LGBT+ Fiction on RR

Hey, new to the site here, and I have a question concerning the title of this thread:

From your perspective as a community member, would you say LGBT/Queer content is accepted (or at the very least tolerated) on the platform? As an LGBT writer, I especially want some insight from people that write/are reading any works here covering it in any capacity.

The reason I say "tolerated" is because I'm already aware of the potential 0.5 star review bombs that can come with posting and honestly come to expect them. I was just wondering if there was an audience at all that would look past a gay or trans protagonist enough to enjoy the stories I wish to tell. This is pretty important to me because I honestly don't want to waste time posting somewhere with a viewerbase that won't give the content an honest read before blowing it off.

Any opinions or experiences will be a great help and I thank you for your time!

Re: LGBT+ Fiction on RR

I read an analysis on the general bias of the forum recently (wish I could remember which thread), and it found that people are generally liberal here. I'm still rather new and haven't gotten to read too much, though.

I think, that in the long run, the more we post LGBT+ positive stories, the more accepted they will become. Hopefully. And if not...isn't it a great day when you upset a homophobe? :) 

The rating bombs can be really upsetting, I know. But I would suggest just give posting your stuff a shot, and if there are any problems, the mods will help. So far, I've found great response time and support from the mods!

You can still accrue dozens or even hundreds of followers if you do it well, but you're quite correct that this is not the ideal site for such content. Being a largely non-explicit and non-romance centric site attracts a good quantity of people with more traditional action/adventure interests and they're less likely to want modern social themes in their fiction.

As a reader, I'm not particularly bothered either way, but I know from what I've seen of others attempts that you'll do far, far better with the exact same story if you leave out any hint of controversial themes.

Aster Wrote: Being a largely non-explicit and non-romance centric site attracts a good quantity of people with more traditional action/adventure interests and they're less likely to want modern social themes in their fiction.

I think I'd like to clarify that what I would be writing wont be smut/anything explicit of the sort, and may not even include relationships at all. Sometimes a character is just LGBT but won't show much of an interest in being with someone, making being LGBT more of an offhand part of them than a deep and meaningful plot point or character arc.

I do see what you're saying though and appreciate the response, thank you!

CastersFate Wrote: Hey, new to the site here, and I have a question concerning the title of this thread:

From your perspective as a community member, would you say LGBT/Queer content is accepted (or at the very least tolerated) on the platform? As an LGBT writer, I especially want some insight from people that write/are reading any works here covering it in any capacity.

The reason I say "tolerated" is because I'm already aware of the potential 0.5 star review bombs that can come with posting and honestly come to expect them. I was just wondering if there was an audience at all that would look past a gay or trans protagonist enough to enjoy the stories I wish to tell. This is pretty important to me because I honestly don't want to waste time posting somewhere with a viewerbase that won't give the content an honest read before blowing it off.

hi! I'm pansexual and I have been reading on the site for a while. LGBTQ stories are welcome and there are a few popular ones written by beloved authors here. I would say it depends on how the fiction is presented - it's more likely to get hate if LGBTQ is the focus compared to being later on in the story with little to no effect on the plot. And if it is a male presenting character vs a female-presenting one and if the character is used as a nonimportant part of the plot vs the main character. I have seen stories centered on LGBTQ characters get hated, especially if it's heavily mentioned in the events of the book, so I would say it can be a hit or miss. HOWEVER, there is a list to promote lgbtq books with helpful resources and welcoming arms from authors who've been here for a while with a 100+ chapters and have learned how to gain a respectful audience.

There was a thread that asked a similar question a few months back. From what I've been able to gather, the average RR user isn't hostile about it per se, but not as comfortable or familiar with LGBT+ topics as a site like Tapas (from what I've heard) or even Wattpad.  

I've heard there are really popular stories here that happen to have female leads who are attracted to women. I don't know how well that translates to gay/bisexual/etc. guy protagonists, transgender protagonists, etc. There are people here that are interested in the latter stories too, but I don't know if the majority would be onboard. There is a thread actively trying to collect stories with LGBT+ stuff, if you're interested in that.

I don't have any personal experiences one way or the other, but best of luck to you if you decide to stay here!

