All my world building is gone

So the note program I was using has decided to...just delete my entire work. All the characters, lore, world building....everything. Including the cloud save....Now I can't even get it to open.

peodead  I'm utterly devastated. The hell do I even do now.

I don't know if I'm even able to continue it after that. All the stuff I can't remember. Do I just stop writing that story? Start over?

All that's left is what i remember and what is published here.

Re: All my world building is gone

Oh noooo, I'm so sorry :( I've had that happen, twice. Once was a computer malfunction, once it was all on a site that exploded. It's so devastating.

BUT if you write down everything you remember and go back to it to fill in the holes, there will be stuff that you don't remember--which means that it might not be worth remembering, and you can put in something you like better. It'll take a lot of frustration and work, but if it's something you're willing to do, it's worth it. But it's also okay if it's too frustrating to do right now, or at all. I did abandon one of those wipeouts I've had in the past. Still fills me with rage.

Aly Wrote: Oh noooo, I'm so sorry :( I've had that happen, twice. Once was a computer malfunction, once it was all on a site that exploded. It's so devastating.

BUT if you write down everything you remember and go back to it to fill in the holes, there will be stuff that you don't remember--which means that it might not be worth remembering, and you can put in something you like better. It'll take a lot of frustration and work, but if it's something you're willing to do, it's worth it. But it's also okay if it's too frustrating to do right now, or at all. I did abandon one of those wipeouts I've had in the past. Still fills me with rage.

Yeah. gonna try to that...but for now? I'm certain I'm not going to continue it for a while. This is such a blow that I think I will finally take a break from it...and work on something new. It's not like I wasn't have massive creativity slumps with it anyways. 

luda305 Wrote: Reach out to Campfire to troubleshoot and see if it's recoverable.  

If not, take a long break (a month or six) to mourn, then go write something new.

given the steam cloud version was nuked? It's no doubt unrecoverable. Had other stuff nuked in that. The main issue with it not opening at all is probably fixable by a reinstall. But yeah, I'm just going to take this as sign to switch gears and start a new thing for a while.

Are you sure that it’s gone, have you checked the cloud save file itself on steam ?

If it is take this as a harsh lesson for why you need a backup, buy a thumb drive and you’ll be able to save all that you have ever written and all that you will ever write for the rest of your life. 

Edit: Also, and I don’t know why I didn’t mention this first, but don’t forget about the myriad of ways you can recover data, depending on your cloud save you might have to do this without internet connection so your data doesn’t get deleted again though.

Damn that sucks, sorry to hear that! I think I'd start by just doing a voice memo on your phone and talk to yourself for a good chunk of time trying to remind yourself of all the things/articles you might've written that were lost. I always find talking about it outloud will jog my memory. Do it sooner than later though. I used to use campfire, I've switched to making my own worldbuilding files in google sites, which is pretty secure and has a cloud upload you can access on any device. Highly recommend google sites if you're looking for somewhere else to store your information for next time :) Hope this helps