Looking to assist a writer

I’m not amazing at writing. I’ve been told my ability to write is compromised of 3/4ths ‘fluff’ and doesn’t get to the point. So getting to the point, I’d like to write a story for this website. But I don’t believe I have the skills necessary and would like to instead help someone else write a story by giving an intimate level of feedback and ideas. If anyone’s interested let me know, lord knows I have too much free time on my hands.

Re: Looking to assist a writer

PedroCorti Wrote: I have the skills necessary  Have fun, do not think about what the rest thinks.
This^

Just make your story and make edits later if you find it necessary. If you think most of your story is ''fluff'' then maybe try figuring out general idea how you would want the chapter to go. Do rough first draft in 30 or so minutes and afterwards start to add things that would bring more value /detail to your story. Idk I'm not pro but that is where I would go from here

Michaelos Wrote:
PedroCorti Wrote: I have the skills necessary  Have fun, do not think about what the rest thinks.
This^

Just make your story and make edits later if you find it necessary. If you think most of your story is ''fluff'' then maybe try figuring out general idea how you would want the chapter to go. Do rough first draft in 30 or so minutes and afterwards start to add things that would bring more value /detail to your story. Idk I'm not pro but that is where I would go from here

-I haven’t ever gotten past the stage of compiling a Notes document detailing story and character elements before. I suppose I should actually writing something a shot for once.

Frost_Rune Wrote: I’ve been told my ability to write is compromised of 3/4ths ‘fluff’ and doesn’t get to the point.
Maybe you're the type that just gets caught up in too much planning? Just go for it. 

Giving life to all of your planned worldbuilding is a different thing altogether. Can't really comment much on that because I'm a write a chapter first and see what happens kind of writer. 

Temple Wrote:
Frost_Rune Wrote: I’ve been told my ability to write is compromised of 3/4ths ‘fluff’ and doesn’t get to the point.
“Maybe you're the type that just gets caught up in too much planning? Just go for it. 

Giving life to all of your planned worldbuilding is a different thing altogether. Can't really comment much on that because I'm a write a chapter first and see what happens kind of writer.”

I think I use planning as a shield to hide from the nerves of actually committing anything. I’d say I tend to get plan more when I’m anxious. But if I just refuse to think too deeply about anything, then I’m able to act. Maybe I’ll just start writing and see how long I can type?

I think I might be able to give a good reply in the forums for once since I was in a similar position to you not too long ago.

In school I was the type of person who could score almost perfect results in national exams in reading and writing but lord knows I could never implement that in a fictional story. As such I spent years dreaming of stories but telling myself I was lacking the skills and should just give up on writing them.

Until late last year when I decided to just give it a try. I'll just resurrect this random idea I had, I thought one night and got to work. It took me almost three months to write a single chapter and I labored over it forever only for it to reach five-thousand words. I published it and reread it. And it is terrible. It really is. But its still the first two chapters of my story and I have continued from there. In just the month since I started publishing, I've come to find that my writing has improved and my ability to edit my own writing has as well. Heck, just yesterday I managed to write 1500 words. A record for me that I would have never thought possible just four weeks ago.

Does it lack descriptions? Too much fluff? Is it boring? We don't know and neither will you until you start writing it. Even if it sucks, just keep going! You can always revise later and the community here is cool enough to not berate you too much over the quality.

So, go ahead, share your stories with the world.

Signed,
Someone who has no idea how to write or plan a story but does it anyway

Admian Wrote: It took me almost three months to write a single chapter and I labored over it forever only for it to reach five-thousand words.

This is kind of like my experience. Besides my current story, I've written a couple other web novels. In all three of them, it took me months to upload the first chapter, and it still sucks compared to later chapters. I suppose, it's more of starting it that's the hard part, like starting to diet or workout. 

Frost_Rune Wrote: I’m not amazing at writing. I’ve been told my ability to write is compromised of 3/4ths ‘fluff’ and doesn’t get to the point. So getting to the point, I’d like to write a story for this website. But I don’t believe I have the skills necessary and would like to instead help someone else write a story by giving an intimate level of feedback and ideas. If anyone’s interested let me know, lord knows I have too much free time on my hands.

I'm not sure I've quite grasped your intent here. Are you saying you want to help another author write, and then use what you've learned to write your own story (because it will make you feel more prepared), or are you saying you want to help another author write because you've given up? 

If it's the latter, let me say that the best way to learn to do something is by just...doing it. I also recommend you follow and read stories that you like and try to analyze what makes them good. Authors on RR are pretty friendly too, so I think if you asked them why they did a certain thing the way they did, they'd be happy to help you. 

As for the feedback about fluff you've received, there are a few things you can do about it. You can try posting your work and getting some feedback on it pretty explicitly (there is even a Constructive Comments Exchange Group in the forums here. Everyone there is great!) and try to fix this tendency. You can also get feedback and assess if what you were told is even accurate in the first place. The thing with critique is that you have to always take what's useful, and discard the rest. It might help to get another couple pairs of eyes on it! 

If it's the former, I'm sure you'll have a lot of takers, though you'd have to post in the Reviews forum offering free feedback. 

Cheers, and good luck! 

If you want to bounce feedback, that would be great for a lot of people. If you do it because you want to write your own story, but you fele like you can't, start writing shorter stories, get feedback on it, revisit it and learn like that. 

I for one am an OK writer, but am struggling with bigger plots and scenario's. SO I am focusing on learning that better and better, trying to grasp the necessary skills to start planning, building a plot and choosing the right scenes to get there. I wish I could do this better and that there was better material for learning on these issues.

Anyway, if you wnna bounce ideas, you can always send me a message. If you want feedback on smaller pieces of work, send me a message and I'll be happy to review 1-2 pages of work. You learn writing by breaking it down, what works, what does not work and you take that into your own writing. Do not underestimate yourself :)