Re: Siblings.

How is my relationship with my siblings? Terrible. My entire family all hate each other.

You ever watch Rick and Morty? Imagine an entire family with Rick's sense of grandeur, ill-temperament, intolerance, and self-loathing, but with the intelligence and accomplishments of Jerry. That's my family.

Fiction's only role in that dynamic was allowing me to escape from it.

Pretty big age and maturity gap between my sister and I so we don't click very well. I think I tend to give my character better sibling relationships to compensate, and if not that, then the character ends up being either (a) a only child or (b) a child who's sibling doesn't get acknowledged past a few lines.

I am very close in age with my younger sibling. At this point, our method of communication has gone beyond mere words. With the use of my middle fingers, I can convey emotions beyond human comprehension. 

putting that into writing though? not achievable 

It's exists. We talk to each other. I have fun with my niece. As for it affecting my writing, none.

Yes, my main character has a sibling. An older sister like myself. I just never captured there relationship being like my own. They aren't particularly close which isn't like my own. I wanted them to have a different sibling dynamic. Why his family is a bit like mine, lets just say, we take a divergent path when it comes to having a close family because can't say that I am at times. Nothing on them, it just that well, I can't exactly talk about children, normal career stuff, and all that fun stuff when it's something I don't have. I am quiet the oddball. Which in a way, he is too, for entirely different reasons.

I don't have any siblings, so it's always been a bit difficult to flesh-out sibling relationships in my works. I had siblings in my main work, but I got rid of them because it was too hard  :0
The hardest part is probably creating realistic, every-day interactions. 

Given that I live thousands of miles away from my sibling, most of our communication is done through memes sent over Discord.
It gets funny when an aunt or someone asks if I've heard from my brother lately. "Yep." "Oh, how is he? What did he say?" "He said... *checks message* 'is that pizza on a pineapple', and then sent me a video about hexagons."

Zearth Wrote: Quick one. Gonna go soon. 

How is your sibling relationship and how does fiction reflect said relationship?

As for us who don't have siblings, what do you find interesting about those with siblings?
My relationship with my siblings are ones of extremes. My older sister and I? We get along great! We're always happy to see each other and can talk about things with each other we can't talk about with the rest of the family. My younger brother? We absolutely DESPISE each other. Murder attempts have been made by both of us. We can tolerate each other long enough to get through Christmas without violence, but we avoid each other. 

As for how does fiction reflect our relations? I'd say me and my sister fit into the close sibling trope fairly well, though I'm not sure I've seen fiction depict a mutually assured hatred and contempt that my brother and I share for one another. At least never a deeply and utterly anyways.

My siblings and I swing like a pendulum. When we're good, we're great! But we're very alike, all very proud and argumentative, so when we're bad, we're bad. The older we get, the less that pendulum swings and we're able to recognize our patterns and triggers. But the fun we have making my parents regret creating us....

Like most people with siblings, it's given me the ability to peg "This author doesn't have a sibling" from a mile away. My sister and I used to greet each other by punching each other in the boob. My brother and I hardly finish a sentence when we speak to one another in person. You just get a quirk with someone when you've grown up with them. 

For people without siblings that are looking to write siblings, I'd say the relationship to a sibling is very similar to a roommate that is too comfortable that you can't get rid of, and sometimes don't want to. I think that for me, my interactions with my siblings are very human. As such, I think it helps me write quirky and believable dialogue with character friends (especially idiot friends).

Very well I think. We go out at night sometimes just running around, walking, and talking. I have a grand total of 6 siblings, all very different than me in age. I’m 15 years older than the youngest and the second youngest is 6 years older than the youngest. A lot of fights lol. Verbal and physical.

Well, I love all of them and I think they love me too. Hopefully. Some are full blood related, not blood related at all, and one is a half blood related. Def reflected in my own writing 

I actually have a few siblings, but the one I’m closest to is probably one of my closest friends in general. The dynamic is something I use a lot in my stories—a good deal of my characters have a sibling, and if they don’t then they have a sibling-like figure. They tease each other and give each other backhanded insults/compliments, but still genuinely care for each other—which is pretty much what I do with my sibling. (Thinking on it, I don’t think I’ve written a single non-supportive sibling? I might be wrong, though.)

I have siblings and I will say that my relationship with them is good, I mean, I'm closer to some than I am with others, but that's life. As for it affecting my writing. It really doesn't because most of the characters I write about either don't have siblings or I don't mention them because they aren't really important.

Whenever I talk to my sister it's pretty crazy how differently male and female brains work. I love plot and scenarios like jurassic park and fast forward whenever people start yapping like god forbid skylar from breaking bad, she loves character relationship driven sitcoms and drama. 

It obviously slows in my writing as well. I'll have grandoise hunger games/battle royale-like setups that test human nature, but with little character relationships when in fact you can execute a great royalroad story with very little plot fanciness and solely character relationships. 

Then I ask for her help and she starts immediately pitching in YA-like characters from some valencian tv show, for example some girl who is great at fitting into high society despite coming from a poor background, she's a chameleon in the fact that she knows how to dress and do makeup like a high class girl. And of course her name recommendations are all slightly YA-ey. 

I learn from her a bit because she has a lot of what I'm deficient in, but she's hilariously disinterested in plot and dismisses everything as "that's too much for me". 

Also apparently she informed me that there's some trendy female irish writer right now who publishes novels that have zero plot, and are entirely based off sardonic wit like, for example, a boyfriend beating a girlfriend and the girlfriend internally monologuing "he hit me and I got skinnier". I understand where it's coming from, but it's not something I'd personally read in my free time, especially as a guy.