Re: Let's talk about sex scenes

Ari'ellexParker Wrote: For me, I don't have any problems but a lot of writers I've come across feel uncomfortable writing them.

How about you?
I used to have trouble just writing romance, but I decided to try a fantasy with some erotic scenes in it and my apprehension vanished after I finished that story. But I cut the super spicy bits out and posted it here.

OriginalKingD Wrote: I write sex scenes all the time. Hell, I used to write erotica under a pen name. They're easy. "Insert pulsating rod A into anticipating hole B," and all that. However, I don't tend to put them on Royal Road because I assumed that was a big no no around here.
Haha! Nice. I want to do erotica at some point.

And I'm pretty sure its allowed here if it fits into your story. Like I don't think RR allows straight erotic stories but sex is allowed in a plotline

LambentTyto Wrote:
Ari'ellexParker Wrote: For me, I don't have any problems but a lot of writers I've come across feel uncomfortable writing them.

How about you?
I used to have trouble just writing romance, but I decided to try a fantasy with some erotic scenes in it and my apprehension vanished after I finished that story. But I cut the super spicy bits out and posted it here.
Oh nice! Yes honestly, I started out writing sex scenes in a very vulgar manner lmao but after Ive met a lot of writers, i've learned to tone it down

Ari'ellexParker Wrote:
OriginalKingD Wrote: I write sex scenes all the time. Hell, I used to write erotica under a pen name. They're easy. "Insert pulsating rod A into anticipating hole B," and all that. However, I don't tend to put them on Royal Road because I assumed that was a big no no around here.
Haha! Nice. I want to do erotica at some point.

And I'm pretty sure its allowed here if it fits into your story. Like I don't think RR allows straight erotic stories but sex is allowed in a plotline

You should totally give erotica a shot. It can be fun to write. I had fun anyway, I had no idea I was a hopeless romantic. I'm actually not sure why I stopped.

Never wrote one. Mainly because I don't feel like it translates as well in written form than in visual form (and mainly because I know I am not that good of a writer in that particular aspect, so I know I won't translate it well XD). And I hate it when sex scenes are used when the plot don't require it. And since mines never required them, I never wrote them. XD  The most spicy it got was my villainess seducing a man by kissing him while sitting on top of him, so that her hair cut off his vision while she poisons him with her poisoned hairstick. :)  (a very, very short paragraph in my otherwise vanilla novel The Shadow Paradigm). I don't mind kissing, it's easy to write about and can be inserted more easily in relation to the plot; but a sex scene... nah, never did and never will. XD

They're a pain in the ass to write, especially if there are multiple participants with the same pronouns.

Silver Street Strip Club (not posted here for obvious reasons) was originally intended as full-on erotica, but it was annoying to write decent sex scenes, so it gradually morphed more into contemporary fiction, though still being about the people who work at a strip club. Book 5 doesn't have a single sex scene (though Book 6, the last book, has one or two).

The story I post here, The Eighth Warden, doesn't have any explicit scenes.

I have no problem reading them or writing them as long as they fit in the story. I only have one in my fiction, though, and I edited it probably 3 times as hard as everything else I write. I also felt obligated to provide a warning in the text before it happened, despite the story always having had the sexual content tag. Maybe because it was the first such scene to come up in 150k words and I didn't want it completely blindsiding people. DrakanSweat

Regarding sexual content on RoyalRoad, I have seen people on the forums talking about a supposed "10% rule," meaning no more than 10% of a fiction's content can be explicit for it to be allowed on the site. I don't think this is an official rule though. Maybe someone else knows for sure?

A a mildly interesting side note: despite having seen a lot of anti-sexual content sentiment on here in the past, there are almost always one or two people in my referrers who clicked onto my fiction after filtering the search by sexual content (and I kind of feel bad for disappointing them, lmao).

I know that I could write one, but I really don't think it fits the series I am planning to write. Sure there are some flirtatious jokes or lewd remarks by some characters, but I won't add a full on on page sey scene.

And having a literal dragon as MC is not the main part that makes it weird in my head, it is some other uncomfortableness because my age rating isn't supposed to be that high.

My greatest debate as I consider writing stuff that's more heavily in the romance genre. I don't mind them existing. But I don't get any enjoyment personally out of writing or reading them. Yet I understand them to be kind of a "requirement" of the romance genre according to some people. So do I find ways to include them or just not bother? (I say this in terms of writing in general, really, since I don't imagine I'll post much romance-centric content here as far as I have planned now.)