How did you deal with your first 0.5 rating?

I scrambled to figure out how The Psysword Chronicles could go from the 7,000s to the 8,000s overnight. Just one rating made it plummet over 1,000 places.

I've been supportive of other posters with the same problem in the past, but I never thought it would affect me as much as it has. Any advice? Especially when ratings are so hard to come by, it's not like it's a drop in the bucket--it has definitely tipped the scales for me in a bad way! But I know it's something that happens on RR from time to time.

Thoughts?

Re: How did you deal with your first 0.5 rating?

I popped a random 5* to help offset it. 

Don't attach value to your ranking. It doesn't matter outside the top 50, maybe 100 so that you can be on the first and second page of best rated. Obviously, this is not the case for you, so it literally doesn't matter.

As for ratings, my story has mostly existed sub 4* and haven't seen it hurt growth all that much. I still get new followers regularly.
Just ignore it. Again, literally doesn't matter.
There's a feature to hide ratings from your view, and they even give you a visual boost in your rating just to make you feel good. Makes it easier to ignore.

I was confused and hurt, trying to figure out why anyone would hate my story that much. I didn't realize then that a lot of people don't actually give the same weight or consideration to ratings as I do, and just throw out .5s for anything they don't care for.

You have to understand that it really doesn't matter what they think, they're not your target audience and their opinion shouldn't make you slow down or worry. But it's not easy to shrug off, especially the first time, so I can only say... you can get through this, I promise, and it'll hurt a bit less next time.

peolove  And we're all here to cheer you on. The RR community is one of the kindest and most supportive I've ever found anywhere, you're in good company. Hang in there, and just keep writing!

Hmm… for me, the low ratings give me the thought ”oh, so this book just wasn’t for them.”
 It’s a sad truth that not everyone will click with our stories, but we all like different things, and some say that with the ratings while others just click away. If it helps at all, go to your favorite author on amazon and goodreads and look at the one star reviews they have—that, if anything, proves tastes are different :) 

You can get through this as long as you write for the people who do like your work :) 

By the way, since you have a premium account, you can go in to look where in the story they left the rating. I find that very helpful when trying to figure out if I did something wrong or if the reader just didn’t click with the story. My 0.5 came in at chapter 5, so still fairly early in the story, but most of my high ratings came later! That’s encouraging to me, at least :) 

You’ll come out stronger and with thicker skin from this!

Oh, I got different view for this one. People normally give outright 5 stars if they like my story for example. Is my story truly a masterpiece that deserves perfect 5 stars? Obviously not. It's just how people behave, and of course I like to get 5 stars. On the flip side, there are also people who give 0.5 when they dislike something. That's just two sides of the same coin. If I don't have problems with the 5 star ones, then I shouldn't also complain about the 0.5. 

kieranpierce Wrote: I popped a random 5* to help offset it. 

Don't attach value to your ranking. It doesn't matter outside the top 50, maybe 100 so that you can be on the first and second page of best rated. Obviously, this is not the case for you, so it literally doesn't matter.

As for ratings, my story has mostly existed sub 4* and haven't seen it hurt growth all that much. I still get new followers regularly.
Just ignore it. Again, literally doesn't matter.
There's a feature to hide ratings from your view, and they even give you a visual boost in your rating just to make you feel good. Makes it easier to ignore.

Wow, thank you for the rating boost! Much appreciated! And that does help put it in perspective. I thought maybe 5,000, 4,000 might help with visibility more... But it sounds like I'm still a long way away from that mattering much.

Ely Wrote: By the way, since you have a premium account, you can go in to look where in the story they left the rating. I find that very helpful when trying to figure out if I did something wrong or if the reader just didn’t click with the story.

DrakanThinking
That sounds very helpful! Do you know how I'd go about accessing that feature? I just got Premium for completing the Writathon so I don't really know how it works. I tried messing around with some settings but can't seem to find analytics anywhere.

Temple Wrote: If I don't have problems with the 5 star ones, then I shouldn't also complain about the 0.5.

