What’s your greatest non-writing related strength as a writer?

Mine’s the ability to take criticism in stride. The other day I got my first critical comment in a while and my partner stopped short and asked me what I was grinning about. I didn’t even realize I was doing that. 

I love getting positive comments, but it feels just as good to smile and give someone rep for something critical. It’s how I know I’m a professional.

How about you? 

Re: What’s your greatest non-writing related strength as a writer?

Dreaming. I think every creative could benefit from keeping a dream journal. Not only does it give you inspiration (especially when you're at a level of lucid dreaming and can start actually checking your plot for weak spots with the power of unbridled subconsciousness, or let a half-written story loose to see where it goes on its own). But also because analyzing dreams, what makes a dream interesting, and how they and their symbolism work is pretty useful for people who make a living from writing down dreams on paper. 

Our brains makes up stories every night. It's basically free practice. 

Haust Wrote: Dreaming. I think every creative could benefit from keeping a dream journal. Not only does it give you inspiration (especially when you're at a level of lucid dreaming and can start actually checking your plot for weak spots with the power of unbridled subconsciousness, or let a half-written story loose to see where it goes on its own). But also because analyzing dreams, what makes a dream interesting, and how they and their symbolism work is pretty useful for people who make a living from writing down dreams on paper. 

Our brains makes up stories every night. It's basically free practice.

I’m actually obsessed with dreams and I agree with you completely. I think the ability to dream is one of the most underrated aspects of sentient existence. 

KittraMcBriar Wrote: Mine’s the ability to take criticism in stride. The other day I got my first critical comment in a while and my partner stopped short and asked me what I was grinning about. I didn’t even realize I was doing that. 

I love getting positive comments, but it feels just as good to smile and give someone rep for something critical. It’s how I know I’m a professional.

How about you?

Time management.. does that count?  DrakanFascinating  Seriously, I work long hours and I do a lot of cooking/ household chores between breaks (since I wfh) and I also have to give attention to my cats and take care of myself. I've been dashing around the house lmao and still have time to write and post daily updates for my stories  DrakanSweat 

Elysium Wrote:
KittraMcBriar Wrote: Mine’s the ability to take criticism in stride. The other day I got my first critical comment in a while and my partner stopped short and asked me what I was grinning about. I didn’t even realize I was doing that. 

How about you?

Time management.. does that count?  DrakanFascinating  Seriously, I work long hours and I do a lot of cooking/ household chores between breaks (since I wfh) and I also have to give attention to my cats and take care of myself. I've been dashing around the house lmao and still have time to write and post daily updates for my stories  DrakanSweat

That absolutely counts (and is a skill I desperately need to cultivate myself)

Communication skills.

I went and did a lot of learning regarding communication outside of the scope of my degree in chem engineering. It helps make meaningful connections that advance your learning and produces good relationships with other writers. You get to talk about things you like with people who like the same things :)

Also that and psychology/sociology have really helped when writing characters in a realistic way.

I honestly think expanding into nonfiction more regarding warfare and combat, and perhaps history will be eventually helpful when writing more traditional style fantasy, which is a goal in the long run for me.

I think mine would be the ability to make interesting conversation with people, especially co-workers and such. It helps to broaden my horizons, get a picture of how other people are. This gives me exposure to the life experiences of people other than myself and thus does wonders to inform my character writing.

Several of my characters are inspired by people I have spoken to IRL, usually co-workers. It has also allowed me to use life fields for the character backgrounds I have no connection with myself, such as the military, in ways that are still convincing enough to have a good impact in the story.

The ability to sound like an expert on most technical topics after a few hours of research.

I won't be able to fool an actual expert, but if I need to write about a topic, as long as it's not too broad, I can do some research and come off sounding authoritative enough that people will think I know what I'm talking about. International shipping? Sure. Elevators? Done that. History of Byzantium? Let me pull up a wiki real quick...

It's not an amazing strength, but it is useful at times. It would probably be more useful if I wrote more sci-fi, instead of fantasy. :P

Asviloka Wrote: Reading.
I know some people who read slowly, or who don't even like to read at all. I can't imagine trying to write without having so many thousands of other stories in my head. It's so easy to accidentally retread the same ground as everyone else if you don't know what's been already done in order to consciously steer away from it.
Lol sadly this counts as a special strength.

I love reading. It's my favorite type of media. My strength is taking issue in almost every story that makes me dislike it / wish it were something that it's not. Thus, I have constant motivation to write the perfect story *for me* in which I will adore every single aspect of it.
(Sadly, I don't have as big of an ego as I just made myself sound. My own stories aren't immune, in fact, I hate it even more that I could make such dreck.... I see glaring problems and can't read my own stuff for fun without feeling the need for a total rewrite from scratch. Which I'm slowly working on!)

Ironically enough I'd say the fact that I don't need to study for long hours. I was genuinely surprised at the fact that I spend more time thinking of stories or writing than studying, yet I also remember the various equations, definitions and whatnot. I've somehow managed to find a balance between studying and writing that I hope will be enough to carry me through the entirety of college.