Do writers sabotage each other here?

So, I got a couple of ratings for my book so far, and I had some 5s and a 4 which I expected, but then, without any comment, I got a couple of 2.5's

I mean, if you have a problem with a book you leave a reason why, right?

Do writers mark other books with a similar genre down in order to raise their own ratings? Or am I just being paranoid and it was someone mad about something I don't understand?
Or do readers just down mark books because they hate or are offended by the cover or something and don't bother even reading it or leaving a review?

Re: Do writers sabotage each other here?

Brian Wrote: So, I got a couple of ratings for my book so far, and I had some 5s and a 4 which I expected, but then, without any comment, I got a couple of 2.5's

Do writers mark other books with a similar genre down in order to raise their own ratings? Or am I just being paranoid and it was someone mad about something I don't understand?
Sabotage, a tale from times of yore…!  Drakanroar

Though, usually that is done with 0.5, not really with 2.5. 2.5, you can likely assume the work is not for them. This is why I leave a warning at the first part of my book. Those who have gone onward has been warned. I should also mention, even if a warning is left, it is likely to be ignored. So…pretty much, heads they win, tails you lose. 😐

Though, the warning does help a bit I suppose.

Edge Wrote:
Brian Wrote: So, I got a couple of ratings for my book so far, and I had some 5s and a 4 which I expected, but then, without any comment, I got a couple of 2.5's

Sabotage, a tale from times of yore…!  Drakanroar

Though, usually that is done with 0.5, not really with 2.5. 2.5, you can likely assume the work is not for them. This is why I leave a warning at the first part of my book. Those who have gone onward has been warned. I should also mention, even if a warning is left, it is likely to be ignored. So…pretty much, heads they win, tails you lose. 😐

Though, the warning does help a bit I suppose.

See, that is what weirded me out a bit. I expect .5 ratings from offended people. but 2.5 without explanations is just...weird.

peopanic  I certainly hope not! But, you know what they say: the fuller the bushel the more chance of bad apples.

I prefer to believe that it's due to differing tastes rather than deliberate sabotage. Readers are as wildly divergent in their preferences as writers are in their content. What one considers a masterpiece, another would be unutterably bored by and another considers too fast-paced. No way to please everyone.

Generally speaking, I think the community is really positive and supportive! Also, most rationally minded people understand that 0.5 bombing other authors' fictions just *doesn't* help them all that much. (Usually, 0.5 is the troll rating / using the rating system as like, dislike.)

But it's the Internet. We have our share of frustrated, jealous writers and young, immature authors, and illogical, trolling jerks, and average people who had a bad day when they clicked a low rating....
As long as you avoid being rude or hateful to anyone, you shouldn't see much rude of hateful behavior in return!  peoeating

kieranpierce Wrote: Generally speaking, I think the community is really positive and supportive! Also, most rationally minded people understand that 0.5 bombing other authors' fictions just *doesn't* help them all that much. (Usually, 0.5 is the troll rating / using the rating system as like, dislike.)

But it's the Internet. We have our share of frustrated, jealous writers and young, immature authors, and illogical, trolling jerks, and average people who had a bad day when they clicked a low rating....
As long as you avoid being rude or hateful to anyone, you shouldn't see much rude of hateful behavior in return!  peoeating
Embrace the hatred in you.  DrakanPopcorn

Val is not a good influence, let’s just get this out there. 🐕

Or do readers just down mark books because they hate or are offended by the cover or something and don't bother even reading it or leaving a review?
Trolling like that is a bannable ofense I tink (rating other books down)

And low ratings are pretty part and parcel here

if they wanted to sabotage you they'd give you 0.5. 

Objectively speaking, 2.5 is 5/10 and it's "average". Also, requiring people to provide feedbacks for every little rating they leave is understandable, though unrealistic.

Reviews and comments are the tip of the reader iceberg, and if someone thought your book is average, then it probably would take a lot of nitpicking and effort to vocalize exactly what s wrong with it. It's much easier to justify 5s and 0.5s than that dreadfully ambiguous middle ground.

Personally, I always try to help out fellow writers. I comment often, provide feedbacks when I know it can help, and make sure to make my reviews fair yet not discouraging. That's because I have nothing to gain at making someone else's day worse, and if I can help improve a story I read(therefore liked) then it will make it a better reading experience for me, too.

However, if I didn't like the book enough, even I might leave a rating without elaborating. I am, after all, a reader, and I read fiction for entertainment. It's not my job and I'm not paid for it.

.... (that being said, there are toxic and petty people on this site. stay away from celebration threads if you're not going to be positive, chances are you can accidentally offend someone without meaning to and they will go get revenge. which is also a reason why people chose not to say anything when they leave less than stellar ratings, they are afraid of the author taking offense and attacking them for it. happens more often than you think)

I mean you can't always get a high rating no matter what. Stories aren't perfect and people have differentiating tastes and they will express there opinion one way or another. 2.5, just seems like a reader rating who didn't like what they read. Because not everyone is going to like your story. If someone truly wanting to sabotage you, you'll get a 0.5. That is this platforms preferred method of attack.

And seeing as most readers on here aren't vocal, they'll likely just leave a rating and go. If they are compelled to leave a rating at all. I figure most people tend to leave a rating when they are compelled to emotionally when something is excellient or terrible in their eyes. Most won't leave a rating at all and just move on.

Here's the thing, I don't actually MIND bad ratings. Hell, I welcome them, if people can tell me at least a little bit about what I have done wrong.