I get that everyone will have a different opinion, no one's writing is for everyone, but I'm used to getting somewhere in the middle of the zone I guess. A story would have to be practically unreadable and/or horrendously offensive for me to consider giving it even a 1-star. But then I've never given a 5-star either, I usually toss 3s and 4s out there. I suppose it's possible that someone felt that strongly about it, I just was surprised since it was so extreme in the other direction, you know? But I get what you're saying. RR karma was bound to even me out at some point. 😅

Quote:That sounds very helpful! Do you know how I'd go about accessing that feature? I just got Premium for completing the Writathon so I don't really know how it works. I tried messing around with some settings but can't seem to find analytics anywhere. 

Yeah, I also just recently got the premium, so I understand the confusion, haha :) you go to your author dashboard, then look at the panel to the left. There you will find a tab called Analytics, and if you press on it, you have Ratings close to the bottom of the list!

Oh, and something more I found helpful—take some time to go through the tabs to the left in your author dashboard. There you can see where people are finding your fiction! Most of mine seem to come from New Releases or, oddly enough, rep-points that have been given  DrakanThinking

I think I was more confused than anything. Royal Road is a hosting site for amateur and aspiring authors, and I think people forget that sometimes. 

To me, a 0.5 screams of someone desperately wanting their opinion to matter far more than it should. I highly suspect most people that leave them would gladly leave -5 stars if given the opportunity.

I really love the latest addition to the analytics that shows which chapter received what ratings. It's incredibly telling when the 0.5s are dropped on the first chapter exclusively. Lazy troll, Dislike button, Gatekeeper, completely ignorable in terms of relevance to your story. 1-3's, there is probably something worth taking a look at and fixing.

My reaction when I got 0.5: 
'Ha! It finally happened!' 
*proceeds to be sorta depressed* 
*realize there's nothing I could do about it* 
*What I could do is to keep improving*

You could take the 0.5 in many ways. Stories is 2+2 between writers and readers and there's no story that could be enjoyed by all of humanity. Getting a 0.5 could mean that you're big enough to get someone who disagree or reach someone who has a different point of view!

Maybe, if you're like me, when staring at the 0.5 you'll think, 'So my story is bad... I've had my suspicion, but now this rating just confirms it.' You could accept the 0..5 and begin improving. Try taking 0.5... rather than 'This story is bad, stop.'... as 'This story still has room for improvement.' Because let me tell you the truth (at least ones that I learned from studying emotions), the opposite of love is not hate, but indifference. The fact that someone rated the story 0.5 is because they care about the story. They care enough that it needed to be said. If they don't care, they would just left it there imo.

Like... perhaps try remembering the last story that you hate(?) I think if you try thinking about it, when you hate a story, it's usually because of something along the line of 'I hate this story because I believe that this story could be so much more.'

Another thing that might help would be to think of the 0.5 rating as a challenge.
'I'll prove this rating wrong by writing even better!'

Anyway, hope this helps!

Blind_Watcher Wrote: It's incredibly telling when the 0.5s are dropped on the first chapter exclusively.

I actually looked into it, and it was dropped on my very first chapter. So I'm glad it's not really something I could improve on, someone like that was going to leave the lowest rating possible anyway as soon as possible. Possibly mad that I finished the Writathon? Not a fan of portal fantasy in general? I missed a typo? I dunno.  DrakanLaugh

razscrivens Wrote:
DrBuller Wrote: I didn't :)

Wait... are you implying you've NEVER gotten a 0.5 on the site in all these years, not even from a random errant troll looking to distribute frowns in the world?

Or are you saying you just didn't deal with it, that it still bothers you? Both are funny, I just don't understand.
Dealing with negative emotions is for wussies.

Just bottle them up like me🦆🦆🦆

DrBuller Wrote:
razscrivens Wrote:
DrBuller Wrote: I didn't :)

Wait... are you implying you've NEVER gotten a 0.5 on the site in all these years, not even from a random errant troll looking to distribute frowns in the world?

Or are you saying you just didn't deal with it, that it still bothers you? Both are funny, I just don't understand.
Dealing with negative emotions is for wussies.

Just bottle them up like me🦆🦆🦆

DrakanThink
Now THAT'S a solid plan right there. I'm on it!