Re: Do writers sabotage each other here?

I see your point, however, wouldn't you say that a story with a three star rating overall for one, is generally going to be less impressive or higher quality then one with a higher one? Of course, I don't mean to say that it's the end all solution to determine the book's quality, but it does help. And I know I just extrapolated your point (my apologies), so while I'm not referring to the individual 0.5 score, I am referring to the overall. Thank you for your patience.

SonictheEvil Wrote:
Armorien Wrote: it does help other readers know if it's good or not

Frankly: no it doesn't. All a star rating with no review tells me, as a reader, is that the story either offended somebody's sensibilities enough for them to give it a low score, or tickled their fancy enough to garner a high score. I've seen enough "main character eats chocolate. Nestle employs slave labor. Author supports slave labor" reviews in my time to know that a silent vote is one not worth considering.

Armorien Wrote: I see your point, however, wouldn't you say that a story with a three star rating overall for one, is generally going to be less impressive or higher quality then one with a higher one?

That just tells me that the author understands and has been successful at marketing at a specific audience, not necessarily that the story is good. Like I said, people will vote five stars if a story tickles their fancy, just as they will vote 0.5 stars if it offends their sensibilities. You get just as many people voting high because they're way into something about the story, something sexual often, as you do voting down just because they have a tortured sense of morality.

I don't really believe in objective quality once you get past the point of basic literary competence. After that it's all a matter of taste, and user reviews that don't expound upon their specific and subjective interests are useless entirely.

SonictheEvil Wrote:
Armorien Wrote: I see your point, however, wouldn't you say that a story with a three star rating overall for one, is generally going to be less impressive or higher quality then one with a higher one?

That just tells me that the author understands and has been successful at marketing at a specific audience, not necessarily that the story is good. Like I said, people will vote five stars if a story tickles their fancy, just as they will vote 0.5 stars if it offends their sensibilities. You get just as many people voting high because they're way into something about the story, something sexual often, as you do voting down just because they have a tortured sense of morality.

I don't really believe in objective quality once you get past the point of basic literary competence. After that it's all a matter of taste, and user reviews that don't expound upon their specific and subjective interests are useless entirely.
Eh, fair enough. You do make a good point. I suppose, this does bring in the question on whether people should treat star ratings differently and be more harsh before giving 0.5 and 5 stars alike.

SonictheEvil Wrote: It might be interesting to have two star ratings: one that indicates the ratings given by people who haven't left reviews, and one that indicates the ratings given by those who have. I wonder what kind of differences you would find between the demographics, as well as which rating readers would find more useful.
Ooh! That's pretty interesting and quite a good idea. I would say that reviews tend to be more positive (from what I see) so it might just lead to a situation where there's a bar of lower stars and a bar of higher. Unless, the story is like a harem or a genre that gets a lot of hate, then ratings would probably be more positive from what I've seen. But good idea!

SonictheEvil Wrote:
Armorien Wrote: Unless, the story is like a harem or a genre that gets a lot of hate, then ratings would probably be more positive from what I've seen. But good idea!
Even this would provide interesting demographic data, wouldn't it?

Ah, I'm just a data nerd I guess. I love spreadsheets and comparing columns and making little pie charts...
True, true, it would! I'm just too lazy to do it myself DrakanSigh

Sake Wrote: if they wanted to sabotage you they'd give you 0.5. 

Objectively speaking, 2.5 is 5/10 and it's "average". Also, requiring people to provide feedbacks for every little rating they leave is understandable, though unrealistic.

Reviews and comments are the tip of the reader iceberg, and if someone thought your book is average, then it probably would take a lot of nitpicking and effort to vocalize exactly what s wrong with it. It's much easier to justify 5s and 0.5s than that dreadfully ambiguous middle ground.

Personally, I always try to help out fellow writers. I comment often, provide feedbacks when I know it can help, and make sure to make my reviews fair yet not discouraging. That's because I have nothing to gain at making someone else's day worse, and if I can help improve a story I read(therefore liked) then it will make it a better reading experience for me, too.

However, if I didn't like the book enough, even I might leave a rating without elaborating. I am, after all, a reader, and I read fiction for entertainment. It's not my job and I'm not paid for it.

.... (that being said, there are toxic and petty people on this site. stay away from celebration threads if you're not going to be positive, chances are you can accidentally offend someone without meaning to and they will go get revenge. which is also a reason why people chose not to say anything when they leave less than stellar ratings, they are afraid of the author taking offense and attacking them for it. happens more often than you think)

You actually commented on one of my early chapters and it was super helpful. I hadn't realized when reading it on a phone having shorter chapters and watching the formatting was really important. So, cheers to you my friend!
DrakanWine

After having several people here on RR being super helpful (see above) I too have tried my best to leave comments and reviews to help others out. We all want to get better and be better and getting those suggestions are how that happens. The problem comes when there's something wrong but I'm not smart enough to use my words to explain it, or I don't have the time to get super detailed. A middle review can still help convey some of that information. I have also noticed that RR has an international readership and there may be readers who are able to read English well, but have a harder time writing a review in English. The star rating system can be helpful for them to give feedback in a more constructive manner.

Your best bet is to just keep working and fixing things as you can. 

