Possible romantic sub-plot advice?

All righty, so I came up with a new story idea recently. Since I'm close to the end of my current story, I decided that I can start this new one. However, I'm also considering having a romantic sub-plot in there...but I'm not the best at writing romances (I'd say that the closest I've gotten to writing actual romance would be after a year of practicing that particular couple, and even then I'm not a big romance person to begin with so it's still probably not actual romance). With the main plot being the life of a character from a friend's perspective, the romantic sub-plot is not necessary, so I can always just...not have a romantic sub-plot to begin with if I can't write it or it doesn't sound like it would actually help at all.

The main advice I'm asking for is generally writing a couple as the relationship progresses (all other couples I've written don't have any on-screen relationship development because it doesn't happen during the course of the story), but I would also like to hear any suggestions as to whether or not I should include it with what little I have explained about the plot. Thanks in advance for anyone who tries to help!

Re: Possible romantic sub-plot advice?

Probably not, adding romance even when it’s not the focus of the story is by itself not a bad idea, it can give some depth to characters for example, but if you’re not familiar with the genre or how to write it you’ll likely just keep spinning around in circles or rush through it. 

As for advice you have to understand that generally speaking the focus of the romance genre is to display, in high detail, the origin, start and early development of a relationship. The middle and end are usually not written about. With that being said you’d have to think about how this fits into your story, are you displaying an already existing couple and if so what aspects of their lives do you want to highlight by showing it to the audience. Would it be about the interpersonal behaviours these characters display or something else?

Basically just ask yourself how you want your audience to feel about these characters and write what you think would make them intriguing. Maybe you’ve developed a character to be generally brash, but then you create a situation in which they have to care about their actions because it involves their partner.

There are more things ro say, but it all depends on how important the relationship will be.

Paradoxcloud Wrote: Probably not, adding romance even when it’s not the focus of the story is by itself not a bad idea, it can give some depth to characters for example, but if you’re not familiar with the genre or how to write it you’ll likely just keep spinning around in circles or rush through it. 

As for advice you have to understand that generally speaking the focus of the romance genre is to display, in high detail, the origin, start and early development of a relationship. The middle and end are usually not written about. With that being said you’d have to think about how this fits into your story, are you displaying an already existing couple and if so what aspects of their lives do you want to highlight by showing it to the audience. Would it be about the interpersonal behaviours these characters display or something else?

Basically just ask yourself how you want your audience to feel about these characters and write what you think would make them intriguing. Maybe you’ve developed a character to be generally brash, but then you create a situation in which they have to care about their actions because it involves their partner.

There are more things ro say, but it all depends on how important the relationship will be.

Thank you for the input! I can generally see how the story could benefit from a romantic relationship so I might just write a few practice story bits to see how well I can do, and the main plot won’t be harmed either way (whatever events I know I want to happen, they can be platonic or romantic depending on which route I go).

Life of a character from a friends perspective? Rather unique, but romance doesn't fit with many genres. 
As paradox said, you'll be running in circles if you don't know what you're doing. It'll feel forced.

Of course, if it's a slice of life or something similar then romance wouldn't feel too out of place.

PinkRose0106 Wrote: whatever events I know I want to happen, they can be platonic or romantic depending on which route I go

Romance can be platonic. 
But I'll make an ass of u and me and assume that you mean something along the lines of smut. I'm gonna go on a limb and say that smut is something you definitely wanna avoid. It doesn't add to the story and no one wants to read that (barring a few extreme exceptions).

You also have to consider the dynamic that these two characters will pose in a romantic circumstance. Are you gonna go with tried and true opposites attract or the good ol' "they are my other half." 
It depends on how deep you want this romance to be, but make sure to take care of their actions leading up to their romance and not just jumping into it. I've seen many authors mess up romance by making it unrealisticly fast paced and also why I refrain from it.

Probably add in some pieces about the two people in the relationship gradually opening up and trusting each other. Even if they were friends before they became a couple, being in a romantic relationship is differrent to a friendship. In my experience, while both need a strong foundation of trust and acceptance of one another, a romantic relationship is generally more intimate. 

Some people make changes in personality once the enter their relationship. Some brash characters may become more caring, not just to their partner but their friends as well. That can also be a bad thing of course, as it can lead to said person changing themselves and becoming disingenuous. An arc like that could be interesting if it fits the overall themes of the story. 

But that's something that's unique to every individual. 

I think, since the romance is not the main aspect of the story you can practice with writing it with the romance part in, and then disregard it if it doesn't work out. As long as the story works and you're happy with it, I'm sure it will turn out good.

StolenPasta Wrote: But I'll make an ass of u and me and assume that you mean something along the lines of smut. I'm gonna go on a limb and say that smut is something you definitely wanna avoid. It doesn't add to the story and no one wants to read that (barring a few extreme exceptions).

I meant things like one character defending the other. I understand that it may not have been clear, but I’ll clarify now: as an example for one of the possible scenes, I was going to have one character defend the other (the character whose life was important to those around her wasn’t accepted by a lot of people in the other community). My intention was to say that situations like this could be platonic—that meaning friendly in this case—or romantic—aside from their friendship, the defense also comes because of love.

slok Wrote: Probably add in some pieces about the two people in the relationship gradually opening up and trusting each other. Even if they were friends before they became a couple, being in a romantic relationship is differrent to a friendship. In my experience, while both need a strong foundation of trust and acceptance of one another, a romantic relationship is generally more intimate. 

Some people make changes in personality once the enter their relationship. Some brash characters may become more caring, not just to their partner but their friends as well. That can also be a bad thing of course, as it can lead to said person changing themselves and becoming disingenuous. An arc like that could be interesting if it fits the overall themes of the story. 

But that's something that's unique to every individual. 

I think, since the romance is not the main aspect of the story you can practice with writing it with the romance part in, and then disregard it if it doesn't work out. As long as the story works and you're happy with it, I'm sure it will turn out good.

Thank you for your input as well! I think this is what I’m going to do.