I would understand completely something like "Look, it's chapter 10, and it's all been character and world building stuff so far. His only fight has been a giant rat and he almost died, bring on the fighting!" or "Man, that dwarf bringing on the delilah thing about how cute a kobold is was an annoying trope. Your females suck" or even unhelpful advice like "Litrpg sucks, it's a crutch for mediocre writers to make their characters relatable without going to the effort to actually expand the character".

I would get it. I would even understand review bombing. It's a rat bastard way to argue, but I get that some people think that ethics is the name of a basketball team.

it's just that an uncharacteristic rash of comment-less mediocre ratings that come in at the same time feels very, very odd. Like I said, I may just be feeling paranoid, but I'd rather get .5 reviews than 2.5's, because then I'd at least know what was happening.

Brian Wrote: Here's the thing, I don't actually MIND bad ratings. Hell, I welcome them, if people can tell me at least a little bit about what I have done wrong.

I would understand completely something like "Look, it's chapter 10, and it's all been character and world building stuff so far. His only fight has been a giant rat and he almost died, bring on the fighting!" or "Man, that dwarf bringing on the delilah thing about how cute a kobold is was an annoying trope. Your females suck" or even unhelpful advice like "Litrpg sucks, it's a crutch for mediocre writers to make their characters relatable without going to the effort to actually expand the character".

I would get it. I would even understand review bombing. It's a rat bastard way to argue, but I get that some people think that ethics is the name of a basketball team.

it's just that an uncharacteristic rash of comment-less mediocre ratings that come in at the same time feels very, very odd. Like I said, I may just be feeling paranoid, but I'd rather get .5 reviews than 2.5's, because then I'd at least know what was happening.

your readers don't know you want feedback

next put author note at chapter 1 "I am ok with low ratings but please justify them" it will encourage people to leave comments, even if they are negative

Sake Wrote:
Brian Wrote: Here's the thing, I don't actually MIND bad ratings. Hell, I welcome them, if people can tell me at least a little bit about what I have done wrong.

your readers don't know you want feedback

next put author note at chapter 1 "I am ok with low ratings but please justify them" it will encourage people to leave comments, even if they are negative
 Ooh! Great Idea, Thanks!

I don't usually like to leave author notes because, well, most people use them to sorta ask for money, but Your idea of using them is vastly less humiliating.

KittraMcBriar Wrote: I think your first mistake was going into this expecting 4s and 5s. 
Maybe don’t enter into something feeling entitled to high ratings, that way when you get them you’ll be overjoyed by those ratings and indifferent to the 2.5. 

That said, I think this community is pretty supportive. What trolls there are tend to leave .5s.

I think going into it expecting NOT to get 4's and 5's is cutting your own throat :) self-fulfilling prophecy. There is a world of difference between feeling entitled to high reviews and working your ass off to get them.

If you read your own writing and don't see potential 5-star work, or at the very least good enough for 4 stars, you probably need to do a re-write or go read a lot of good books to see how THEY did it. That's what I did. Thousands of books before I put the first word on paper.

But I do see where you are coming from. Expect the high ratings, but don't be discouraged by the low ones. People look for different things from a story, and I may not be providing what they were expecting. But I will definitely take Sake Vision's advice and ask for feedback in the author's notes page. I am doing my best, but there is always room for improvement, as long as I know what I need to improve.

Brian Wrote:
KittraMcBriar Wrote: I think your first mistake was going into this expecting 4s and 5s. 
Maybe don’t enter into something feeling entitled to high ratings, that way when you get them you’ll be overjoyed by those ratings and indifferent to the 2.5. 

That said, I think this community is pretty supportive. What trolls there are tend to leave .5s.

I think going into it expecting NOT to get 4's and 5's is cutting your own throat :) self-fulfilling prophecy. There is a world of difference between feeling entitled to high reviews and working your ass off to get them.

If you read your own writing and don't see potential 5-star work, or at the very least good enough for 4 stars, you probably need to do a re-write or go read a lot of good books to see how THEY did it. That's what I did. Thousands of books before I put the first word on paper.

But I do see where you are coming from. Expect the high ratings, but don't be discouraged by the low ones. People look for different things from a story, and I may not be providing what they were expecting. But I will definitely take Sake Vision's advice and ask for feedback in the author's notes page. I am doing my best, but there is always room for improvement, as long as I know what I need to improve.

Of course -I- think my work is good. But I have to account for readers finding flaws in it that I hadn’t considered yet, having different taste, or just getting a bad impression for whatever reason and not wanting to rate me well. I don’t like to assume I know how other people are going to respond to something just because I happen to like it. The whole reason I post my work publicly before just publishing it is to gauge how other people react to it. I came here expecting people to hate my work for not being cultivation or litRPG, for having certain types of MCs, for all kinds of things. And yet I got plenty of high ratings and few lower ones. So, a self-fulfilling prophecy it is not. I’m sure if any of my stories ever really takes off, I’ll get plenty of lower ratings, but that’s frankly just a part of getting more eyes on your work since you can never please everyone. More readers inevitably means more people who won’t like the story. 

I've never heard of anything like that happening, and it's not happened to me. To be fair, though, nobody is going to brag about that kind of backbiting behavior, especially people on the forums where most of those that participate want the community to be a supportive and encouraging place.

Regarding what sort of ratings to expect, I strive to maintain a 'hope for the best but prepare for the worst' mentality. Some people will dislike your best work, others will enjoy stuff you think is crap. The best are those that point out legitimate mistakes, though- it's like having a free editor!