a story idea

a story idea i had

a loser get isekai'ed, and become a successful adventure, then he get amnesia, and return to be the person just after he got isekai'ed

he then have to deal with people that are apparently his closest friends now , but the person he was before and after the amnesia are very different, and it makes it hard on everyone,
all the while he need to relearn how to be an adventurer

edit:

it seems that once again i fail to communicate the essence of my ideas
so i will try again:

the idea behind this is that the MC after the amnesia have a lot of people that he have strong bonds with

the fantasy that this idea try to build on is to have deep bounds out of nowhere.
it aimes at loners that have no deep connections and wish to have them.

the story itself use light novel reading style, the progression fantasy, isekai fantasy and combat action as the bait to reel the target audience to a more "romance" kind of story.
a and the tension in the story come from the people that knows and are about who he was, but having a hardship dealing with the "new" MC, and on the Mc part, how to deal as a loner with influx of people that care about him, but not "him".

sorrow and excitement in the same scene. is guaranteed to create emotional turbulence

Re: a story idea

I assume the mc gets strong as they became a successful adventurer, but amnesia shouldn't take away any of that strength. Therefore there's a high chance that the mc will not make the same choices as the "future" mc because they are much stronger but with a different personality, there may be a chance they won't ever be the same person. Just something to think about, unless that was what you were intending. In that case, it certainly is an interesting concept though it would likely need a lot of work put into the characters and their personalities as that would be an important focus in the book.

Amine Wrote: I assume the mc gets strong as they became a successful adventurer, but amnesia shouldn't take away any of that strength.
It might remove skill, though. Small s skills. Maybe motor skills would remain, but magine them being some kind of gundam mechanic and forgetting you can't put diesel in a gas tank.. 

Haust Wrote: Amine Wrote:
I assume the mc gets strong as they became a successful adventurer, but amnesia shouldn't take away any of that strength.

It might remove skill, though. Small s skills. Maybe motor skills would remain, but magine them being some kind of gundam mechanic and forgetting you can't put diesel in a gas tank..
True

You know, LITRPG has a lot of potential for mystery, if we apply this scenario and lean on the system
Imagine the MC gets isekaid and has a buffed up body and lots of skills already developed, then he must discover what exactly happened to him
His classes and skills would be a big give away about his lifestyle, but what if he has secrets he keeps from the general public?
Finding out what he can reveal and what he must keep hidden, while digging up his own past would be pretty entertaining

hakatri Wrote: You know, LITRPG has a lot of potential for mystery, if we apply this scenario and lean on the system
Imagine the MC gets isekaid and has a buffed up body and lots of skills already developed, then he must discover what exactly happened to him
His classes and skills would be a big give away about his lifestyle, but what if he has secrets he keeps from the general public?
Finding out what he can reveal and what he must keep hidden, while digging up his own past would be pretty entertaining

i also like this concept's potential for mystery
even though amnesia kinda bugs me normally
PeoReading

eric_river Wrote:
hakatri Wrote: You know, LITRPG has a lot of potential for mystery, if we apply this scenario and lean on the system

i also like this concept's potential for mystery
even though amnesia kinda bugs me normally
PeoReading
Yeah, amnesia as a plot device is overdone and kinda flat tbh. Not saying the trope can't be used, but would take a lot of effort and would work better in some kinda surrealist story instead of a progression fantasy...

The amnesia discussion reminds me of the beginning of Roger Zelaznys Chronicles of Amber, where the MC wakes up with no memory, realizes he's been kept sedated against his will, discovers he has magic powers and is part of a large family and there's the throne of a magical kingdom on the line.

It's honestly a very 'light novel' type series. No lit rpg, tho.

Actually, a memory altering skill is a better reason to have laser-guided amnesia then most amnesia plots manage.

Not_A_Hat Wrote: Actually, a memory altering skill is a better reason to have laser-guided amnesia then most amnesia plots manage.
Oooh. An MC wakes up with amnesia and a single legendary skill. The description says it will grant a wish but at the expense of the casters levels and memories. They can figure out they must've used it, but they don't know why, or on what.. 

Haust Wrote: Oooh. An MC wakes up with amnesia and a single legendary skill. The description says it will grant a wish but at the expense of the casters levels and memories. They can figure out they must've used it, but they don't know why, or on what..

I like that! I'd set the skill price to memories and levels accumulated after the skill gain, so the longer they waited the more powerful the wish, but the bigger the loss. They'd still have basic knowledge and skills and also remember everything up to gaining the legendary skill - and maybe a bit after, such as swearing to never use it.

But let's go a step farther - there's got to be a reason they didn't just leave themselves a letter or something, right?

They wake up in a precarious situation, maybe in a jail or trapped somewhere dangerous. Then, as the MC tries to figure out what's going on, two people show up. They both claim to be important to the MC, able to tell them their past and how the wish was used, except they don't agree - one of them is definitely lying.

Now the MC needs to figure out who to trust while escaping, and decide if they even want to know the truth - will they like the person they became after so many years? Maybe the wish wasn't the primary reason for using a memory-wipe skill...

Yeah, could be good, I think. But then, most ideas can be turned into a workable story - it's having the discipline to actually write it that kills me. :P