Re: What’s your greatest non-writing related strength as a writer?

"The fact that I will voraciously consume just about any genre? "

Ditto.

And related, I happen to read very quickly. And luckily, in several languages. This is what makes it feasible, for me, to read widely and diversely on a whim. Take a chance on a whim. It all being low cost to me.

Because the greatest cost is not the price of anything but the time it takes to read it.

Over time, this provides a huge advantage.

And not because examples show what to do. What examples really show well is what NOT to do.

Knowing what does NOT work well, not repeating errors, is a huge advantage.

After all, that is why people rewrite - or want to rewrite - their own old stuff. Once they have more experience.

Brian Wrote:
KittraMcBriar Wrote: Uh huh. And I asked what your greatest one was.

The fact that I will voraciously consume just about any genre?

The point is that I don't think you can really exclude anything as not writing-related if you are a writer :)

I wasn’t saying that you could. I made that distinction only because I wanted answers that didn’t have to do with prose, grammar, plotting, etc — as in, things which are not specific to writing. 

My greatest non-writing strength?

My ability to tank the hits life throws at me and keep moving forward and help those around me to keep moving forward.

It's related to my ability to just keep coming after taking hits and my ability to remain calm during an emergency or tough time.

How does it relate to writing? Well, superficially it doesn't. Except... I can keep writing even when I don't want to, if that makes sense.

KittraMcBriar Wrote: How about you?
It's good you can take criticism well. As an artist, we have to just accept that what we have is not to some people's taste. Can be hard sometimes, lol. I think my greatest non writing skill would be that I have a critical mind for inconsistency. This allows me to not make mistakes that change the story or break continuity. It also allows me to fill in plot holes really easily. I don't rewrite, but I rarely have a need to cut words and redraft them, and I think it's for this reason.

Researching if I have to pick, I've been taught since high school and by my sociology high school teacher as well on how to make a more comprehensive, clean, factual, and overall every skill you need to create a good data for research.

And I used that skill to worldbuild and to... well research for my novel! as well as to understand why middle to late teens that can draw make OCs even though they will never put those characters they made to full use