MarytheGorgon Wrote: I would say it depends on how the fiction is presented - it's more likely to get hate if LGBTQ is the focus compared to being later on in the story with little to no effect on the plot.

This is actually very helpful, thank you! I'm personally not a HUGE fan of novels where romance is a big part of plot, which would make the "will this heavily effect the plot" a non-issue. Most of the characters I write that are LGBT just are if that makes sense, like how some protagonists are straight but never get into a relationship or are explicitly into anyone in the story. 

Quote:HOWEVER, there is a list to promote lgbtq books with helpful resources and welcoming arms from authors who've been here for a while with a 100+ chapters and have learned how to gain a respectful audience.

This is also pretty comforting to know, because I noticed there seemed to be a lack of a tagging system for stories with LGBT rep (which I understand, with how there can be targeted hate), so I wasn't too sure as to how to find books that included it. Thank you for the response!

bulgariansumo Wrote: There was a thread that asked a similar question a few months back. From what I've been able to gather, the average RR user isn't hostile about it per se, but not as comfortable or familiar with LGBT+ topics as a site like Tapas (from what I've heard) or even Wattpad.  

I've heard there are really popular stories here that happen to have female leads who are attracted to women. I don't know how well that translates to a gay/bisexual/etc. guy protagonists, transgender protagonists, etc. There are people here that are interested in the latter stories too, but I don't know if the majority would be onboard. There is a thread actively trying to collect stories with LGBT+ stuff, if you're interested in that.

I don't have any personal experiences one way or the other, but best of luck to you if you decide to stay here!

Thank you for the threads and resources, I'll definitely be checking them out! From what I'm seeing there doesn't seem to be any 100% blatant hate and backlash which is honestly all I can ask for that this point when it comes to posting content with some LGBT characters. I'll probably try out posting here and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. Thank you for your time!

As far as I know, the only real hard demand of LGBT+ fiction is that it is labeled as such. side characters are no big deal, but if you suddenly spring it on the protagonist, especially a few books in, you won't just lose a few readers, you might enrage them.

Broken expectations are a real thing, even if you are otherwise utterly tolerant or uncaring about sexual orientation. It's like surprise buttsex in the third book of an otherwise g-rated series (Yes, I saw it happen. I ragequit, not because I gave a crap about the character's orientation, but because this series suddenly had the MC happily writhing on another dude's intimately-described chicken.). Surprise endings are cool, but suddenly springing on the audience that the Ford mechanic character they have been investing their sympathies in hates ford and only drives German cars halfway through the book is a nasty, and unpleasant, surprise.

Warn us, most of us will be fine, even if it doesn't float our boat. Vanyel was friggin awesome.

CastersFate Wrote: Hey, new to the site here, and I have a question concerning the title of this thread:

As far as I know, there is no hate as such against LGBTQ+ especially not against female LGBTQ+, one of the great hiccups of a book as @Brian Murphy said is when the protaganist is revealed as gay midbook. That does get a lot of hate on the site. But as long as you are open about this from the get go it shouldn't be a problem. The homophobes will likely skip your book but well, they're homophobes.

I prefer not to dismiss them as homophobes, it's better just to think of them as 'not part of my target demographic'. A lot of people who you think of as 'phobic' or 'bigots' have a very real, deep-seated hatred of something because the human mind likes to draw parallels in order to protect itself.

For example, some very very bad things happened to me when I was six years old. Thus, certain things I see or experience today spark an instant revulsion. Sure, I know that 'not everyone is like that', but that doesn't make my revulsion a 'phobia' since it has very real roots in my experiences, and it happens often enough to others that their dislike for it has a very real foundation in self-preservation.

The thing is, with adequate forwarning a lot of people can simply intellectualize that in a book. Some people cannot. Those people are not 'phobic', they will just be interested in a different kind of Story that doesn't center around whatever trauma occurred in their past.

A girl who spent 5 years enslaved to a pimp with drugs may not be interested in certain Dominant-male-themed events in something I may write, even if it's not anything blatantly sexual, but that doesn't make her a 'man hater', it simply means she is not part of that targetted book's demographic. She may buy my NEXT book, where the superhero literally throws a woman-enslaving pimp through a trailer where he gets impaled on a stuffed swordfish (Yes, I have written both) I am not going to dismiss her from my audience... and I hope she may choose to read the next book even if she noticed the tag on this one.

