Re: Do writers sabotage each other here?

Brian Wrote:
The Wrote: This is the internet, people will say anything and expect people to agree...

ooh, yeah, I just got one where the reviewer clearly LIED. said he had read the book to chapter 17, then complained about a bit in chapter 3 'never getting resolved' when it was very clearly and obviously resolved by chapter 5.

Yeah, I get that I exposit too much, but if someone misses MASSIVE plot resolutions in bolded letters that's them being idiots, not me. He clearly just clicked through the chapters to pretend he had read it.

Man, I hate that. I would rather get a .5 than a 2.5 from a liar.
Also you can report that.

Brian Wrote: ooh, yeah, I just got one where the reviewer clearly LIED. said he had read the book to chapter 17, then complained about a bit in chapter 3 'never getting resolved' when it was very clearly and obviously resolved by chapter 5.

That's a whole other can of worms. Reviewers that lie in order to justify lower scores. I had someone try the same with me, only they decided to use a 0.5 score to go along with the blatant lies. So yeah...I reported it. Then it happened again like a few days later, so I reported it again. Genuine constructive criticism is welcome, blatant lies to justify a low score are not. It's one of the reasons why I REALLY don't trust ratings. If people are ballsy enough to break the rules and stamp their name on it, then how many more are cowering in anonymity?

And Jeez, that whole thing with He Who Shall Not Be Named really didn't help either.

Blind_Watcher Wrote:
Brian Wrote: ooh, yeah, I just got one where the reviewer clearly LIED. said he had read the book to chapter 17, then complained about a bit in chapter 3 'never getting resolved' when it was very clearly and obviously resolved by chapter 5.

That's a whole other can of worms. Reviewers that lie in order to justify lower scores. I had someone try the same with me, only they decided to use a 0.5 score to go along with the blatant lies. So yeah...I reported it. Then it happened again like a few days later, so I reported it again. Genuine constructive criticism is welcome, blatant lies to justify a low score are not. It's one of the reasons why I REALLY don't trust ratings. If people are ballsy enough to break the rules and stamp their name on it, then how many more are cowering in anonymity?

And Jeez, that whole thing with He Who Shall Not Be Named really didn't help either.

Wow, that's interesting. I don't think I've ever had a reviewer blatantly lie, but I have definitely had reviewers perhaps not understand what they were reading (or they skimmed quickly and misunderstood what was written). Sometimes I update the author's notes to explain some topics that may be a bit too esoteric for immediate understanding, and I think sometimes people who are weaker in the mechanics of writing can leave reviews or comments that are not accurate or correct (but they're well-meaning, so I appreciate they took the time all the same!) 

On the other hand, my work isn't very popular so perhaps I will experience the pain of lying reviewers at some point in the future! Who knows!

If I've lost my emotional investment in a story, I can start forgetting parts of it.

The less committed I am, the worse it can get. Even critical plot points could glaze over in my mind.

I'm sure it's possible that someone might lie about your story. But you should consider the possibility that you've lost a part of your audience so completely that they can't be bothered to remember parts of the narrative. Or, a less dramatic possibility is that you've got a plot point which you consider to be clear and important, but (for whatever reason) is easy for a casual reader to miss.

EDIT: I receive 2.5s all the time. I feel like it's weird to assume they're some kind of personal attack instead of admitting there may be weaknesses in your fiction.