How do you feel about adding a few paragraphs from your book into the description?

I've been thinking about putting a couple spoiler free paragraphs from my book into the description of my fiction to not only give the reader a taste of the quality of my writing, but also to prevent my pet peeve of them skimming and jumping through chapters. What are your thoughts? A lot of authors do it, so I thought I should too.

Re: How do you feel about adding a few paragraphs from you book into the description?

Camelboy Wrote: I've been thinking about putting a couple spoiler free paragraphs from my book into the description of my fiction to not only give the reader a taste of the quality of my writing, but also to prevent my pet peeve of them skimming and jumping through chapters. What are your thoughts? a lot of authors do it, so I thought I should too.
I think it's best to just write a blurb. Readers will very quickly get a feel for your style as they start reading anyway 

Re: How do you feel about adding a few paragraphs from you book into the description?

My longest novel published here has 5 paragraphs synopsis.
It includes meta info of me telling the reader what kinda novel it is, and what can they expect.

One of the reviewers wrote that the synopsis was too long and he didn't even read it.

No matter how much effort you put into your synopsis....no, the more effort you put into it, the less chance the person who would not read beyond chapter will not even glance at it.

Re: How do you feel about adding a few paragraphs from your book into the description?

Mad Wrote: Personally, I dislike it when someone puts the first paragraphs of the story in the description. It turns me into a horrible snobby gremlin who, upon finding a single typo or misplaced comma, will decide this story is not worth my time. Which annoys me, because usually I don't mind any number of typos as long as the story is good.
Doesn't have to be the first few, but paragraphs from the story in general, like from a later chapter. I understand where you're coming from though

Re: How do you feel about adding a few paragraphs from your book into the description?

Story descriptions are written in the Third Person, Present Tense. There are few, if any, adverbs or conditional clauses. If your story is Third Person, Present Tense and the paragraphs you intend to post contain very few adverbs and clauses, then you may be okay.

But a Blurb is also written using as few words as possible. That said, when you state that you intend to add a few a paragaphs of your story to your Blurb, you're talking about at least a dozen sentences.

A dozen sentences is all the longer a Blurb ought to be. So no -- doing so is not advised. One paragraph maybe, a sentence or two, sure -- but not several paragraphs.

❤🐉❤

This is a thing I see done in a lot of older trad pub novels, and I've never been a fan of them. In the first place, if you give me something exciting that's happening in your story, all it does is ruin it for me when I get to that point, because before I've read your work I have no reason to care about things that are happening in your story. 

And if you give me something that's not exciting, well, that ain't gonna hype me up to read what you've written. 

I'm with the rest of the folk here, I think folks are better serves by crafting a good informative blurb than they are trying to hook readers with bits from their story in said blurb. It usually doesnt take long for a reader to figure out of they're jiving with your story or not. 

Jwbenjamin Wrote: This is a thing I see done in a lot of older trad pub novels, and I've never been a fan of them. In the first place, if you give me something exciting that's happening in your story, all it does is ruin it for me when I get to that point, because before I've read your work I have no reason to care about things that are happening in your story. 

And if you give me something that's not exciting, well, that ain't gonna hype me up to read what you've written. 

I'm with the rest of the folk here, I think folks are better serves by crafting a good informative blurb than they are trying to hook readers with bits from their story in said blurb. It usually doesnt take long for a reader to figure out of they're jiving with your story or not.
That makes a lot of sense. All i read is 30s - 70s fantasy and sci-fi. Asimov, Zelazny, etc.