Do Litrpg readers (Other than anime fans) Prefer long, drawn out blow-by-blow combats?

This is definitely an area I am willing to budge.
Generally, a combat, even with lots of stuff going on, I like to describe a cool move or two and then a fight is over.
Honestly, if I start seeing x has defeated x for 300 exp or You have done 12 damage to x I literally get bored and skip to the end.
even a lot of long drawn out fight scenes, unless there is a lot of exposition or monologuing during the fight to lighten them up, I just want to see the 'cool parts' and skip all the blow-by-blow.

By default, I don't include that sorta thing. I like to see the awesomely cool moves, and a bit to show what the monster or bad guy's abilities are, and then skip all of the combat until the end with a time passing bit or something.

Is this a mistake in litrpg? Should I be putting a crapton more powerups and details into each fight?

And no, I am not including the anime fans. Those guys can watch a fight and power build up sequence for 3 entire seasons and just think it's cool.

Re: Do Litrpg readers (Other than anime fans) Prefer long, drawn out blow-by-blow combats?

Probably so, though fight scenes that are too long get confusing.

Something like this (please forgive the  bad writing)

As the Imperial Swordsman jumped into the air, spinning his body diagonally to land a devastating blow from above, Arundell dashed forwards.
He evaded the swordsman's blade and collided into him with the momentum of a charging bull. Armored shoulder met stomach, and the Imperial was flung bodily through the air. He crashed heavily into the ground, his arm oustretched as to brace for the fall. A loud snap was heard. Blood sprayed across the grass. A bone was jutting out of the fallen swordsman's arm, his hand now dangling uselessly, connected to his arm only by a flap of muscle. He looked at his arm in shock, eyes wide, and then after a moment, he screamed. His voice pierced the once tranquil night. Arundell quickly split his head in twain with his handaxe, silencing him.

I like descriptiveness and a bit of gore. I dislike long fight scenes, as I think short fights simply are more fun. I think I speak for a lot of litrpg readers, or maybe just me.

Re: Do Litrpg readers (Other than anime fans) Prefer long, drawn out blow-by-blow combats?

SpaghettiWerfer Wrote: I like descriptiveness and a bit of gore. I dislike long fight scenes, as I think short fights simply are more fun. I think I speak for a lot of litrpg readers, or maybe just me.

Oh, I do that already. I meant like... the team is fighting giant bugs, and the fight scene lasts like 3 pages with constant bolded announcements.

SpaghettiWerfer Wrote: God, that sounds like a nightmare! 
If the action is too long, generalize some of it and just really go into detail for some crucial moments.

At least thats how I feel. Some might like 3 pages with constant announcements.

Well, here's an example of what _I_ consider a long, drawn out combat, from Meatball:

Caution- this thread contains violence (Duh! it's a thread about fighting)

I glance up and, as expected, there was Killerwatt, the electric skulls on his trenchcoat glittering as he prepared to fire a bolt. He was famous for being Team Today’s ‘Bad Boy’, happily showing up backstage at death metal concerts and being seen in the company of Rap musicians. The fact that he had slept with two 14-year-old groupies was not something that would put him on my list, but what he did afterward to silence them and their boyfriends was unforgivable.
I was not too worried about Ginger, actually. Until she actively hurt him, the Frenchman was known to take it easy on attractive villainesses and holding her like he was, as a utility melee, he couldn’t crush her throat through her armor or even wind up for a decent kick. However, I had studied the son of a b*tch for a year and had a pretty good idea of what his reactions would be.
“Hey, Fro*!” I called, keeping an eye on Killerwatt, almost 80 feet up in the air. And rapidly approaching the Frenchman so that he couldn’t get a clear shot. “I hear your boyfriend blames you for the clap.” His face was a picture of rage as he turned, and braced his powerful right leg. “You are our target, boy, let us see how you insult when I kick off your head!”
Oh, this was going to be fun. Without comms, hopefully, Mesmaria was close enough to hear that. Sometimes something like that was all it took to keep someone still attracted to heroism on the straight and narrow. For a while, anyway.
I dived forwards, with one final check on Killerwatt’s position, and theatrically raised my sword over my head, jumping and curling my knees into my chest like I was going to come down on him like a cannonball.
His Leg rocketed out, catching both of my heavier shinguards. Pain rocketed through my legs and even my chest from where my knees were driven into my torso, and I felt myself flying, spinning, and turning as I flew.
I extended my legs and arms at the last moment, and slashed sideways, catching Killerwatt with the most amazing surprised look on his face before his body started falling in two uneven chunks towards the ground below. My legs were not broken, but man, the landing was really going to hurt.
I looked down and noticed that the Frenchman had caught a similar fate, his distraction had allowed Ginger to uncoil her lash… and then I realized that it had not come from her hand. She had made it spool out and cut him into pieces from her free elbow.

I like that sort of fighting, but that was the longest fight scene to date. I was wondering if I should expand considerably on that sort of thing, or just call it good.

The thing I really hate though, even in litrpg, is hit points.

https%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-uBxmYsApvLs%2FU...Points.jpg

Yeah, hit points are somewhat irritating! Maybe we could have a more abstract version of it, like a clear indication of damage.

I think longer fights with competent opponents would be fun.  Really up the tension with spur of moment decisions, feints, and back-and-forths.

Want to action scene review swap xD? We can exchange over mail.

P.s I like your action scenes, I can imagine the action in my mind, which is of vital importance to me:)

SpaghettiWerfer Wrote: Yeah, hit points are somewhat irritating! Maybe we could have a more abstract version of it, like a clear indication of damage.

I think longer fights with competent opponents would be fun.  Really up the tension with spur of moment decisions, feints, and back-and-forths.

Want to action scene review swap xD? We can exchange over mail.

P.s I like your action scenes, I can imagine the action in my mind, which is of vital importance to me:)

Sure thing, My biggest problem is making sure what I see in my mind is what goes over on paper.
Like I said, I have been an RPG GM for like 35 years. The whole time I have had to make up cool action sequences for players who just chuck dice and mumble something about hitting :P Yeah, made me a popular DM, but this is the first time I am making it for ME. So I am really worried about making sure that the action sequences buzz, you know?

Too many authors, especially in litrpg, do the same thing players do. roll dice, mumble about hitting, and throw up some wordcount in boldface. I want to do much better :)

SpaghettiWerfer Wrote: Yeah, hit points are somewhat irritating! Maybe we could have a more abstract version of it, like a clear indication of damage.

Right now, I am using a percentile for health. It's abstracted, but it gives a picture of your overall chance of dying.

If you know RPG's, think d20 abstract 'toughness' saving throws like in d20 modern and mutants and masterminds. As you take damage, you chance of getting closer to death or disablement increases, until at 0% you are unconscious or dying...but nothing like hit points.

To be honest, most litrpg's are set in a vr universe. you would think, in all that time, someone would come up with something better than hit points for virtual damage. I kind of like saving throws, but in d20 they are a little too granular.

My friends and I are playing a version with saves that uses 3d6 instead of d20, same numerical values. It makes overwhelming blows just as overwhelming, but middling attacks are not 'oops, a 1, you died'. yeah, you could still roll a crit fail, but on 3d6 the chances are like 1 in 200 instead of 1 in 20.

'under the hood' in my LitRPG I run it the same way.