Re: Question about Rising Stars

The questions seem to have mostly been answered but I'll throw in my thoughts anyways.

No, you can't go back to Rising unless you have just been jumping around at the bottom of it. But once out of it for good, the chances are exceptionally low in most circumstances.

If you do plan to do a rewrite, I suggest making a new fiction entry titled "Add your story name here (Rewrite)" instead of just reposting them with the same fiction. There are multiple reasons for this, but a big one is, well. You get to go on Rising again. You have a chance to obtain a better rank on best rated and it's less messy and allows you to add in more chapters.

This is what I plan to do for my story anyway, at least. But do bear in mind that this comes at a risk of losing followers and it is essentially a start from the groundup again. A decent number of people will likely follow and there's a decent chance you will surpass your current story but It will take time and time is a precious commodity.

For me, I also have to calculate if it's worth the potential loss in follow count, as I've got a decent follow growth. But, with two stories, and my second one being bigger, I've come to treasure my book more as a "book" and put less weight on its arguable popularity on Royal Road and potential loss of readers from the rewrite. I knew, after I had finished the first book that it needed an edit, which slowly turned into a soft rewrite, and then, in a full rewrite by this point.

I highly suggested reaching this end point of, say an Arc, preferably a book, before you rewrite. As it is very easy to get stuck in an edit or rewrite loop. Other than that, good luck with your story! Maybe make a post here, if you do rewrite, sharing how things went.

TEZofAllTrades Wrote: Does this mean that if your readership and stats progress, but slowly, you probably won't ever make it on to Rising Stars i.e. does it need to be a quick burst to qualify?

I think so. Many writathon stories made it, at the bottom it was like 200 new followers in the last 30 days of posting

But it's entirely possible it looks at "percentage growth", not just the "absolute growth", so bigger stories would need to get even more. And reviews are likely influential too

TEZofAllTrades Wrote: Does this mean that if your readership and stats progress, but slowly, you probably won't ever make it on to Rising Stars i.e. does it need to be a quick burst to qualify?
Yup. basically, you need to have a large established backlog and commit to daily releases, and hope you attract enough readers who do the right things in order to trigger the algorithm and have it notice you. Slow and steady does not get front-page attention from most of the algorithms. This is a shame, because the front page algorithms are typically self-feeding cycles that put those stories in much stronger positions. Exposure is a big part of what determines popularity on the site, so it was nice to have the 'people also liked' added onto the fiction pages.