Top 5 - Fantasy

As the title says what are your top 5 fantasy books or series? Can be traditional long form or a web novel / series here on RR. I am interested to see what everyone enjoys. My secondary motive is I am struggling to find something to read as of late looking for some recommendations from this list. 

My top 5 are!
  • The Farseer Series by Robin Hobb
  • The King Killer Chronicles by Patrick Rothuss
  • The Licanius Trilogy by James Islington
  • The Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson
  • Age of the Five by Trudi Canavan

Re: Top 5 - Fantasy

• When it come to more classic fantasy anything by Roger Zelazny or Terry Pratchett.
  • If you haven't read Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin that's another one to consider.
  • The Old Kingdom Series by Garth Nix, not perfect but decent.
  • And finally, if you like Forgotten Realm fantasy you can try The Dark Elf Trilogy or the Icewind Dale Trilogy.

The Stormlight Archives, which I am currently going through in fact. I've finished Way of Kings and am now reading Words of Radiance.

Lord of the Rings might sound a bit generic but a classic in my opinion.

Percy Jackson is one I grew up with and still very much enjoy.

Fullmetal Alchemist is a manga but one I hold dear to my heart as a fantasy story.

I'm not sure if Steven King's IT book counts, since it's primarily horror with fantastical elements, but it's a great read as well.

Oh god, I can't narrow it down to books, so you're getting series from me my dude.

* The Dragon Knight Series by Gordon R Dickson (Man ends up in body of dragon and needs to save his kidnapped girl-friend/wife. Good magic system many good stories.)
*Wizard in Rhyme Series by Christopher Stasheff (English Major ends up in fantasy land where magic is driven by Rhyme. Very fun characters with great stories)
* Myth Inc. Series by Robert Lynn Asprin (A glorious comedy series of a kid with barely any magic bumble fucking his way into legendary wizard status.)
* Hawk and Fisher Series by Simon R. Green (A Dark but fantastic fantasy investigation series following an ex-prince and princess turned bad-ass cops. The prequel story is good to.)
* Retief Series by Keith Laumer (A sci-fi Diplomate that gets things done by bending rules and acting more like a secret agent than diplomate. Very fun and funny)

The first four are easy:
  1. Stormlight Archive
  2. Kingkiller Chronicle
  3. Cradle
  4. Mistborn
#5 is a bit tricker.

As far as enjoyment goes, it might be Mother of Learning. However, that one has some quality issues. Don't get me wrong, it's great for a webnovel but I suspect it might not hold up to some published books after a re-read.

I've enjoyed A Song of Ice and Fire, but I've lost interest in that over the years.

Gentlemen Bastards is great, but not necessarily my thing. I like all Mark Lawrence's work, but I always struggle to get invested in his characters or genuinely care about the stories. Same problem with Lightbringer and Codex Alera—both series were entertaining and well written but they always fell short of feeling epic for me.

I'm only one book into Robin Hobb's series, and I've only read the first three Wheel of Time books so far. Maybe one of those series will take the #5 spot when I'm finished with them?

1. Discworld
2. Dresden Files
3. Anything by Dianna Wynne Jones (Archers Goon is probably my most favorite, but all her stuff is great.)
4. Lord of the Mysteries - probably the most engrossing piece of webfiction I've ever read. It's not quite as polished, but it really hit the spot for me.
5... Dunno. There's lots of good stuff, but I'm not sure if anything else springs to mind when I think of 'the best'.

1. LOTR
2. Wheel of Time
3. The Dark Tower
4. Sevenwaters Triology
5. Powder Mage series

These are both the best and meant something special to me.

I see Robin Hood mentioned a lot in Fantasy circles, and while I think they have some cool stuff, I have never be able to finish single one of their books. I just get bored or turned off by how the characters act

Mine would probably be

1. Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
2. Stormlight Archive - Brandy Sandy
3. Eternal Champion, specifically Elric - Michael Moorcock
4. Faithful and the Fallen - John Gwynne
5. Discworld - Terry Pratchett

Honourable mentions:

6. First Law - Joe Abercormbie
7. Malazan - Steven Erikson
8. Realm of the Elderlings - Robin Hobb
9. Conan - Robert E Howard
10. Memory, Sorrow & Thorn - Tad Williams

ANCT Wrote: 1. LOTR
2. Wheel of Time
3. The Dark Tower
4. Sevenwaters Triology
5. Powder Mage series

These are both the best and meant something special to me.

I see Robin Hood mentioned a lot in Fantasy circles, and while I think they have some cool stuff, I have never be able to finish single one of their books. I just get bored or turned off by how the characters act

I'm pleasantly surprised to see the Farseer series and Robin Hobb mentioned a lot in this thread. The Farseer series was the first book I chose to read outside of school many years ago. I think her writing is very hit or miss though. She doesn't follow the usual pattern of a fast paced first person protagonist who's also there own antagonist. Instead she takes it slow to build up the world and more importantly the characters. It's a style that I enjoy too (but forcing myself to write third person for my first book). 

I would also say there's a large amount of sadistic happening's in her books. The main character's are put through hell.   

Stepps Wrote:
ANCT Wrote: I see Robin Hood mentioned a lot in Fantasy circles, and while I think they have some cool stuff, I have never be able to finish single one of their books. I just get bored or turned off by how the characters act

I'm pleasantly surprised to see the Farseer series and Robin Hobb mentioned a lot in this thread. The Farseer series was the first book I chose to read outside of school many years ago. I think her writing is very hit or miss though. She doesn't follow the usual pattern of a fast paced first person protagonist who's also there own antagonist. Instead she takes it slow to build up the world and more importantly the characters. It's a style that I enjoy too (but forcing myself to write third person for my first book). 

I would also say there's a large amount of sadistic happening's in her books. The main character's are put through hell.
I absolutely love world building and perfectly fine with slow paced stories. Really, just take a look at my own stories title. I was trying figure out which ones I tried, but know I think I may have mixed them up with someone else? There was one with a throne of bones on the cover and a boy fleeing a fort being sacked. Then there was one where a boy was training to be a cavaliver to aid his country taking their wild east over and got fat cause of magic build up? Any of that sound familiar? 

ANCT Wrote:
Stepps Wrote:
ANCT Wrote: I see Robin Hood mentioned a lot in Fantasy circles, and while I think they have some cool stuff, I have never be able to finish single one of their books. I just get bored or turned off by how the characters act

I absolutely love world building and perfectly fine with slow paced stories. Really, just take a look at my own stories title. I was trying figure out which ones I tried, but know I think I may have mixed them up with someone else? There was one with a throne of bones on the cover and a boy fleeing a fort being sacked. Then there was one where a boy was training to be a cavaliver to aid his country taking their wild east over and got fat cause of magic build up? Any of that sound familiar?

Here main body of work is the "Farseer" Series that starts with the Assassins Apprentice, Assassins Quest etc. I'm not sure what the Thone of Bones cover is, though might have been old iterations of the Farseer cover? 

The fat cavalier is from the "Soldier Son Trilogy" which sounds like a great title. Unfortunately I hated the series. There's only so much bad luck / torture one person should have and I feel like the main character was possibly someone the author despised with all her might!