Re: I want to make a romance story.

Well, BL I'd guess comes with social implications depending on the society the characters grew up in. So you would have to consider how the environment shapes their relationship, whether they keep their feelings hidden(and maybe even run from it) not only from society but each other, in fear of how others might react or be open and embrace it because they live in a chill community. Other than that, they might have prior relationships before falling in love... there are many ways to explore it. Many paths...

As for the romance part, I don't think feelings go any different depending on the gender of the one you fall in love with. The sexual aspect might vary cause you'd be attracted to different body parts, but for that, if you think of both characters viewing each other as a woman views a man, that might work...

These are just my opinions. I'm certainly no expert in the subject, so my approach to the theme might vary from experienced people...

Other Wrote: I've been writing nothing but action and violence for basically my whole writing span. I want to make something different. I think I'm pretty bad at writing women so I'll make it a BL. Suggestions for setting, characters, anything would be helpful!
Like purely romance?

I don't have any of those, though I do have some that draw heavily on romance. The Wind Steppe Princess and the Amalfi Magician. It's great practice to focus on romance, because, for me, a good romance arc makes just about any story better. Friendship arcs are great too, and they function in much the same way, save without the romancy bits. Believe it or not, romance is an expected sub-genre within sword-and-sorcery.

I had a similar situation to yours and slid into romance from writing mostly violent epic fantasy with little to no attraction between characters. I think I'd tell you, first of all, to take some time and read some romances, whether it be a RR book or a published one, it'll help you a lot more than you think it will and will get your creative juices flowing. Easing into the genre will probably help you out a lot too, instead of having to learn the romance tropes and conventions and going straight into the deep end, it might be better or even easier to start by incorporating a romance element into a story you're already writing first. 

You'll find it's easier than you think it is, you just need two characters to click and the rest is history xD  Good luck on your adventure and remebe

Wait, so romance is different from action and violence? Clearly I've been doing it wrong all along.

Anyway, I don't write or read that much romance lit. However, you might benefit from writing a romance that plays to your strengths as a writer and what you're familiar with, as a start. Maybe you can figure out the genre more easily in that way. Perhaps something more like a whirlwind romance or a dynamic love-hate relationship would be in keeping with that. It could also be useful to draft a few romance passages, short stories, or chapters to get used to it, rather than publishing it immediately.

I'm a reader of yaoi more than bl, since I prefer the characters to be at least 18 and have some understanding of their own sexuality.  But there are a lot of good gay romance plots that haven't been done much yet in historical or fantasy settings.  You could have a new guy to some group of fighters who needs to be assigned a partner, and then there's this older fighter who seems quiet but civil, yet no one has wanted to be his partner and people start giving the newbie these vague warnings not to be too nice to that guy...  Or you could have a powerful intimidating person (anything from a gothic-looking mage to a muscley mercenary) and the good guy's team has a problem thus guy could help with, but what could they offer him as compensation... (hint it's the main character).  Or just a buddies adventure where the buddies end up as lovers.