Are there other good sites out there to post your work and increase visibility/followers?

I love Royal Road and don't see myself liking another community out there any better... but if your goal is to gain followers, cast a wide net, and ideally start a writing career if you build up enough followers (either through Patreon or ebook sales), are there any other sites worth a writer's time like Royal Road is, or even close?

I don't want any sites that will demand exclusivity or anything like that, because I'm not leaving RR. I just didn't know if other writers could give recommendations for diversifying my sites.

Re: Are there other good sites out there to post your work and increase visibility/followers?

As far as I know, nothing else comes close. There are other places you can try, scribblehub is pretty big for instance, but it has a different set of preferences. Wattpad is useless. Webnovel is questionable. Tapas is small. AO3 is mostly fanfic. Fictionpress is mostly dead.

I'm sure there are others, but as far as I've found RR is the only one worth the time.

Re: Are there other good sites out there to post your work and increase visibility/followers?

To add to Scribblehub there's also Spacebattles. Several fictions like Beware of Chicken started out there. But for the most part RR is one of a kind. There is Quotev but it sort of falls under the category of sorta just there tier. It has this awkward forum thing that isn't really useful at all. There is r/redditserials if you can stomach posting on there too. r/HFY too, but I'm not posting on either myself if only because I'd lose my mind posting over 90 chapters on reddit.

Raz Wrote: but if your goal is to gain followers, cast a wide net, and ideally start a writing career if you build up enough followers

If your goal is to gain an audience, you have to hit rising stars on royal road JUST right. That's your step zero and there's a fun process to it.
If you hit it correctly you can get 3-5k audience and then you're set from there as long as you upload a new chapter every 1-3 days.

At the moment, yes, but their mileage varies.

Wattpad- it's terrible. I wish people would stop suggesting it as a place for writers to go to. 

Inkitt- it's kind of like Wattpad with the romance except a heck of a lot more supernatural romance.

Neovel- it doesn't have enough activity there to warrant posting a story there. I'm about ready to pull mine from there. 

FictionPress- I don't know how it's still alive. It has a dedicated user base that hasn't given up on it I suppose. 

Tapas- small but maybe worth it if you don't mind designing posts within their character limit. I think the character limit on each post probably turns off more writers than attracts them.

Moonquil- I have questions and have yet to find any writer's thoughts on the place other than small.

Webnovel- too shady for me even to post a free novel.

Scribblehub- Royalroad but with NSFW stories.

I'm not sure about the many reading apps out there. Personally, I would just avoid them. All of them. Many of them are terrible for writers and readers.

I'd suggest Scribble Hub. Copying and pasting there takes only a few seconds. And surprisingly, a lot of aspects of SH are better than RR (better exposure for non-dominant genres, better forums, better stats (you can actually see how far readers have gotten in your story) along with other things. The audience is significantly smaller but it's still possible to break 1k over there. It really couldn't hurt to post there as well as here.

And just ignore the rep it has. It has NSFW content and that does make up a decent chunk of it, but there are plenty of stories that are more traditional that do just fine. Just don't expect too many comments. 

- Wattpad is useless (I think it still favors romance genre above all.) If you're writing fantasy without any romance, good luck. (Just look up Hymns of the First Wind and you'll see how bad the # of views are for non-romance).

- Scribblehub is fine but you really need to get your story out there, join the forums OFTEN. Post numerous times a day or else you're just going to be buried under the piles of so-so NSFW weird type of stories.

- Webnovel is kinda sus in terms of # of views but I managed to find my first audience there that are kind and interactive at the very least.

- Tapas, I kinda give up there and I feel like it's hard to get visibility in the site since there are a bunch of very good comics.

- Neovel, I just started posting there a week ago. Few audience but also few active stories, I think it's worth it to stick around.

I still think RR is the best of em. But it still depends on the genre you're writing.  PeoReading

Aster Wrote: As far as I know, nothing else comes close. There are other places you can try, scribblehub is pretty big for instance, but it has a different set of preferences. Wattpad is useless. Webnovel is questionable. Tapas is small. AO3 is mostly fanfic. Fictionpress is mostly dead.

I'm sure there are others, but as far as I've found RR is the only one worth the time.
Hey! Thanks for the post, it's very informative. Do you know why Wattpad is uselss and Webnovel is questionable though? Thanks, any info would be useful!

prodigyab Wrote:
Aster Wrote: As far as I know, nothing else comes close. There are other places you can try, scribblehub is pretty big for instance, but it has a different set of preferences. Wattpad is useless. Webnovel is questionable. Tapas is small. AO3 is mostly fanfic. Fictionpress is mostly dead.

Hey! Thanks for the post, it's very informative. Do you know why Wattpad is uselss and Webnovel is questionable though? Thanks, any info would be useful!

A lot of people have difficulty getting any views on Wattpad. It’s very saturated, the readers have specific tastes, and its interface doesn’t promote newly posted works in the same way RR and Scribblehub’s do, which is to say—at all. I write fantasy and sci-fi with romantic elements, and I’ve managed to get an ok number of views and surprisingly good amount of reader interaction there myself, though. 

Webnovel is just all kinds of problematic. The formatting options are practically nonexistent, as far as I’ve heard, and the genres you can categorize your book by are restricted according to what gender your MC is. They also offer extremely predatory contracts that give them total ownership over your IP and pay wages that people in countries with a median or higher cost of living will find untenable, especially with their daily word count requirements being as high as they are.

prodigyab Wrote: Hey! Thanks for the post, it's very informative. Do you know why Wattpad is uselss and Webnovel is questionable though? Thanks, any info would be useful!

Wattpad is useless for a few factors:

1. There is no visibility for new novels. Wattpad put more emphasis on popular stories.Trying to search for novels is difficult. In fact, their search function the last time I checked, was one of the worst. And since they closed the forums, there isn't an easy way to attract readers. I'm not sure what strategy they even use now.

2. The demographic is limited consisting of mostly romance, YA romance, and fan-fics readers. Other genres struggle on there if you don't hit that demographic that likes those things you struggle. 

3. Wattpad is too huge for it's own good and is starting to decline. I think at this point it's probably dedicated members truly keeping it alive in hopes that maybe the company that acquired Wattpad will make changes for the good. Though I'm not sure what they can do with a platform that's bloated and past its golden age and prime.

As for Webnovel.

Granted I heard that if you just post your novel there, everything is perfectly fine. I wouldn't because Webnovel made a name for itself by socialite writers in an attempt to get them to sign contracts with them that had very unfriendly terms for writers. 

This contract has changed a lot due to... I don't know if it was people spreading the nature of the contracts online or they wanted to appeal to more western writers. I don't know about their contracts now. Writers sign an NDA so I will probably never get to see than language of their new contracts. However in the past they have:

Asked for exclusivity, having writers sign a contract that kept on their work in the platform for 5 year, claiming copyright of you work if you signed on, claiming the ownership of your characters, and contracts stating you have to writer 30,000 words a month or no pay.

They also have a strange platform things like dividing genre by gender.

There are other things, I just don't want to search for them but, they've made themselves very untrustworthy.