Re: Names.

AdmiralStarNight Wrote: The Admiral- Her true name and what she wants to be called. Its the rank she reached before defecting and stealing a warship. Her 'actual' name is Loretta Desson and I just needed a name that didn't sound quite like it fit her. a bit old fashioned sounding considering the scifi setting and a name she threw off for just The Admiral.

Francis Fitzkeller- needed a name that was both simple yet had a good beat to it. It also is a touch of a reference to a fav character of mine that also had a last name that started with Fitz.

Antag: Ares Centios- OOC named after the god of war and a last name that isn't exactly out there but isn't something I've even seen IRL to given it the scifi vibe.

Fitz-chivalry Farseer?

Wait, I guess not since that's the first name.

Wyatt_Wriots Wrote:
AdmiralStarNight Wrote: The Admiral- Her true name and what she wants to be called. Its the rank she reached before defecting and stealing a warship. Her 'actual' name is Loretta Desson and I just needed a name that didn't sound quite like it fit her. a bit old fashioned sounding considering the scifi setting and a name she threw off for just The Admiral.

Francis Fitzkeller- needed a name that was both simple yet had a good beat to it. It also is a touch of a reference to a fav character of mine that also had a last name that started with Fitz.

Antag: Ares Centios- OOC named after the god of war and a last name that isn't exactly out there but isn't something I've even seen IRL to given it the scifi vibe.

Fitz-chivalry Farseer?

Wait, I guess not since that's the first name.

XD no, it’s Ansten FitzGerald from the Honor Harrington series. Secondary character but one I loved

Okay - so - I'm not good with names.
In a book called Chronic Reincarnator, I named my MC 'Sad' - because he was born into so many worlds that his names lost any meaning to him - at some point, he was given a name along the lines of 'sad-looking' or 'mr. depression' as a joke and just decided to stick with it when asked in the lastest world - granted, nobody understood what the name means since it's a different language in every world.

I have naming conventions for all of my characters, based on what nation they're from.
Katarina is from the world's equivalent of Transylvania. No special meaning except that her sister is named Erzabet, as in Erzabet Bathory. It's pronounced Kat-a-rina, not Katrina. She'll probably shoot you if you mispronounce it.

Daveth was and is a generic no-name guy from a no-name village. He's got a surname on his character sheet, but that's a spoiler.

Glory the Morningtide is the "public name" of a character that comes from a country that has public names, family surnames, and a private name.

Oh lord, you've given me the opportunity to ramble about names for too long. Whelp, here goes.
In Deified, the story revolves around a buncha humans from Earth who get isekai'd into a new universe which they are to be the creator gods of. Because of this, each of them chooses their own god names and thus, each of the names reveals a decent bit about the characters (hopefully)

For example, Damon is a hateable twit, who believes himself a master schemer and manipulator (but isn't) and so he choose his name to sound evil, but in such a way that he thinks no one would notice, despite the fact that after watching the guy calling himself Damon annoying the other gods for ages, you would probably put two and two together. Also, I think I had Matt Damon on the mind when brainstorming names. Idk.

Naturum chose her name because she thought a Latin sounding name would sound godlike and she's the nature goddess. Her name wasn't meant to be actual Latin, but upon google translating I found it was, but whatever, it sounds like the kinda thing someone who doesn't know Latin would come up with, so it works

Scientia however does know Latin and after watching Naturum name herself, he chose a more sophisticated Latin name, as befitting a god of knowledge and colossal nerd.

The best name, Rizzleritchensteineonizziism the First Ever, is the greatest name I've ever come up with. Manic, energetic and eccentric, just like the name's creator, I believe I was inspired by The Wandering Inn's Klbkchhezeim, whose name is similar to the Rizzleritchenstein part of the name. I was also inspired by Magic: The Gathering's Niv Mizzet, his Izzet League and the metal he invented, Mizzium, cos those words are just fun to say, and Rizzleritchensteineonizziism would be a perfect fit as an Izzet. This name is my precious baby and I do not care about how much the sheer length of his name can affect pacing.

The god of geography's name is Loma, chosen because both him and I think it sounds solid and dependable. And kinda slow, like the incredible lengths of time it takes for geographical features to form and move. I think I might have had Hollow Knight's Dung Defender battle cry stuck in my head, but I didn't go with Doma because A. That would literally just be the dung defenders battle cry and B. because I didn't want two gods to have the same starting initial and Damon's name was already chosen.

Finally, Aomy's name is a reference to my Pathfinder (pretentious DnD) campaign, in which Ao is a prominent god. The Ao in that universe was in turn stolen from The Forgotten Realms DnD setting, where the overgod is called Ao. This wasn't so much a deliberate reference as opposed to I was sounding out name options, thought of Ao and thought it sounded cool, mashed it with the name Amy and got a name that sounds cool and godlike, yet kinda cute and awkward.