But she's not going to do that if I dismiss her as a 'man hating lesbian' and don't bother to warn her that in my last book, the hero had to treat a spoiled princess like a petulant child in order to get her to 'behave'.

Think of it like a lawyer. Your client is a total douchebag. He treats women like crap, likes to get drunk and beat people up, and would sell his own mother for crack. You don't LIKE him.

He's accused of murder. You don't know if he committed it or not, but you know that he would certainly be CAPABLE of doing it, and he's  douchebag.

Your job, though, the one you are capable and proud of doing is to NOT let him hang for murder. If you get proof that he actually murdered someone, well, then you can turn it over to the police and recuse yourself. But until then, he's an innocent douchebag that should probably spend time in jail for beating people up, but he is NOT a murderer.

That guy is your audience. It's not about 'moral grey areas', it's about the fact that they are your audience until they decide to stop reading your work. Unless you write a book about a particular subject to illuminate your point of view, we are entertainers as much as an actor or a painter. People pay to watch the monkey dance, they are not interested in the monkey's opinion on the organ grinder. When we get rich and famous, maybe people would care, but if our opinions were really that important, we would be fighting for them rather than grumbling about our audience disagreeing with them.

If you think a particular opinion will entertain your audience, go for it. The only thing you have to lose is a whole lot of money and respect :)

Brian Wrote: I prefer not to dismiss them as homophobes, it's better just to think of them as 'not part of my target demographic'. A lot of people who you think of as 'phobic' or 'bigots' have a very real, deep-seated hatred of something because the human mind likes to draw parallels in order to protect itself.

I think you're having a very deep misunderstanding about what I was asking here. I literally don't care about "homophobes or bigots" or whatever you claim I'm talking about that may be on this site. I know that writing LGBT content will be off-putting to some people and that they will avoid it, and me WRITING it does not at all mean that I want those same people to consume my content and love it. Everyone has their preferences and I have no goal here to make those that don't enjoy the content I put out to read and send positive reviews.

What I wanted to know was if the people that ARE uncomfortable with it will blatantly go out of their way to not only ruin my experience sharing my content, but also the experience of those that don't mind it and want to read it. 

Theres a VERY big difference between not reading something that can potentially be triggering to you and ignoring it versus reading a chapter and hate bombing it/rating it 0.5 for having a social aspect that you don't enjoy. If people don't want to read it? Fine, that's their choice and I respect it. What I DONT want is for someone or multiple people to attack me in any way for having a gay or trans character within my own novel. Thats all I wanted to know.

Brian Wrote: If you think a particular opinion will entertain your audience, go for it. The only thing you have to lose is a whole lot of money and respect :)

The condescension here is exactly what I was afraid of to be honest. It may not be what you intended, and honestly your first reply made way more sense than whatever this comment was, but yeah. I have no idea what changed between your first post and now but the defensiveness here when I literally never even mentioned homophobia or bigots is both off putting and disappointing. I get where your coming from in some sense but your reply has little to do with what I asked for in this thread.

CastersFate Wrote:
Brian Wrote: If you think a particular opinion will entertain your audience, go for it. The only thing you have to lose is a whole lot of money and respect :)

The condescension here is exactly what I was afraid of to be honest. It may not be what you intended, and honestly your first reply made way more sense than whatever this comment was, but yeah. I have no idea what changed between your first post and now but the defensiveness here when I literally never even mentioned homophobia or bigots is both off putting and disappointing. I get where your coming from in some sense but your reply has little to do with what I asked for in this thread.
Well... he is right. The experience you will get from having lbtq on this site is a general loss of viewership. 'We don't like them gays,' is the general attitude you can expect from a good chunk of people here. Not because we hate them but because there is no need for them. We just need algebra and then its all fine. Anything else can be avoided.

Expect more 0.5s if you continue. 

DrBuller Wrote: Expect more 0.5s if you continue.

