Re: LGBT+ Fiction on RR

You’re definitely going to find that including LGBTQ+ characters as main characters is going to have an effect on your readership, so it’s about managing expectations and being clear on what, precisely, you want to accomplish by posting your fiction here. Mine has definitely gotten several 0.5 ratings. Are they all from small-minded people who don’t like anyone or anything that isn’t the cishet norm? Probably not. I’m sure there are some that don’t like the way I write the system in my story. But there are almost certainly some that are from bigoted bad actors. 

is that a reason not to post? The only way to answer that is to look at how you feel when that happens. If you can balance it out against what you gain, then cool! Post away! If it’s going to make the act of writing less and less pleasurable or worthwhile for you maybe give things a second thought. 

You are going to find a lot of people on this site (and in the world in general) that can 100% identify with a protagonist that is a dragon or some kind of monstrous aberration and isn’t even human but will then turn around and proclaim loudly and innocently that “oh, they just can’t identify with LGBTQ+ protags”. Sometimes it’s prejudice, sometimes it’s just people being small-minded. You’ll see it in the comments, too. Some people will complain about how LGBTQ+ characters act or say they are being weird or illogical when they’re simply acting differently from the expected heteronormative baseline. 

Is that alone enough reason not to post? Depends.

Know your emotional reactions to things. Think about your expectations and what you want from posting. And if it makes sense for you, please, by all means add to the amazing spectrum of LGBTQ+ fiction in the world! 

We love to see it. 🏳️‍🌈

TomOBedlam Wrote: You are going to find a lot of people on this site (and in the world in general) that can 100% identify with a protagonist that is a dragon or some kind of monstrous aberration and isn’t even human but will then turn around and proclaim loudly and innocently that “oh, they just can’t identify with LGBTQ+ protags
Laughs in my book two first draft. Now they gotta indentify with a LGBTQ dragon in denial DrakanGlasses

So far I haven't gotten any mention about the fact that my MC has two mothers. So I will just keep writing the story how it is without a care what some people might think about that. Some of the characters aren't gonna be less gay because some people might not like it. I am not writing romance or putting much pressure on the point because that is not the story I am telling.

I feel, or rather hope, that for some people fantasy might be the way to go to become more accepting if they weren't before.

There's quite a few queer romance stories on here where the romance is the main focus. They don't tend to get a huge readership (romance stories in general don't) but they usually have a few happy readers (some who even comment!). 

The only chance of running into issues is if its not clear in the blurb and the story gets really popular and then the readers are "blindsided". 

But like most people here have said it's pretty chill. If/when you post a story drop a link at my LGBTQIA+ RR Stories Thread 

Also, the thread has been up for well over half a year and i don't think anyone on it has been harassed because some bigot found their story on the thread. (Probably cuz going through and .5 star bombing 800+ stories is about as obvious and tedious as imaginable.) So that has to count for something, though the necessity of the thread (no relevant tags) certainly speaks volumes about RR's priorities and views...

Depending on the type of representation in the stories there might be author communities on other websites that would welcome you in as well (scribblehub has a pretty chill group of ~50 trans authors)

I am not going to get into a debate over the legal definitions of 'hate speech'. Insults are insults even if they don't violate RR's hate speech rules. You intentionally badmouth your majority readers for whatever reason, you deserve every bit of flack you get. You don't, you are unlikely to get a huge amount of hate if you tag the stuff that will bother some people. Why it bothers them doesn't matter, right or wrong.

Sorry, Humans suck. It's just something a writer just has to deal with. That's why I write about monsters :)

B.A. Wrote: Honestly I'm at over 12k total views, 120+ followers, and 20 something favorites with 11 reviews (3 full, 8 normal ratings).

I have something like a 4.5 star and literally the first chapter introduces you to an LGBTQ+ relationship (the main POV character of that chapter is a lesbian).

I've glanced around at a few "my story got rating bombed" threads a while back and from what I remember glancing at those stories, I'd have suspected it was more due to the quality of the writing than the content. I'd rather assume that than work off the assumption of targeted malice.
I haven't read this yet, though I do plan to. This is an LGBTQ+ book that apparently got bommed

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/29789/twisted-magic

B.A. Wrote:
The Wrote: I haven't read this yet, though I do plan to. This is an LGBTQ+ book that apparently got bommed

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/29789/twisted-magic

I read the first two pages.

Not my kind of story, but it's not bad. A few things stuck out to me and the chapters were a little short, though it's still definitely far higher quality than some of the stuff I was referencing in my other post. If I remember, I might actually leave a positive review.

