Re: Chapter regret

M.J. Wrote: You ever just finish writing a chapter and ask yourself, 'WTF did I just write?' Time to scrap the chapter and start over, first time in a long time I felt the need to do that.
This really only happened between the first and third draft. Though, I would write the entire story first, then go and do a rewrite. Only in very few instances would I do a rewrite beforehand. This in turn will cause a rewrite for all of the works in connection. Which is why I try and wait until the end, consistency is of importance. If I change one thing, I have to change everything in relation.

Paradoxcloud Wrote: Sure, it's called a draft for a reason.

Pretty much everything that I write follows the same stramine,

I half write a chapter late at night,
I finish it the following night,
I reread it, realize that it's horrid and either correct my mistakes that same night or I do so the day after.

Same here. Sometimes Microsoft Word autocorrects me, and I get gems like "She was walking down the street when her malignancy rang", making me wonder what the hell I typed in the first place for it to be autocorrected to that instead of "phone".

In Tunnel Rat I wrote an early chapter that gave me complete writers block. It just made so many other things I wanted to do not make sense. I'd already posted it. 

So I rewrote chapter 4, burned chapter 5, and kept on going, apologizing to readers. One of the dangers of the writathon and just rolling along with a story.

Sometimes I throw out two versions of a chapter twice in a row. The struggle gets more challenging for me when I try to tie the old and new arcs together and not come off like a total hack.
I understand that some of it is imposter syndrome, but there are also natural flaws that seem magnified under the significance of stitching two arcs together.

So, I write on the bus a lot.
Sometimes I sit down at home, open up what I've written that day, and just wonder what I'm doing with my life. Why did I write this? How did I write this? What was going through my mind as I wrote it? What do half of these words even mean? Why does my word processor insist on switching everything into present tense and capitalizing words that start with D? Erase, sit back, and download a couple books to my phone.

Mad Wrote: So, I write on the bus a lot.
Sometimes I sit down at home, open up what I've written that day, and just wonder what I'm doing with my life. Why did I write this? How did I write this? What was going through my mind as I wrote it? What do half of these words even mean? Why does my word processor insist on switching everything into present tense and capitalizing words that start with D? Erase, sit back, and download a couple books to my phone.
I know this is your life and everything, but this Detailed glimpse into your thought process was fascinating and hilarious.

ZachSkye Wrote: Normally I edit a chapter and think, "Was I drunk when I wrote this? What the hell?"
This. I don't think I've ever finished a chapter and immediately dismissed it as worthless.  However I've gone back to a chapter for it's first revision and seen mistakes that left me wondering WTF I was doing when I wrote it.