Armour.

TLDR: Tired as all heck, and the next few weeks are going to be even rougher.

So my question today is this: when thinking of what your character wears for armour, do you make it extremely practical, taking into account what they have and what they do, or do you go the more... aesthetic route?

Re: Armour.

Quote:So my question today is this: when thinking of what your character wears for armour, do you make it extremely practical, taking into account what they have and what they do, or do you go the more... aesthetic route?

Superhero costumes in the world of my story are usually more armored than the typical "spandex" type of suit seen in comics. There are some lore reasons as to why, but basically one of the reasons is that I personally wanted my world to have costumes that maximized defense and agility with style and aesthetics going after that. So I basically fall more on the practical side of things. Heck, even my character's superhero costume isn't as armored as my protagonist would've wanted, but he had make due because he lost a bit of the material he was using in the process. 

It depends on the genre as supers, scifi, and fantasy (low or high) all call for vastly different armor types, looks, and needs. As a rule of thumb I tend towards favoring the heavier suits with an eye towards practicality, with a hint of aesthetics (usually geared towards intimidation), but I'm also a fan of tech/high magic gear that looks like a uniform or casual wear that's so tricked out be able to stop anything short of anti-tank rounds. At the end of the day it all comes down to the setting, situation, and the character's personality/economic state, with of course the factor of needs.

I also tend to check up on occasion people like Shad and other armor/weapon enthusiast/experts to help temper my own imagination and preconceived notions handed down from pop culture.

Zearth Wrote: TLDR: Tired as all heck, and the next few weeks are going to be even rougher.

So my question today is this: when thinking of what your character wears for armour, do you make it extremely practical, taking into account what they have and what they do, or do you go the more... aesthetic route?

Practical and true to setting. Then again, I think this should also depend on the type of work you're writing. The Exile takes place in a low-magic world that is based on classical antiquity, so I tried to make everything point toward the setting and give a general idea as to what is readily available and common. That would be linothorax and richer folk would wear a muscle cuirass. That would be for people of the empire.

K'Avaari ("People of the Red Sand" as they are called by outlanders) would wear what's available, and that would be leather with perhaps bits of bone to act as a sort of rudimentary splint-mail. Their preference is to ruin the enemies' weapons first, though--witches usually recruit spirits to do things like spoil metal, leather, and food before a big battle. They're sneaky, and they don't do open battles. They're more into ambush and guerilla warfare. 

If you're writing something in a VR world or some such where availability of materials, cost, weight, etc. are not an issue and physics doesn't follow, then you can probably have them wear whatever you want. So a lot of it does depend on the setting, but remember everything contributes to worldbuilding, whether you intend it or not! 

Zearth Wrote: TLDR: Tired as all heck, and the next few weeks are going to be even rougher.

Depends on what kind of story it is. If it's a realistic one with magic having very little impact, then I'd go with a practical route. If it's not, and the size of the armour hardly matters and can be jacked up with spells and shit to make it invulnerable no matter its size, then I'd go with the aesthetic route...