Re: The Great Tea Thread

HorusMyDude Wrote: I don't really drink tea too often, I've never really liked the stuff.

I might just not have found a flavor I really like, though. Any recommendations?

A good basic black tea can be jazzed up in all sorts of ways. 

But that’s definitely a general thing, what sorts of fruits and desserts do you like? 

AdmiralStarNight Wrote:
HorusMyDude Wrote: I don't really drink tea too often, I've never really liked the stuff.

I might just not have found a flavor I really like, though. Any recommendations?

But that’s definitely a general thing, what sorts of fruits and desserts do you like?

I'm partial to strawberries and peaches. Mangos are good, too. 

I've replaced coffee with matcha. It's much the same kind of kick but all the gentler on my poor coffee-abused system. 

Someone in the other thread mentioned that the whisk was odd. It's not necessary, it's a cultural thing in other places for sure but if making tea isn't a ceremony or a meditation session for you, then it works just as well to use a latte maker. It's nice to have it whisked a bit for the froth on top (and, they say, the oxygenated water), which is why spoons are a bit inferior here. 

HorusMyDude Wrote:
AdmiralStarNight Wrote:

I'm partial to strawberries and peaches. Mangos are good, too.

A good herbal fruit tea might be up your ally with those tastes. I know brands like Celestial Seasonings like to make fruity versions of tea (like the kind called Country Peach Passion) 

If you can find a shop that specializes in tea near you, see if you can go in and just smell the various teas and see what leaps out to you. 

I like all teas of all types and methods.

Earl Grey is my favorite. Just can't beat that bergamot aroma.

If you have some money to spare, have a try at some blends. Tea purists might balk at this, but I love TWG blends. Especially Vanilla Bourbon.

Drink sparingly, and don't use teabags.

Btw, you can also eat the leaves if they are the whole ones. They are great in stir fries

DrunkMinstrel Wrote: Btw, you can also eat the leaves if they are the whole ones.
That's what distinguishes matcha from other tea preparations. Normal tea drink is tea leaves infused on water. Matcha is very finely ground tea leaves suspended in the water and drunk down.