57,000 views tells me that story has been shown around quite a bit. Given its genre (romance on a primarily fantasy website), a 3.6 rating doesn't strike me as overly odd. At nearly 5x my own view count, it's had a lot more opportunities to get the attention of people who just plain aren't interested in it than mine has. It actually fares about as well as I'd expect for it to given its genre and the make up of this site.

Remember, ratings are for the reader's benefit, not the author's. This is something writers have a habit of forgetting.

That being said, I would be interested in seeing the spread on when it got its lower ratings and whether they were clustered around the same time. When they all hit would also matter, too. If it suddenly shot up in popularity during peak reading time, a lot of people not interested in romance would have seen it and that could affect its rating.

Don't take this reply as me making excuses. If there's malice, the author should have the admins look into it—and given its view count, I'm sure they have. Given the ratings still sit where they do after nearly 2 years of activity, I'm sure it was deemed to have not been review bombed.

You may have misinterpreted the sites demographics.
Not to be disheartening or contemptual (though I fear I might be) 50K isn't a great view count. and average rating is 4+ 
And you may not know this, but it is hard, for both the admin adn reader to actually deam a rating foul play. Unless the rater is a prolific troll that rates 0.5es everywhere teh admins have no choice but to deam it ok. And even if they do 0.5  lot the admins can't simply deam them trolls. If they are actually reading the books than they can't do anything about it.

My own book is at 33K views in 2 months and I can tell you that review bombing is a thing. And that 3.6 is a very low rating since it would still require a lot of trolls (the last 0.5 had my rating go down by only 0.1, and 1 stars and 2 stars only move it by 0.0X. The affect of each rating scales down rapidly with each rating you get.) 

And I think you severely overestimate the amount of authors that check for reader malice...or decide to ignore it. I for one am never going to check. Even if I have too many ratings on Chapter 1. Also, the ratings aren't even made visible properly (they are hidden in the statistc section) , they count for BR, fic ranking etc. Most readers tend to actually  read reviews instead. Ratings are mostly a statistical and dopamine measure. Its why I ignore them.

B.A. Wrote:
The Wrote: You may have misinterpreted the sites demographics.
Not to be disheartening or contemptual (though I fear I might be) 50K isn't a great view count. and average rating is 4+ 
And you may not know this, but it is hard, for both the admin adn reader to actually deam a rating foul play. Unless the rater is a prolific troll that rates 0.5es everywhere teh admins have no choice but to deam it ok. And even if they do 0.5  lot the admins can't simply deam them trolls. If they are actually reading the books than they can't do anything about it.

My own book is at 33K views in 2 months and I can tell you that review bombing is a thing. And that 3.6 is a very low rating since it would still require a lot of trolls (the last 0.5 had my rating go down by only 0.1, and 1 stars and 2 stars only move it by 0.0X. The affect of each rating scales down rapidly with each rating you get.) 

And I think you severely overestimate the amount of authors that check for reader malice...or decide to ignore it. I for one am never going to check. Even if I have too many ratings on Chapter 1. Also, the ratings aren't even made visible properly (they are hidden in the statistc section) , they count for BR, fic ranking etc. Most readers tend to actually  read reviews instead. Ratings are mostly a statistical and dopamine measure. Its why I ignore them.

Unless RR has changed in the last couple of months, I'm pretty sure it's still primarily SFF, with a heavy draw towards litrpg/gamelit. I don't think romance does well on this site on the greater scale (I do not count harem as romance, they are separate genres)

You're actually right, her 57k only equates to about 280 views/chapter. Only 40/chapter more than mine has, and mine is extremely weighted towards the first 20 or so because I am way less active. Though I don't know what her weight looks like, I can only presume its similar. And don't worry, I'm bitter, too. You have over 2x the views and like 4x the ratings I do  peodistress

Who knows, if I ever do take off and get more negative reviews, I might revise my assessment. But this is actually the 2nd time I've uploaded my story and when I took it down the first time (to do some major revisions), I was sitting at around a 3.5 with 20 ratings and it was the same basic set up, the only thing that changed was I edited the story. That's basically what I'm basing my commentary on.
oof. it seems you were unlucky to miss the buffer...frnkly i'd suggest that next rewrite you publish 10K words at once and review swap...should make you a buffer and give you actual criticism...and ye do tell me...I am far from a knowledgable person on that matter but I am willing to learn

Have a nice and fulfilling day  peohello

CastersFate Wrote: Hey, new to the site here, and I have a question concerning the title of this thread:

From your perspective as a community member, would you say LGBT/Queer content is accepted (or at the very least tolerated) on the platform? As an LGBT writer, I especially want some insight from people that write/are reading any works here covering it in any capacity.

