Personal gems

Do you have a book that is not very popular (or might not even have any viewers in general), that you enjoy reading from time to time and think that it deserves way more attention than it gets?

Not limited to RR, any book will do.

Also, no self-promotion, thank you.

As for me, I've been enjoying TabletopLiterature's Adventurer. While it is somewhat standard fantasy in a game-like world, I enjoyed the first book immensely. Also, Mercenary Mage by ShadowRat, The Invisible String by Ariadne_yarn is not too bad, and The Nexus Games I found to be interesting enough.

P.S. Games For Empire by JoseHong seems promising enough too, but I haven't read far enough yet.

Re: Personal gems

Hmm... Yeah, I've got a few.

Daniel Hood's 'Fanuilh' series is a kinda oddball mix of detective fiction and low fantasy. The first book is about a well-traveled mercenary who retires to a small countryside town and ends up getting mixed up in a murder mystery when the local wizard dies and leaves everything to him - including his familiar, a cat-sized dragon. The story is about clearing his name, learning to live with his new companion, and trying to fit into the town as best he can. The subsequent stories are about other mysteries he gets caught up in; having solved one, the locals decide he's basically a detective now, so yeah.

The first three books in the series are really good. The fourth book was okay, but the fifth book was pretty meh. (One of the main conceits of the central plot annoyed me - it felt like idiot-ball plotting.)

They're definitely worth a read, especially for people who like mysteries and fantasy. They're out of print, so if you want to read them you'll need to find a used copy, but it's well worth it, IMO; especially since they're on the cheap side.

Other than that... Terry Dowling's 'Rynosseros' series, I guess? I believe he's fairly well known in his home country - Australia - but I haven't seen much of his work in the US. That being said, I'm pretty sure he re-issued the whole 'Rynosseros' set in hardcover not too long ago, which I've been meaning to buy, because I've only read the first book. It's a collection of short sci-fi stories set in an alternate future Australia, centered around the character Tom Rynosseros and the mysteries of his past. Really interesting worldbuilding and characters, and the anthology-but-with-overarching-elements thing is unusual too.

Not_A_Hat Wrote: Hmm... Yeah, I've got a few.

Daniel Hood's 'Fanuilh' series is a kinda oddball mix of detective fiction and low fantasy. The first book is about a well-traveled mercenary who retires to a small countryside town and ends up getting mixed up in a murder mystery when the local wizard dies and leaves everything to him - including his familiar, a cat-sized dragon. The story is about clearing his name, learning to live with his new companion, and trying to fit into the town as best he can. The subsequent stories are about other mysteries he gets caught up in; having solved one, the locals decide he's basically a detective now, so yeah.

The first three books in the series are really good. The fourth book was okay, but the fifth book was pretty meh. (One of the main conceits of the central plot annoyed me - it felt like idiot-ball plotting.)

They're definitely worth a read, especially for people who like mysteries and fantasy. They're out of print, so if you want to read them you'll need to find a used copy, but it's well worth it, IMO; especially since they're on the cheap side.

Other than that... Terry Dowling's 'Rynosseros' series, I guess? I believe he's fairly well known in his home country - Australia - but I haven't seen much of his work in the US. That being said, I'm pretty sure he re-issued the whole 'Rynosseros' set in hardcover not too long ago, which I've been meaning to buy, because I've only read the first book. It's a collection of short sci-fi stories set in an alternate future Australia, centered around the character Tom Rynosseros and the mysteries of his past. Really interesting worldbuilding and characters, and the anthology-but-with-overarching-elements thing is unusual too.

The first series sound pretty interesting  DrakanThinking

Smeowglivion Wrote: The first series sound pretty interesting

Buy a paperback off Amazon and read it. It's definitely worth the six or so bucks it'll cost you. I've never read anything else quite like it, and I wish the author was still writing. It's the series that convinced me 'backstory' is a severely under-utilized writing tool; I've seen very few MC's with quite as much color in their history that turns up at the oddest moments but still fits the story surprisingly well. 

So many authors start with a character who's essentially a blank slate; this story starts with an MC who's already seen the world, and it shows through in his thoughts and actions many times in the plot.

Not_A_Hat Wrote:
Smeowglivion Wrote: The first series sound pretty interesting

Buy a paperback off Amazon and read it. It's definitely worth the six or so bucks it'll cost you. I've never read anything else quite like it, and I wish the author was still writing. It's the series that convinced me 'backstory' is a severely under-utilized writing tool; I've yet to see another MC with quite as much color in their history that turns up at the oddest moments but still fits the story surprisingly well.
Six dollars and shipping, my friend  DrakanLaugh but thank you for recommendation, I'll check it out