Re: Best web fiction communities besides RoyalRoad?

People should stop giving so much shit to Wattpad.

The front page is useless, not gonna lie. You need to use tags in order to find things you like which can be quite intimidating at first, and there are lot of people who can't write more than 10 chapters (luckily, those can be spotted right away from description)

But it's heaven for fanfiction and smut writers. Seriously, look up malereader community. I've recently started a Arknights fanfic and I see people going for my other stories. My first story will be hitting 500k reads soon.

InfantryTerminator Wrote: People should stop giving so much shit to Wattpad.

The front page is useless, not gonna lie. You need to use tags in order to find things you like which can be quite intimidating at first, and there are lot of people who can't write more than 10 chapters (luckily, those can be spotted right away from description)

But it's heaven for fanfiction and smut writers. Seriously, look up malereader community. I've recently started a Arknights fanfic and I see people going for my other stories. My first story will be hitting 500k reads soon.

great. meanwhile no one, literally no one read my stories there. not a single view other than the ones from me. while the same stories got thousands of views on other sites, uploaded at the same time.

splattenburgers Wrote:
MarytheGorgon Wrote: I will take the honor of saying the obligatory "wattpad used to be great back in 2015" mention in this thread, thank you thank you.
Why made the place jump the shark.

They started implementing alot of changes such as getting rid of forums which helped people organize contests, reviews, groups, etc. There used to be big communities that held awards or gave authors interviews or made their own magazines (when I wrote the enchantments in 2017 it was in several anime inspired novel contests and I applied to have it in one of wattpad's writer made magazines). 

Once forums left, they changed the notification system, started restricting what you could read offline - wattpads pull was you could read books for free offline by authors from all over the world. And suddenly you had to pay to read ahead or watch a gazillion ads from amateur authors. 

The wattys, a competition for authors became more and more bias/based on popularity then talent and many authors I liked moved here or where offered contracts by tapas/webtoons to move there series and huge fan bases over AND get paid. 

splattenburgers Wrote:
Babooshka Wrote: Scribblehub, but that place is basically the same as Royal Road in terms of stories. There is also some smut over there.
Why are anime/litrpg/romance stories so massively overrepresented in online fiction communities? I swear at least 70-80% of the stories on most of these sites belong to those catagories.
I also notice that it's in the art communities too. Like on DeviantArt. The majority of the art is anime style.

MarytheGorgon Wrote: The wattys, a competition for authors became more and more bias/based on popularity then talent and many authors I liked moved here or where offered contracts by tapas/webtoons to move there series and huge fan bases over AND get paid.

Basically, If you ain't making romance shit or YoutuberXYoutuber preggers oneshots, you ain't going anywhere on Wattpad.

I know because I was discouraged from writing a long time because I wasn't getting any views on there.

splattenburgers Wrote:
InfantryTerminator Wrote: But it's heaven for fanfiction and smut writers. Seriously, look up malereader community. I've recently started a Arknights fanfic and I see people going for my other stories. My first story will be hitting 500k reads soon.
I'm confused. Was this intended to imply there are many or few male readers within the community?
They mean male insert readers. It's a type of fanfic/writing where it's written in second person for a male reader to insert themself in the story.

David Wrote:
splattenburgers Wrote:
Babooshka Wrote: Scribblehub, but that place is basically the same as Royal Road in terms of stories. There is also some smut over there.
Why are anime/litrpg/romance stories so massively overrepresented in online fiction communities? I swear at least 70-80% of the stories on most of these sites belong to those catagories.

Romance is popular everywhere, not just in the webnovel world.

As far as the litRPGs go, "overrepresented" might be a case of expectations not aligning with reality. In the broader fiction market, litRPGs are a tiny niche that most people have never even heard of. And they account for less than 1% of all fiction. (Maybe even less than 1% of all speculative fiction like sci-fi/fantasy.) 

On RR, litRPGs account for closer to 15-20% of the market. You can see this if you do an advanced search using the litRPG tag, and divide the results by the total number of stories on the site. The same percentage usually holds true if you look at the top 10 or top 100. I haven't looked at those recently, but you rarely see more than 1 or 2 litRPGs in the top 10. 

So litRPGs are still a small portion of the market on RR. It just seems like a lot compared to the rest of the world. It's like if you go to a big city and see a lot of Ferraris and Lamborghinis driving around. It might seem like they're "everywhere" even if they still account for a small minority of the total cars.

As far as why, they're just trends. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Anime's been growing in popularity over the last few decades. And people who played RPGs as kids are now old enough to write these stories, and they have platforms that will read them.

Why are litrpgs so popular on what was original a litrpg fansite and then became a litrpg hosting site which has now broadened out to other progression fiction and finally all web fiction?

It just shocks me how many people don't understand the history of the site and the reference of the site name.

Other Wrote:
MarytheGorgon Wrote: The wattys, a competition for authors became more and more bias/based on popularity then talent and many authors I liked moved here or where offered contracts by tapas/webtoons to move there series and huge fan bases over AND get paid.

Basically, If you ain't making romance shit or YoutuberXYoutuber preggers oneshots, you ain't going anywhere on Wattpad.

I know because I was discouraged from writing a long time because I wasn't getting any views on there.
Haha! Wow! Honestly, I was never interested in Wattpad. Even before all the drama and downfall of late.

