Re: The effect of Author culture on Story MCs

Indeed indeed. As we mature I think the culture that we are exposed to also change how we perceive our own culture.

Reminds me of my story while I was 16. was so proud of it too. I have only learned about animes and mangas and was so immersed in it I used japanese culture and names...

on a medieval settings.

What was I thinking. I mean, it has no japanese in it, why is there a katana?

Man, I shudder at that early work of mine.

Re: The effect of Author culture on Story MCs

Quote:Reminds me of my story while I was 16. was so proud of it too. I have only learned about animes and mangas and was so immersed in it I used japanese culture and names... 

My nephew most snottily insisted that appreciation of anime and Manga did not exist for my own generation. I asked him in turn, 'never heard of Speed Racer (around even before my time) or Star Blazers?' He had to look them up, and he was astonished. 

Quote:Reminds me of my story while I was 16. was so proud of it too. I have only learned about animes and mangas and was so immersed in it I used japanese culture and names... 

on a medieval settings. 

In one of my fantasy stories, a short part meant to give life to a far off land, I made every other detail medieval Japanese in origin with the counter detail Italian Renaissance. It took several drafts to make it a near seemless synthesis, but it was worth it.
Reminds me, Daggerfall had katakanas, diakatanas, tantos and wakashis within a medieval setting, as well.