The reason I say "tolerated" is because I'm already aware of the potential 0.5 star review bombs that can come with posting and honestly come to expect them. I was just wondering if there was an audience at all that would look past a gay or trans protagonist enough to enjoy the stories I wish to tell. This is pretty important to me because I honestly don't want to waste time posting somewhere with a viewerbase that won't give the content an honest read before blowing it off.

Any opinions or experiences will be a great help and I thank you for your time!
Yes, LGBT + stories are accepted. Plenty of comments have given examples and here is the thread again for a curated list.

There is an audience for a gay or trans mc, imo. 

Explict man on man sex does provoke 'strong reactions'. Signpost it as you would any other kind of sexual content. Some people really don't like reading any kind of sexual content and/or it could be a trigger. 

If the mc sexuality (seperate from any sexual acts) is minor aspect of the story it is your judgement to signpost at all. Like the sun in the sun it just is.

If it is a more major aspect then rather than fearing reactions, proactively make a case for its validity be a step ahead of any haters, signpost etc. There is an audience for it, though not a big one I think on RR as far as I am aware. Then again I only learned about the furry community on RR by reading this thread. It is a wide and diverse site and all the better for it. 

Most 0.5 ratings don't give a reason why, and it only hurts you as a writer to try and work out why you got a 0.5 rating. There are many threads on the matter. It is simply a dislike button. I got stuck with just a 0.5 rating on my story for ages and it could have been for many reasons like piss poor grammar, a story beat or the two men fucking each another in an alleyway. I'll never know and worrying about it killed my motivation to write for a time.  

LGBT content is accepted imo on RR, so the response to a 0.5 is take a break if you need one, talk about it if you want to, focus on what you are grateful for, edit based on feedback and remember why you write and thus keep writing. 

This might be on the nose but if for nothing else more people should get to see your Pride. 

Brian Wrote: I prefer not to dismiss them as homophobes, it's better just to think of them as 'not part of my target demographic'. A lot of people who you think of as 'phobic' or 'bigots' have a very real, deep-seated hatred of something because the human mind likes to draw parallels in order to protect itself.

For example, some very very bad things happened to me when I was six years old. Thus, certain things I see or experience today spark an instant revulsion.

This is literally a phobia. You've just defined a phobia.

And for the record, sorry that happened.

But the OP wasn't asking about people who, for rare personal reasons, find themselves averse to certain content. And to characterize the vast majority of hate that LGBT stories receive as 'woops just people with bad experiences' is ridiculous, sad, and overreaching.

No, I very much doubt the people who spent days raging at The Nothing Mage for having a single consensual kiss were all secretly tragic pasts expressing themselves. And further more, so what if they were? If you have one bad experience with The Scary Gays and spend the rest of your days lashing out at every gay person you meet, you are the problem. No past experience equals permission to discriminate. If you think it does, you have a sickness.

Now to answer the question that was asked...

RR is a bad place for LGBT fiction. The mods have repeatedly shown a tendency to ignore homophobic remarks and harassment. If you wish to persist, more power to you, but know that you'd be better spending your time and effort elsewhere.

NoDragons Wrote:
Brian Wrote: I prefer not to dismiss them as homophobes, it's better just to think of them as 'not part of my target demographic'. A lot of people who you think of as 'phobic' or 'bigots' have a very real, deep-seated hatred of something because the human mind likes to draw parallels in order to protect itself.

For example, some very very bad things happened to me when I was six years old. Thus, certain things I see or experience today spark an instant revulsion.

This is literally a phobia. You've just defined a phobia.

And for the record, sorry that happened.

But the OP wasn't asking about people who, for rare personal reasons, find themselves averse to certain content. And to characterize the vast majority of hate that LGBT stories receive as 'woops just people with bad experiences' is ridiculous, sad, and overreaching.

No, I very much doubt the people who spent days raging at The Nothing Mage for having a single consensual kiss were all secretly tragic pasts expressing themselves. And further more, so what if they were? If you have one bad experience with The Scary Gays and spend the rest of your days lashing out at every gay person you meet, you are the problem. No past experience equals permission to discriminate. If you think it does, you have a sickness.

Now to answer the question that was asked...

RR is a bad place for LGBT fiction. The mods have repeatedly shown a tendency to ignore homophobic remarks and harassment. If you wish to persist, more power to you, but know that you'd be better spending your time and effort elsewhere.
Wait. The mods have? Did you report the comments? In my experience they do remove them promptly. And can you please link to them...I'd like to see what RRs resident toxics have to say. Plus Internet is a bad place for everyone. Go around and you will always find that one person that hates you. For example one guy apparently called me mentally deranged. On this thread. Deleted the post then, didn't know till Buller pointed it out.