Re: Litrp: why are kids useless?

Brian Wrote:
Mr Wrote: That's what you are talking about. Giving a little idiot a nuke and revard him when he blows up the school. Or the church. Or the neighbor who slapped him for stealing apples.

Heh, my uncle taught me gun safety at 7, and by eight I was regularly pellet varminting and cleaning my own kills. This still feels like a case of babying children for too long. My Grandma would have tanned my hide purple if she heard I'd struck a teacher in anything but self defense.

Kids are idiots. I was an idiot. babying them extends and validates that idiocy until it becomes long-term habit. That means they go into adult life as an idiot. You wind up with an entire generation of idiots.
Yeah but your uncle probably rewarded you for using gun safety properly, not for what you killed with that gun. Not for the random, indiscriminatory kills that could get you levels. A 7 year old who has a gun, and gets exp for shooting whatever wildlife? That's a fairly straightforward recipe for nope. 

You have to understand something....

Litrpg isn't supposed to be logical. It isn't supposed to be smart, it isn't supposed to be internally consistent, hell, the reason why the authors write it in the first place is that they reject logic.

Why learn about realistic combat, wounds, blacksmithing, and logistics if you can just replace all the complexity of reality with simplistic video game stats and level-ups?

It's like playing a video game in literate format. That's what the name of the genre means.

Do you ever ponder while playing, I dunno, whatever game or mmorpg you like, why npc kids aren't as strong as player characters?
Do you wonder where the monsters kept endlessly respawning from, or how they randomly drop all kinda loot? And why do they have these items on themselves in the first place?
Do you wonder where the raw materials you forge your equipment from are coming from and if they're ever going to run out?

Of course, they aren't going to run out, because it's an oversimplified fake af world crafted for the sake of gameplay, not narration or realism. And litrpg are video games in the literate format, except you're not the one playing the game, the author is. You're just watching their 'Let's play' passively.

Sake Wrote: Do you ever ponder while playing, I dunno, whatever game or mmorpg you like, why npc kids aren't as strong as player characters?
Do you wonder where the monsters kept endlessly respawning from, or how they randomly drop all kinda loot? And why do they have these items on themselves in the first place?
Do you wonder where the raw materials you forge your equipment from are coming from and if they're ever going to run out?

Yes, actually, that's why I stopped playing Skyrim

Brian Wrote:
Tea777 Wrote: Further, because it is litrpg it means violence.

Erf. Umm... No. I strongly disagree.
There is literally an entire popular subgenre of litrpg called 'crafting litrpg' which revolves primarily around nonviolent advancement.
And then there is crafting core, god core, citybuilder, and roguebuilder litrpg which is undeniably litrpg, but often revolves more around problem solving than violence.

Check out KDU. Litrpg does not mean violence, it means stats. Violence is usually just the easiest way to measure growth.
Fair enough, my mistake. :)

Haust Wrote:
Brian Wrote:
Mr Wrote: That's what you are talking about. Giving a little idiot a nuke and revard him when he blows up the school. Or the church. Or the neighbor who slapped him for stealing apples.

Heh, my uncle taught me gun safety at 7, and by eight I was regularly pellet varminting and cleaning my own kills. This still feels like a case of babying children for too long. My Grandma would have tanned my hide purple if she heard I'd struck a teacher in anything but self defense.

Kids are idiots. I was an idiot. babying them extends and validates that idiocy until it becomes long-term habit. That means they go into adult life as an idiot. You wind up with an entire generation of idiots.
Yeah but your uncle probably rewarded you for using gun safety properly, not for what you killed with that gun. Not for the random, indiscriminatory kills that could get you levels. A 7 year old who has a gun, and gets exp for shooting whatever wildlife? That's a fairly straightforward recipe for nope.
Fair point. 'Quests' could be sorted in types like dungeon/kill quests, fetch quests, crafting etc.

Children could be excluded from PvP until after puberty but can do other quests like crafting, fetch. 

Depending on the author they can limit as they like. Include monster slaying or exclude from 'kids' quests. If you think it is stupid just make it so kids can't exp from it. That can be spun as a postive or they are useful or go the Log Horizon route.

Where kids are useful for crafting and fetching and are exploited. Like child exploitation (to make it dark). 

Also - A binary morality system could be put in place like Fable game series where if you do 'evil' actions your apperance grows ugly and scary looking but if you help people you become pretty and graceful. Problematic sure but clear visuals. 

Tea777 Wrote:
Haust Wrote:
Brian Wrote:

Fair point. 'Quests' could be sorted in types like dungeon/kill quests, fetch quests, crafting etc.

Children could be excluded from PvP until after puberty but can do other quests like crafting, fetch. 

Depending on the author they can limit as they like. Include monster slaying or exclude from 'kids' quests. If you think it is stupid just make it so kids can't exp from it. That can be spun as a postive or they are useful or go the Log Horizon route.

Where kids are useful for crafting and fetching and are exploited. Like child exploitation (to make it dark). 

