Has this ever happened to you?

So I'm writing and all, kinda normal stuff. Typing away on the computer, changing a words and phrases and then I hit a period. The paragraph is done and I decide to use it as the time to check my word count. Lo and Behold, the word count is near 6k words and I'm barely done with the chapter since I still have a lot to cover. Panic and don't know what to do, then just decide to find the best point to cut off and split the chapter. 

From what I've realized lately, lots of people don't like stories where chapters exceed over 3k and my stories tend to balance on that thin line a lot of the time. I cannot count how many times this has happened.

Re: Has this ever happened to you?

Gryphon10 Wrote: So I'm writing and all, kinda normal stuff. Typing away on the computer, changing a words and phrases and then I hit a period. The paragraph is done and I decide to use it as the time to check my word count. Lo and Behold, the word count is near 6k words and I'm barely done with the chapter since I still have a lot to cover. Panic and don't know what to do, then just decide to find the best point to cut off and split the chapter. 

From what I've realized lately, lots of people don't like stories where chapters exceed over 3k and my stories tend to balance on that thin line a lot of the time. I cannot count how many times this has happened.
Don’t worry about the length, if you are concerned. Simply make a split into part 1, 2, etc. Should see my base, they don’t care that some chapters can break 20k words. I write to a natural conclusion, no more, no less. Some chapters are shorter, some are longer, this is based on relevance.

I started to chop up my longer chapters(if I already wrote them) or keep my them at lower counts because I think about my readers retention. I used to have super long chapter at like 10k words but from feedback I’ve been given, it’s far too long.

Making things bite size is good some consumption and you can also release more frequently if you put a ton of effort into editing. There’s nothing wrong with writing longer chapters, but it creates a job of keeping your readers attention for every step of the way.

Gryphon10 Wrote: So I'm writing and all, kinda normal stuff. Typing away on the computer, changing a words and phrases and then I hit a period. The paragraph is done and I decide to use it as the time to check my word count. Lo and Behold, the word count is near 6k words and I'm barely done with the chapter since I still have a lot to cover. Panic and don't know what to do, then just decide to find the best point to cut off and split the chapter. 

Yep, exact same issue here. I typically cut the chapter in half when i publish it, but still name both chunks of it acordingly. So i'll have chapter 5.1 and 5.2 for example. 

I know this isn't the case for a lot of people (even some in the comments here), but as a reader, i enjoy chapters that are around 2k long. It's the perfect lengh to read on my phone, since if i turn my phone off, i can easily find where i was afterwads, or i can quickly finish a chapter before doing something else when i know how much is left.

I Wrote: On a side note, I used to lose track of time and have a massive word count, but since I now check my word count after twenty minutes of writing, I don't do that anymore...

This is generally me. Before I had a set time of day that I wrote, I would just go and go until I couldn’t, but that got unhealthy for various reasons, so now I do it early in the morning with my first cup of coffee, and limit it to one hour at most. Of course, if I have time I’ll write more throughout the day because it’s what I love to do, but having that set time with a set limit helps keep me accountable for my own needs outside of writing, accountable for writing my story, and accountable for waking up.

That all goes out the window when I get close to the end of a story/arc/whatever, though—something about writing the climax of a book is just almost impossible to deny.

Elysium Wrote: Yep and this kind of stuff seems hard for some readers to digest. I've lost count of the times I had to explain why my chapters are into three parts. 

"...BECAUSE IT IS LONG. SOME AUTHORS JUST TEND TO WRITE MORE, THE IDEAS ARE ZOOMING AND WE WANT TO WRITE IT ALL DOWN WITHOUT BREAKING INTO ANOTHER NEW CHAPTER OR DRAGGING A SIMPLE EVENT INTO SEVERAL CHAPTERS. DO YOU WANT TO READ HUGE CHUNKS OF PARAGRAPHS PER CHAPTER UPDATE? You don't, right? You can't even make it pass my table of contents before opening your mouth." DrakanFix (Sorry, Scribblehub forum is currently grilling me about this)

So, yup. What I do is cut a chapter by three so it goes like Chapter 1.1.. and so on. I think it's much better that way than posting long huge chunks of paragraphs. Other than that it also works if you're aiming for daily updates since it will build up your "chapter storage/ drafts" or whatever that's called since sometimes we are just too busy to sit down and write. What matters is the pacing and the quality of each chapter and overall the story.  peoYes
Its called backlog

Unfortunately, I have the opposite problem where I thought I had written enough content for a chapter, only to find that the word count is a bit lower than my average.