Re: What Book or Author Made You Decide To Become A Writer?

I'm not exactly sure which writer was the first one to inspire me to start my writing journey, as I started writing poetry first before moving to prose. However , I do have a few inspirations today that do make part of who I am as a writer:
- Pablo Neruda 
- Gabriela Mistral 
- Rick Riordan 
- Tolkien 
- Langston Hughes
- Brandon Sanderson
- Eichiro Oda 
- Kentaro Miura 

Nilonyan Wrote: George R.R. Martin's ASOIAF (A Song of Ice and Fire) series pretty much gave me the thought of writing. 

How the characters and relations were written hooked me and how the world was built reeled me in, reading the lore of ASOIAF's world feels like reading history, I love it! and I want to make something like that!
Have you read all five books? It must be excruciating waiting for his sixth and seventh book? 

Also, have you tried Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy? I believe you'd also like that as well. 

Enlornder Wrote: ¡En realidad era un amigo! Me dio una libreta con rayas universitarias y una cubierta a cuadros en tercer grado y me dijo que quería comenzar un club de escritura conmigo en el que hiciéramos historias. Tuve grandes dificultades para escribirlos, pero realmente me ayudó y me enganchó a escribir. Todavía tengo el cuaderno :)
Que bonito lo que falta es que sea una amiga y al final terminen siendo pareja y pum novela de amor

AuthorMarcel Wrote:
Nilonyan Wrote: George R.R. Martin's ASOIAF (A Song of Ice and Fire) series pretty much gave me the thought of writing. 

How the characters and relations were written hooked me and how the world was built reeled me in, reading the lore of ASOIAF's world feels like reading history, I love it! and I want to make something like that!
Have you read all five books? It must be excruciating waiting for his sixth and seventh book? 

Also, have you tried Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy? I believe you'd also like that as well.
I am at the middle of A Feast for Crows and planning to continue again, and for me at least, I am not that hung up because I haven't even gone up to date lol.

And I'll check it too if I have the time.

Peanuts, Charles Schultz   I taught myself how to read with a collection of his comics.
Soon after I got a hold of some lurid horror comics from the 50s, before the comic code bans forced comics to be tame. My aunt owned an antique store and she had hundreds of them. They fed my imagination something fierce.
I started doodling my own comic stories.
Local pharmacy carried DC comics. I was hooked on the Green Arrow. 
By eight I was into books. Except for Nancy Drew, I skipped children's lit altogether.
Dune, Chronicles of Amber, Babel-17, Starship Trooper, Stars My Destination, Illustrated Man, Ringworld, Dorsai, Deathworld, A Scanner Darkly were my earliest reads.