Demanding/Enthusiastic Readers Pestering/Inquiring for New Chapters

So, you can see in the title that there are some slashes there. The point of this is that writers see these types of readers in two different ways. What I mean is that you have readers out there that will ask for writers to continue the story or ask when they will continue their story.

Now, I write fanfiction and original fiction. In the fanfiction circuit readers who do this are considered demanding and pestering. It is the view that writers are human and have other things going on in their lives and that they aren't doing this to get paid. So, the writers typically try to discourage this type of behavior or express that they don't like it.

Now, I have experienced this when posting my fanfiction but it didn't bother me, I guess because the people who made these sorts of comments on my work didn't sound demanding and pestering. They just expressed that they liked my work and looked forward to more of my writing. Now, on RR, I have not experienced this yet as I just have one chapter up and I'm seriously working on revising it.

The question, to you guys, is this an issue on Royal Road? How do you all feel about it? Do you feel that the readers are demanding or just enthusiastic? Do you feel they are pestering or inquiring?

People have different perspectives on things like this. So, I'm curious about people's thoughts here on Royal Road.

Re: Demanding/Enthusiastic Readers Pestering/Inquiring for New Chapters

Paradoxcloud Wrote: People can say whatever they want, if they like my work that’s great. 

Plus, if someone’s being annoying on the internet then you can just block them in most places, RR too, no point getting into a fit over it.

Except on the fanfiction site I write on. You can't block people there, though I heard they are working on a feature to do so. Anyway, I agree with you.

Hell, when people write something like this on my chapters, I'd get the next chapter done early and put it out there. Like someone's having fun reading my stuff and they're commenting? I'm more than happy to oblige! I think those comments are AWESOME.

(Now, this could also be what a Patreon is for. Open that thing up, and let people pay you for advanced chapters. That's my recommendation on how to handle that situation.)

kieranpierce Wrote: Hell, when people write something like this on my chapters, I'd get the next chapter done early and put it out there. Like someone's having fun reading my stuff and they're commenting? I'm more than happy to oblige! I think those comments are AWESOME.

(Now, this could also be what a Patreon is for. Open that thing up, and let people pay you for advanced chapters. That's my recommendation on how to handle that situation.)
This. I'd be ecstatic if people told me they want me to keep going.

Thankfully, some very kind people do comment! 

I think the question is dependent upon context.

Personally it depends on how the last chapter has gone. If an author has a consistent schedule and then suddenly ghosts their readers and gets a few "when will this be picked up again?" type comments it's fine. I took an impromptu break for Christmas and found myself flattered when readers commented asking when the next chapter was.

However, if a writer has communicated they are taking a break - made a chapter that's just them stating their grandmother died or similar and they need time to deal with that - then any comments asking for more chapters feel entitled and obnoxious.