How do you imagine your fiction in your head?

When you write your fiction, do you imagine it as an anime, or do you imagine it as live action? I've done both, personally. My earlier stories I imagined as anime more than not. My current story, I imagine as live action in my head as I'm writing.

I've noticed that imagine my fiction as one or the other greatly affects the type of personalities the characters have, as well as the type of humor. No to mention how fantastical the fantasy elements can get.

How about you all?  

Re: How do you imagine your fiction in your head?

I primarily use anime as my frame of reference, which has been both a blessing and a curse. Although the other story I'm working on I visualize in real life since the story is supposed to be contemporary; keeping it real ensures it doesn't stray too far beyond the scope.

The anime one though, anything goes. One of these days, I'll have a little chibi Iris wallpaper drawn to give me a dose of cuteness in my everyday life.
DrakanMelt

My completed fiction and my work-in-progress are both in my mind as animated shows. The current one I finished, The Adventures of BLUE EAGLE, looks like the old Super Friends cartoon, as the artwork makes pretty obvious. The new one I'm working on would look like a moderately kid-friendly "Western Anime" hosted on Netflix. Something like She-Ra and the Princesses of Power or the Avatar series. Even the Marvel's Spider-Man cartoon fits the aesthetic well. The artwork I've been commissioning sells it pretty well, for the most part.

Vague concepts and ideas that slowly transform into complex, thought-out scenes, still-images, and action sequences. Similar to parkertallan's point, my imagination when it comes to my stories is fractured into small instances, glimpses that, together, approximate. It helps to outline, which allows me to get a clearer picture in my head of exactly what I'm looking for, which I then edit freely if a more interesting idea arises in the midst of writing.

Specifically, as to your "how it appears" question, my answer is "realistically" but fantastical. This is to say, it looks like "real life" in my head, but in the world setting I've created for the story.

Camelboy Wrote: When you write your fiction, do you imagine it as an anime, or do you imagine it as live action? I've done both, personally. My earlier stories I imagined as anime more than not. My current story, I imagine as live action in my head as I'm writing.

I've noticed that imagine my fiction as one or the other greatly affects the type of personalities the characters have, as well as the type of humor. No to mention how fantastical the fantasy elements can get.

How about you all?

Usually I see it as a live action movie. It kinda causes issue sometimes because It's hard to translate audio-visual transitoons/setting into words.

This really depends on the genre. When I write fantasy, it usually looks much like Advent Children, with a dash of the Tales RPG series or Xenoblade for good measure (though I'd like to try to reframe it a bit more like RWBY...) When I write superhero fiction I typically draw visual inspiration from Teen Titans, the DCAU, and 2000s-era live action movies, usually changing between styles depending on which characters are in focus or which mood I'm going for. Horror / paranormal fiction and basic drama are almost always visualized as live action movies.

One or two, I imagine in the style of Frazetta paintings (just with more pants and fewer battle thongs). I've got one more in anime style, a few somewhere between disney cartoons and the style of Wolfwalkers, some are in my own style at whatever age I started working on them. Most I just think of as 'realistic'. Most with at least a tiny dollop of psychadelica. 

That said, all these are kinda like vague snapshots. 

Depends on the story I'm writing. A lot of my short stories were done via live-action inside of my head. 

The current novel I'm writing is imagined more like a live-action tv series, although it could easily be done animated. I'd even go as far to say that under a proper animation studio such as MADhouse or Studio MAPPA it'd look real good and have bigger leeway in terms of special effects.