Which is all I needed to hear. If something like LGBT characters being in a novel is enough for people to just downvote instead of just ignoring it and moving onto the next story, it's something I would like to know sooner rather than later. Like I said, there's a pretty big difference between saying "hey this wasn't for me, sorry" and "hey I don't like that there were gay characters here, im going to give you 0.5 stars just because of them." 

Its like going to a fantasy book on the site and immediately giving it a 0.5 because of the fantasy aspect. 

Thank you for the response though, it gives me a lot to think about and how I'd approach this whole thing in the future.

CastersFate Wrote: Its like going to a fantasy book on the site and immediately giving it a 0.5 because of the fantasy aspect.
yeah. kinda like going to wattpad and expecting straight people.

CastersFate Wrote: Thank you for the response though, it gives me a lot to think about and how I'd approach this whole thing in the future.
no problemo

The Wrote: The homophobes will likely skip your book but well, they're homophobes.
That viewpoint is wrong, IMO. Some people don't like romance in their stories, some people don't like sexual themes, even if those themes portray straight people. Would you call them straightphobes? Readers often mentally put themselves in the shoes of the characters. And as humans, they also put more emphasis on gender and sexual preferences than any other character traits, so feeling discomfort concerning some differences in those aspects is normal and not really a phobia...

It is easy to recoil sharing a story because of how people, openly homophobic or anti-LGBTQ+ in any way, might react.

I implore you to post your work anyway. Negativity is loud. But people, quiet and in the background, will always need that unwavering voice to write their story. 

Maybe it's selfish of me to try and encourage people to keep writing when angry nay-sayers arm themselves with a keyboard and go for the gut, so to speak. But there's also a chance that one person out there desperately needs to hear the message only you've got. It might not be worth the agony internet strangers can inflict...but it might be.

It is, and always should be, up to the author to decide when and where their story goes. 

CastersFate Wrote:
Brian Wrote: I prefer not to dismiss them as homophobes, it's better just to think of them as 'not part of my target demographic'. A lot of people who you think of as 'phobic' or 'bigots' have a very real, deep-seated hatred of something because the human mind likes to draw parallels in order to protect itself.

I think you're having a very deep misunderstanding about what I was asking here. I literally don't care about "homophobes or bigots" or whatever you claim I'm talking about that may be on this site. I know that writing LGBT content will be off-putting to some people and that they will avoid it, and me WRITING it does not at all mean that I want those same people to consume my content and love it. Everyone has their preferences and I have no goal here to make those that don't enjoy the content I put out to read and send positive reviews.

What I wanted to know was if the people that ARE uncomfortable with it will blatantly go out of their way to not only ruin my experience sharing my content, but also the experience of those that don't mind it and want to read it. 

Theres a VERY big difference between not reading something that can potentially be triggering to you and ignoring it versus reading a chapter and hate bombing it/rating it 0.5 for having a social aspect that you don't enjoy. If people don't want to read it? Fine, that's their choice and I respect it. What I DONT want is for someone or multiple people to attack me in any way for having a gay or trans character within my own novel. Thats all I wanted to know.

I won't say you won't receive any backlash from LGBT+ themes cause that'd be a blatant lie. Though from what I have seen, RR had gotten more tolerant towards those themes than before(It was worse before, now it's just kinda bad still, but not fully) since the recent influx of many writers and readers who want those themes, so it's a lot better now. Still, if you intend to put such themes in your story, you should put clear warnings in your synopsis, author's notes, and preferably in parenthesis beside the title of your book(cause some people wouldn't read synopsis and author's note and jump straight into the story). i.e. Don't leave any loopholes for your readers to exploit...

You might still receive some hate from some toxic people but that's true for literally anything you write. People reading your work just to hate on you is just a reality we have to live with as writers...

I Wrote: You might still receive some hate from some toxic people but that's true for literally anything you write. People reading your work just to hate on you is just a reality we have to live with as writers...

Oh yeah, I'm fully prepared for this as its true to literally anything that you post on the internet. I'm well aware that no matter where I post, there will be people that hate it. I just wanted to know if RR was a place it could be posted while also being given a chance, and not be something that's put down immediately by everyone just for having LGBT characters within it.

Thank you for the response!