Brian Wrote: So, I got a couple of ratings for my book so far, and I had some 5s and a 4 which I expected, but then, without any comment, I got a couple of 2.5's

I mean, if you have a problem with a book you leave a reason why, right?

Do writers mark other books with a similar genre down in order to raise their own ratings? Or am I just being paranoid and it was someone mad about something I don't understand?
Or do readers just down mark books because they hate or are offended by the cover or something and don't bother even reading it or leaving a review?
Been hit with much the same, and thought the same thing - then realized that there’s simply a bunch of people out there dealing with “New Year Blues”.

My average rating across multiple chapters dropped below 4.75 for the first time in months.

Don’t stress the ratings, they are important only in the sense that it drives exposure to Best Rated and Ongoing Fiction lists.

Focus more on the feedback from reviews and comments. Those are far more valuable to your story than some random and unreasoned opinion in the form of a stars rating.

I thank every reviewer with a PM regardless of their rating, as they have taken the time to support their score with a reasoned argument - even if I disagree.

Ratings are subjective, and therefore useless except as a mechanism to RR’s algo. Unless they are backed with an objective statement regarding why, they’re mere noise.

Ignore them.

I mean, if you want to find the culprits, just make a thread asking for RR to put someone's name next to their rating as standard and then look at the most 'vocal' and agitated participants demanding it never be allowed to happen. Bit of a strawman argument, I know, but if you are using a nickname in the first place, what is the actual loss if you haven't been doing dodgy things in the first place? A whole can of worms right there, conflating the privacy of a fake identity and its actions with your real identity and justifiable privacy concerns.

On the whole, no, authors are not tearing one another down. Generally, the majority of the negativity comes from a very small section of the reader base.

As someone else pointed out, 2.5 is stock average-ish, it just comes across as low because of how much of a sh*tSh*w ratings are. Rather than following a universal rating guide, everyone does their own thing. Fanboys drop fives regardless of quality, trolls drop 0.5s just to get a rise out of people or 'correct the balance'. you have snobs who think that anything not sold in a physical bookstore and featured on the newyork times bestseller list isn't allowed above a 4. Perfectionists who demand absolute perfection in every category and every chapter and will rate according to how far off that standard you are. Ratings are just a mess.

Blind_Watcher Wrote: I mean, if you want to find the culprits, just make a thread asking for RR to put someone's name next to their rating as standard and then look at the most 'vocal' and agitated participants demanding it never be allowed to happen. Bit of a strawman argument, I know, but if you are using a nickname in the first place, what is the actual loss if you haven't been doing dodgy things in the first place? A whole can of worms right there, conflating the privacy of a fake identity and its actions with your real identity and justifiable privacy concerns.

On the whole, no, authors are not tearing one another down. Generally, the majority of the negativity comes from a very small section of the reader base.

As someone else pointed out, 2.5 is stock average-ish, it just comes across as low because of how much of a sh*tSh*w ratings are. Rather than following a universal rating guide, everyone does their own thing. Fanboys drop fives regardless of quality, trolls drop 0.5s just to get a rise out of people or 'correct the balance'. you have snobs who think that anything not sold in a physical bookstore and featured on the newyork times bestseller list isn't allowed above a 4. Perfectionists who demand absolute perfection in every category and every chapter and will rate according to how far off that standard you are. Ratings are just a mess.
Yep. Basically the system is trying to Objectively rate and justify a subjective subject. 

Its why always just think- Avg. Rating? Thats for the computers and algorithms. Let me try to make sure that my revs are better. 

Brian Wrote: To be fair, I am now discovering that people give reviews that are absolutely as useless as anonymous ratings.
"He expounds too much during his story! I didn't bother reading past the foreshadowing to see what the foreshadowing was about!"
yeah, really helpful.
Wait for the ones that go- I don't like MC! Thats it. 1 star, I don't like MC!  DrakanLaugh

Or ones that say that reading the book is bad for your mental health (Casual Heroing)  DrakanLaugh

This is the internet, people will say anything and expect people to agree...

The Wrote: This is the internet, people will say anything and expect people to agree...

ooh, yeah, I just got one where the reviewer clearly LIED. said he had read the book to chapter 17, then complained about a bit in chapter 3 'never getting resolved' when it was very clearly and obviously resolved by chapter 5.

Yeah, I get that I exposit too much, but if someone misses MASSIVE plot resolutions in bolded letters that's them being idiots, not me. He clearly just clicked through the chapters to pretend he had read it.

Man, I hate that. I would rather get a .5 than a 2.5 from a liar.

Brian Wrote:
The Wrote: This is the internet, people will say anything and expect people to agree...

ooh, yeah, I just got one where the reviewer clearly LIED. said he had read the book to chapter 17, then complained about a bit in chapter 3 'never getting resolved' when it was very clearly and obviously resolved by chapter 5.

Yeah, I get that I exposit too much, but if someone misses MASSIVE plot resolutions in bolded letters that's them being idiots, not me. He clearly just clicked through the chapters to pretend he had read it.

DrakanLaugh If there was a review search feature then I would suggesst that you search sexual harrasment. Instead just see Casual Heroing's revs. People like MCs that murder stuff left and right but hate flirting. kek

Brian Wrote:

Also you can report that.