Also - A binary morality system could be put in place like Fable game series where if you do 'evil' actions your apperance grows ugly and scary looking but if you help people you become pretty and graceful. Problematic sure but clear visuals.
I mean yeah, sure, maybe a modified system for kids would be good. 

Still, if I could help it, I wouldn't want to give the average seven year old a gun, end of story. And that's coming from someone who believes it's for the better to teach toddlers about knife safety and let them handle knives early. Knives hurt them. They therefore take it very seriously and are often more careful than adults are, but if they get hurt, they just hurt themselves. They get a cut in a finger or something and learn not to do it again. 

But a weapon designed to be a weapon isn't a tool, and if someone gets hurt by accident, it'll be someone else. Not the kid getting a little injury that needs a band aid. 

DrBuller Wrote: I support kids being given a system. Having them make mistakes and not optimize their build is the best
Lol. 

A world in which everyone is born with random stats, as per the will of god. It's karma if your stats are useable and people with difficult to use stat builds just lived poorly in their past life. Rarely, someone is born without any allocated stat points, and may stat themselves as they wish, individuals blessed by god to attain greatness. 

And then they meet a god and they say nah it's just that most people stat themselves as babies by accident because the system makes funny noises

Haust Wrote:
DrBuller Wrote: I support kids being given a system. Having them make mistakes and not optimize their build is the best
Lol. 

A world in which everyone is born with random stats, as per the will of god. It's karma if your stats are useable and people with difficult to use stat builds just lived poorly in their past life. Rarely, someone is born without any allocated stat points, and may stat themselves as they wish, individuals blessed by god to attain greatness. 

And then they meet a god and they say nah it's just that most people stat themselves as babies by accident because the system makes funny noises
oh god... that means that being lucky is just being a baby that moved in a specific pattern a lot

I really don't like kids (that is below 16 in our world, or, say 12 in a medieval setting) having a System. Yes, the System can make notes, what the kid did for those years, and make recommendations for the time the kid gets his system-access.
For example: the kid helped out in the smithy, he gets a larger chance to get the [Apprentice Smith] Class. Or a higher [Smithing] Skill.
He was a lazy slob in his childhood, he will get lower stats.
If he was a bloodthirsty little monster, he will get the [Bloodthirsty Monster] Perk.

But everything after he reaches "legal age". 

Immediate validation and gifts for successfully stealing apple, torturing kittens or setting the house on fire, I'm not convinced.

DrBuller Wrote:
Haust Wrote:
Lol. 

oh god... that means that being lucky is just being a baby that moved in a specific pattern a lot
There are strange rituals from ancient times that involve training babies to move in very specific patterns very early, as a kind of religious prayer dance game for infants, but today no one knows why the ancient cultures were obsessed with such superstitious nonsense. 

Haust Wrote:
DrBuller Wrote:
Haust Wrote:
Lol. 

There are strange rituals from ancient times that involve training babies to move in very specific patterns very early, as a kind of religious prayer dance game for infants, but today no one knows why the ancient cultures were obsessed with such superstitious nonsense.
DrakanFascinating

Most likely it is because the author can't allow random kids to steal the protagonist's place of the person who abuses the System the best. 

You know, kids aren't stupid, and if the world suddenly works on the RPG game logic, they may actually figure out the rules faster than adults would. But the protagonist of the LitRPG is an adult, or at least a young adult, or unspecified legal age because it is the intended audience. No other genre demands the protagonist to be this old, or this gender, or whatever, so it isn't obvious, but power fantasies do - in all power fantasy, the protagonist is always intended audience age, and surprisingly enough, those aren't kids. 

Quote:You know, kids aren't stupid, and if the world suddenly works on the RPG game logic, they may actually figure out the rules faster than adults would. 
Lets play a tiny violin for all the imaginary litRPG-world parents whose babies learned [Earbusting Scream] and kept screaming because the level-up 'DING' sounded funny.

Haust Wrote:
Quote:You know, kids aren't stupid, and if the world suddenly works on the RPG game logic, they may actually figure out the rules faster than adults would. 
Lets play a tiny violin for all the imaginary litRPG-world parents whose babies learned [Earbusting Scream] and kept screaming because the level-up 'DING' sounded funny.
Gosh, if the story had a learn skills by doing system, kids would end the world before the Demon Lord could even get started.  XD

OverclockBeta Wrote:
Haust Wrote:
Gosh, if the story had a learn skills by doing system, kids would end the world before the Demon Lord could even get started.  XD
A story where the strongest humans strive to become powerful babysitters and protect humans from themselves and slow down the demise of their species. The Babysitters Guild has a branch in every major town. 

Haust Wrote:
OverclockBeta Wrote:
Haust Wrote:
A story where the strongest humans strive to become powerful babysitters and protect humans from themselves and slow down the demise of their species. The Babysitters Guild has a branch in every major town.
I see you have a plot for the novel thought through already.