OverclockBeta Wrote:
David Wrote:
splattenburgers Wrote:

As far as the litRPGs go, "overrepresented" might be a case of expectations not aligning with reality. In the broader fiction market, litRPGs are a tiny niche that most people have never even heard of. And they account for less than 1% of all fiction. (Maybe even less than 1% of all speculative fiction like sci-fi/fantasy.) 

On RR, litRPGs account for closer to 15-20% of the market. You can see this if you do an advanced search using the litRPG tag, and divide the results by the total number of stories on the site. The same percentage usually holds true if you look at the top 10 or top 100. I haven't looked at those recently, but you rarely see more than 1 or 2 litRPGs in the top 10. 

So litRPGs are still a small portion of the market on RR. It just seems like a lot compared to the rest of the world. It's like if you go to a big city and see a lot of Ferraris and Lamborghinis driving around. It might seem like they're "everywhere" even if they still account for a small minority of the total cars.

As far as why, they're just trends. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Anime's been growing in popularity over the last few decades. And people who played RPGs as kids are now old enough to write these stories, and they have platforms that will read them.

Why are litrpgs so popular on what was original a litrpg fansite and then became a litrpg hosting site which has now broadened out to other progression fiction and finally all web fiction?

It just shocks me how many people don't understand the history of the site and the reference of the site name.
Well, it's not like they put that information on the site...and I mean I read TOS and the rules.

Other Wrote:
OverclockBeta Wrote: It just shocks me how many people don't understand the history of the site and the reference of the site name.

You know, a lot of people don't make litrpg, right? They just know it's a site where you can post works. We need a history lesson before coming on here or something? Lmao.
L Wrote:
OverclockBeta Wrote:
David Wrote:
splattenburgers Wrote:

Well, it's not like they put that information on the site...and I mean I read TOS and the rules.
L Wrote:
Other Wrote:
OverclockBeta Wrote: It just shocks me how many people don't understand the history of the site and the reference of the site name.

You know, a lot of people don't make litrpg, right? They just know it's a site where you can post works. We need a history lesson before coming on here or something? Lmao.
Bwahahahaha! Right dude.

There are like five people a week going, "Waaaah, why is everything on here litrpg??  I hate it."  The answer is because it's a litrpg site that expanded to other genres.  You don't need a history lesson to be a member, and I read plenty of stuff here that's not litrpg.  Dpn't care if you wanna write something else; if it's good I might even read it.

But the history of the site is somewhat relevant if you want to be successful posting works here.  One of the most basic skills of being a writer is knowing your audience.  And the audience for litrpg is biggest on this site compared to any other platform except perhaps kindle(unlimited).

A similar answer applies to another question asked about romance and anime-themed stories/light novels.  Because web fiction originated primarily as fanfiction.  Romance/slash fiction was a huge proportion of fanfiction.  Anime was also a huge inspiration for a lot of fanfiction.

Other people mentioned what gets the most traction on other sites, like scribblehub and wattpad, and why.  Because it's useful to know if you want to get the most out of your effort.

You don't have to know anything about anything.  There's no law about being informed.  But if you pay attention just a little bit more to the world around you, you might find you learn something useful.

The site has pivoted away from showcasing its litrpg history for branding/marketing reasons.  Naturally webfiction in general is a bigger user audience than just litrpgs or even progression fantasy.  There are lots of valid reasons for that switch.  But it does leave room for some confusion as far as what's popular on the site and how to work that to a writer's advantage.

OverclockBeta Wrote: There are like five people a week going, "Waaaah, why is everything on here litrpg??  I hate it."  The answer is because it's a litrpg site that expanded to other genres.  You don't need a history lesson to be a member, and I read plenty of stuff here that's not litrpg.  Dpn't care if you wanna write something else; if it's good I might even read it.

But the history of the site is somewhat relevant if you want to be successful posting works here.  One of the most basic skills of being a writer is knowing your audience.  And the audience for litrpg is biggest on this site compared to any other platform except perhaps kindle(unlimited).

A similar answer applies to another question asked about romance and anime-themed stories/light novels.  Because web fiction originated primarily as fanfiction.  Romance/slash fiction was a huge proportion of fanfiction.  Anime was also a huge inspiration for a lot of fanfiction.

Other people mentioned what gets the most traction on other sites, like scribblehub and wattpad, and why.  Because it's useful to know if you want to get the most out of your effort.

You don't have to know anything about anything.  There's no law about being informed.  But if you pay attention just a little bit more to the world around you, you might find you learn something useful.

The site has pivoted away from showcasing its litrpg history for branding/marketing reasons.  Naturally webfiction in general is a bigger user audience than just litrpgs or even progression fantasy.  There are lots of valid reasons for that switch.  But it does leave room for some confusion as far as what's popular on the site and how to work that to a writer's advantage.

I think the main issue is how you're sounding. Like super condescending like people can't just have different interests. I know, you're a regular so it's tiring but acting like they're whing is a bad look. Even how you're responding to me is a little bit rude lmao.

"But if you pay attention just a little bit more to the world around you, you might find you learn something useful."

Like I'm some simpleton who doesn't know what appeals to my audience means, but I might be reading into it a lot. That's just how it sounds. I form my audience from what I write. I'm appealing to those who like what I like. 

But yeah, just don't sound like you're talking down to people and maybe your point would be a little more valid.