're reading at least 20 chapters on this platform, which would be $480 worth of pay for free is a privilege. 

You're not obliged to buy their book or support them on Patreon, but saying that they're e-begging is like saying that volunteers who are feeding the homeless out of their own pockets are not justified in asking for monetary support from people. It's absurd.

Dusty_Glamour Wrote: One chapter that's 3,000 words long would've taken two hours if they write and edit it
I know a lot of people who take much, much longer than two hours to write and edit a chapter; maybe for the super fast people it's only two hours, but for a lot of the writers on RR it's not that easy. So, if anything, this post is understating the opportunity cost of writing and posting here.

Aster Wrote:
Dusty_Glamour Wrote: One chapter that's 3,000 words long would've taken two hours if they write and edit it
I know a lot of people who take much, much longer than two hours to write and edit a chapter; maybe for the super fast people it's only two hours, but for a lot of the writers on RR it's not that easy. So, if anything, this post is understating the opportunity cost of writing and posting here.

I'm aware. I was just lowballing what people take for a decent chapter that's around 3,000 words long. It takes me roughly two hours, so that's what I went with. That's when I'm amped up with creative juices, though.  ^-^