Could we replace "average views" with something useful?

On the Dashboard for my current story, where I have two chapters posted, it shows Total Views of 70 and Average Views of 35.  It appears to be a simple average: [number of total views / number of chapters].  That's... not particularly helpful information, as 1) I can derive it directly from other information I already have with a single calculator operation and 2) it doesn't actually give any useful information on engagement.  If, hypothetically speaking, 10,000 people viewed my first chapter and then 99% of them decided it was garbage and didn't read on to the rest of the story, it would still tell me I have an average of over 5,000 readers across all chapters.

What would be nice to have in the at-a-glance header section there is something like "number of people who have read your story all the way to the end."  (If you wanted to get sophisticated about it, you could have an algorithm that disregards chapters posted less than a certain time ago, so it doesn't fall to 0 every time an author posts a new chapter.)

Re: Could we replace "average views" with something useful?

Anthony Wrote:
The Wrote:
Anthony Wrote: "number of people who have read your story all the way to the end."
You can tell from the number of views on your latest chapters.

Yes, but that requires scrolling down to the list of chapters.  As I mentioned above, it would be helpful to have this information in the header.
No, the latest chapters are at the top of the list, while the earlier ones are at the bottom...

Anthony Wrote:
The Wrote: No, the latest chapters are at the top of the list, while the earlier ones are at the bottom...

Yes.  And on my high-resolution screen, the top of that list is more than an entire page below the header.  Therefore, it requires scrolling down to view it, and once you do so, the rest of the header information is no longer visible.

You'll really love it when you find out the list only includes your six most recent chapters. You'll have to scroll even more to see your first few chapters after clicking a button no less. Hard work. 

slackeuse Wrote: You'll really love it when you find out the list only includes your six most recent chapters. You'll have to scroll even more to see your first few chapters after clicking a button no less. Hard work.

There's no call for ridicule here.  The header provides an at-a-glance summary of aggregate information for your story.  I'm simply pointing out that having through-line information displayed there would make more sense, particularly WRT tracking reader satisfaction with your story, than a largely meaningless average.

Anthony Wrote:
slackeuse Wrote: You'll really love it when you find out the list only includes your six most recent chapters. You'll have to scroll even more to see your first few chapters after clicking a button no less. Hard work.

There's no call for ridicule here.  The header provides an at-a-glance summary of aggregate information for your story.  I'm simply pointing out that having through-line information displayed there would make more sense, particularly WRT tracking reader satisfaction with your story, than a largely meaningless average.

I think it was a funny response? 

To me, it seems like you're asking to replace something that you don't personally find useful (partly, it seems, because of your personal experience of the author dashboard). On the other hand, others have responded that they find the stat useful and not at all a meaningless average. I imagine when someone has 50+ chapters, the stat becomes increasingly useful over time as the story continues to grow. Then it really does serve as an "at-a-glance summary of aggregate information for your story." Moreover, it's been explained it's an important stat for the list algorithms. Not sure what else to tell you.

Anthony Wrote: 2) it doesn't actually give any useful information on engagement.
Sure it does. If you have three chapters, with 300 views and 100 average views, that means basically everyone who read your first chapter liked it enough to read all three chapters. Meaning you're doing a good job at writing. But if you have 300 views and, say, 50 average views, that means a significant number of people read your first chapter and decided it wasn't interesting or well written enough to continue. Therefore, having an average views which is basically total views divided by number of chapters is a sign that you are doing a good job at writing. If it's less, you aren't doing as good.

Anthony Wrote: What would be nice to have in the at-a-glance header section there is something like "number of people who have read your story all the way to the end."
Given how many readers here don't have accounts, I'm not sure it would be possible to get a 100% accurate number for that. I mean, if I log out and read one chapter of your story on my computer, and the second one on my tablet, I will have read all the way to the end. But, since I was on two different devices, the algorithms wouldn't know that. So the algorithm wouldn't count me, so the number would be wrong.

Basically, average views is useful. I like it. I'm sorry you don't.

As said before the average views is real handy for those with tons of chapters so even if it ain't useful for you I don't think that's enough to arbitrarily remove it.

Anthony Wrote: number of people who have read your story all the way to the end
Pretty sure you're lookin' for a premium feature. 

With premium, you can access a graph of viewership rates of somethin' :/