How graphic is too graphic?

Hello all!
I've a character in my story I want to introduce and I want to do so with a bang. In the pre-rewrite; he was gradually introduced, but I'd like to get him out there the way I intended him to be. He's basically a very outspoken, open-to-most-things kinda guy who has a history of taking things too far in regards to chemicals and sex, but it'll mostly be contained to this one chapter. 
Do you think that'd be all right? 

Re: How graphic is too graphic?

Typically when the author goes too far from a comperable action sequence.

You may write about wielding a massive sword or displaying a subtle expertise of artful motion.
If you find the need to detail the swords and shields within the action scene constantly it may not fit the same book anymore. Unless you typically write to that high level of detail for everything.
Also missing the emotional or idea levels of an engagement tends to fall flat.

When action falls flat people skip it, when sex falls flat due to execution, it's existence is blamed rather than the execution.

Quote:It's odd how far one can go in depicting gruesome scenes in videogames and TV, but it's usually the sex-stuff that gets censored. 

Marilyn vos Savant, I recall from a Q&A column she wrote in the 1980s, had one of the few answers to that question that still strikes me as a reasonable defense of treating sex and violence as categorically different. 

Violence when it is simulated, either in words, movies, theater, whatever medium, is still merely a simulation. It is highly unlikely to get your blood pumping to go out and punch someone. Sex when it is described does cause sexual arrousal (by quite a magnitude) more often than the description of violence leads to violence.

In other words, the simulation of violence is not violence, but the simulation of sex is still sex.

You take your date to a rom-com, there is a reasonable chance you will get lucky. If you take your date to see Die Hard, at best, there is a possibility  your date may want to go to the firing range afterward.

Olviddha Wrote:

Quote:It's odd how far one can go in depicting gruesome scenes in videogames and TV, but it's usually the sex-stuff that gets censored. 

Marilyn vos Savant, I recall from a Q&A column she wrote in the 1980s, had one of the few answers to that question that still strikes me as a resonable defense of treating sex and violence as categorically different. 

Violence when it is simulated, either in words, movies, theater, whatever medium, is still merely a simulation. It is highly unlikely to get your blood pumping to go out and punch someone. Sex when it is described does cause sexual arrousal (by quite a magnitude) more often than the description of violence leads to violence.

In other words, the simulation of violence is not violence, but the simulation of sex is still sex.

You take your date to a rom-com, there is a reasonable chance you will get lucky. If you take your date to see Die Hard, at best, there is a possibility  your date may want to go to the firing range afterward.

Peeps be horni...

https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.discordapp.net%2Fattachments...263224.jpg