Re: Is this normal for some web novels?

I think your upload schedule is too fast compared to your chapter length. Try uploading once a week instead, and see if that helps. 

From my experience, readers here like chapters that are regular in length. You have some that are under 2k and some that are almost 3k, so that also might be a factor.

Otherwise the issue could come from the content itself; I.e. not enough stuff happening (but I haven't read your stuff so I can't say).

Yes. It is normal. Older chapters get more views than newer ones because of viewer retention. Sometimes, people check out your story and then figure out later that your story is not for them. so your views gradually go down. 

Later this will not matter when you have hundreds of thousands if not millions of views. So please concentrate on your story and not the numbers. This early in the game, it means nothing.

That kind of stuff happens, my chapter views are all over the place, I'd say it can depend on chapter name, release and more. 
I have seen, when I first started, chapters with catchy names like 'RPG System vs Cultivator' (Had no inspiration for the name at the time) receive so many clicks, the views on this type of chapters kept being higher than all others. 
After a few months it has stabilized with the rest, but that just shows how much titles can induce readers.

I also see comments here saying that you are releasing too fast, I personally do 1700-2300 words every day (for my first volume) to 1 chapter every two days for the second one, and I don't see my views dying because of it. Of course a release schedule is a must !

I'm going to be honest on the drop of views as well, it is NORMAL, my views drop continuously (and so does everybody's), going from almost a thousand to barely 20-40 on my second volume's latest chapter. People read, enjoy and continue reading (if possible), but if they don't they'll just peace out and leave. 

I am not 100% sure, but I believe that 'views' increase each time someone (not the author) click on it, even if they don't read, so do take that into consideration as well.

In conclusion, don't sweat it, write what you like.
Look, I'm getting bad ratings on my first two chapters, and my rating is down in the mud (compared to RR standards) yet I still write, I just look at my views decreasing each chapter without care, stare at my rating going down with a little annoyance, but that's it. If I have to change my niche murderhobo novel that I like because of ratings and views, I might as well stop entirely. 

Based on my experience it comes to something like 15-20% of the first ch readership, the newer the chapter - less views and evens out as chaps keep going.
For example my first chappy has little less than 500 views and last three avg of maybe 65.

Update times do matter as do luck, so there is always some RNG roll type hidden mechanic when readers want to pick up something.
If you are doing writing as an hobby like me, the joy of seeing your story coming together will pull audience eventually at least to some degree.

edit: jeebus chrustus I just looked over your novel and saw multiple positive reviews. 

Earlier chapters will always have more readers than newer chapters, and the numbers will be drastically different. This is for a multitude of reasons, not all of which are negative. Some might read your first few chapters and find it's not their cup of tea. Others will simply want to wait for you to build up a backlog of chapters before they come back to read. Some people just forget. They enjoy what they have read, plan to read more, but just forget about the story and go about their lives.

Also, I don't think you're taking into account the holidays. More people had more time to read the days before Christmas. I saw a lot of new readers on the chapters I released around this time. While my numbers have been going up with each release, it's definitely more stagnant now. 

But sometimes... it's random. Are you releasing chapters at the best time? Do you have a chapter name that catches the eye? Are you releasing too many chapters? Too few? I ask myself these questions sometimes, not knowing the right answer. As an example, Chapter 11 in my novel is titled "Into the Wilderness" and it has 60 fewer vies than Chapter 12 "Liebhel". Why? Who knows. Maybe people didn't like the chapter or two prior to Into the Wilderness and I lost readers. Maybe people went "Liebhel, the heck is a Liebhel?" At the end of the day, who knows sometimes. 

batotit Wrote: Yes. It is normal. Older chapters get more views than newer ones because of viewer retention. Sometimes, people check out your story and then figure out later that your story is not for them. so your views gradually go down. 

Later this will not matter when you have hundreds of thousands if not millions of views. So please concentrate on your story and not the numbers. This early in the game, it means nothing.

Thank you for this insight - I find it helpful.

So, I'll just share some stats from mine since you did more. I tend to find concrete comparisons the most informative when trying to determine a norm, rather then people just stating their thoughts and opinions. 

https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fl7K4o7G.png

So right here, you can see my last six posts for my book. I didn't include the chapter before, since that occurred before I came back from a hiatus. You can certainly see the number dwindles down the closer to the last chapter you get. I have a few theories for why this is.

1. Binge readers.

You have followers which like to binge read a bunch of chapters at once, this can either be a conscious choice 'i'll catch up and read a ton later' or someone who hit follow, and hasn't read it for a while, and checks in on their books in intervals. 

2. Weekly fixes.

These are the people reading each new chapter you put out, and likely have a high investment in the story.

3. New readers.

Readers you attract with a new post or come across your book midpost will likely keep reading until the end where they transform into one of the other two categories, depending on their preference. 

4. Taking your time.

Books are pretty big, and it's actually quite a commitment to get through a bunch of chapters. Maybe someone has only an hour or so to read every few days a week, ad they are slowly making their way through your fiction. As your book gets bigger, the less likely people will be able to binge it to completion, and may switch pace with how they read through

Overall, I'd say the latest page views are more of a consequence metric than a measurable one you should be focused on. 

https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F15r2XYh.png

These of course, are the most important metrics. Average View count should be growing between your posts, I've found it to be higher most weeks than the week before, and that more than anything I believe indicates continuous growth. Obviously, followers are an indication too, but those don't really encompass any readers without an account, or just bookmark pages instead of clicking follow.

Hope this helps.