Is it better to have less pages in a chapter or more

Had a chat with a friend about long books and why he doesn't like them if that go on for too long. Of course I told him he was crazy, he didn't think so and continued to discriminate against some of the longer ones i liked such as The First Defier or HWFWM and i did the same with some of the books I knew he liked such as Peirs Anthony. Im not saying i hate them but for the sake of the argument we had i just wanted to see what everyone else thought. 

Re: Is it better to have less pages in a chapter or more

In my opinion it depends on the audience and on how (and how much) you write. Personally I never like chopping up one scene or event into too many chapters, especially if there's no good spot to split it up. I try to keep my chapters around 3k words, but if I write something that has a good endpoint at 4 or 5k I'm not going to cut it off early. As for the audience, I recently put up a poll to see if people would rather have more frequent shorter releases or less frequent longer ones, and the latter won. Your audience may be different though.

There's also the fact that making your chapters shorter allows you to post more of them, which means more time on latest updates and potentially more exposure. The flipside is that chopping your fiction up into too small of pieces may compromise the reading experience.

Find a good length for the story being told. Royal road rewards stupidly short chapers released often with more views. Personaly I hate this to no end, and tend to leave reviews or ratings with a penalty applied based on how bad the natural chapter lengths have been chopped up. However If you release 4 short chapters at the same time it is effectivly the same as 1 long chapter. Most chapters are probably a good length between 2K and 6K words. 

there are a few exceptions, If you use a new side characters viewpoint just to introduce an event or show peoples reactions to some world effecting change of the main characters then It can be ok to have a 1 page chapter or even shorter. But don't expect a happy reader base if you gate your releases by chapter and count that as a chapter. (better to release 2 if 1 is super short)

This all goes back to how much the author wants to tell, and whether or not the audience can deal with the overall length. 

So far on this site I've seen many books with 1.5k-3k/more per chapter. If you ask me, as long as there's someone reading and there's enough in that chapter to engage them (actions and scenes that move the plot, not unrelated filler), then page length doesn't necessarily matter. 

You can't please everyone in terms of page length, after all. 

Speaking as someone who has written extremely long chapters (15K words), I believe that long chapters are inherently inferior to short chapters. A chapter is supposed to be a passage of text that one reasonable person can read in one sitting. If you make your chapter so long that one reasonable person cannot read it in one sitting then it has failed as a chapter. Few people will bother to finish it and will just check out of the book entirely; thus causing the book to fail.

It probably depends on the genre and the pacing you want to achieve. Suspense and mystery work well with short chapters and lost of cliffhangers and twists and reveals to keep you turning. Fantasy and space operas need room to breathe and immerse you, so longer chapters would work. To me, it's more about what feels right, how to break up the story to keep the blot moving forward without becoming monofocused, and whether reading the chapter feels like a slog and you're starting to get impatient about what's going on with the other plot threads.

For me it depends on what's going on. Politics or drama within a novel I really appreciate when the author takes their time to flesh out all the nuances. Action scenes I prefer "shorter" to keep in line with how a fast paced fight should feel. Descriptions of cool developments/moves shouldn't take more than a sentence to a paragraph because it slows down any of the excitement that builds up. Mixing it up is never a bad thing.

I am having a problem with my novels. While RR is mainly periodical series release.
I force myself to write move than 1k for a chapter. 
Since I have a plan to make a book once the story went through 3rd revision, the book itself might have different chapter arrangement according to the story flow and it will serve better in whole than in series periodicals. 
I guess it's hard to plan the story to fit a single purpose. 
I've read some stories, especially slice of life, the chapter division followed a strict rule that each chapter can stand on its own. 
Which i think it's great, consider the fact that some SOL can be up to thousands of chapters and it will be difficult for late readers to jump in.
But if a story is completed, with an ending, then it will be a different thing.

As a reader, if it isn't detailed, I'm fine with three million plus words a chapter, and if it is detailed, 200k words in a chapter, but as an author, I'm fine with 500 words in a chapter, but around 5-10k is good with both. I like HWFWM, but that and the sequel to Percy Jackson, Heroes of Olympus, are the only ones I like under that, not including my book and books writen by friends/family, to which I'm biased.

I consider a good chapter to be at least 2.5k words. I'm also fine with stuff that's a little less than that, but anything under 1k is a bit of a problem for me. At that point, they're not chapters, but scenes that should be told in one sitting. Just make the novel into a collection of short stories if that's the structure of it. 

Short and long chapters are like genres to me. I don't mind a story that has consistently short chapters or one that regularly has long ones, but to switch between the two is extremely jarring for me.