What’s your favorite “overdone” monster/fantasy race?

Say’s it all in the title.

I still like vampires despite after all the Twilight clones and all it’s jokes. I still believe that they are versatile, especially since they are very very customizable. All you literally need is a deadish creature that takes away life-force for it’s own, you can give any weakness, any strength, any origin, whatever. They have a lot of potential and I think people don’t play up the undead aspect enough.

Re: What’s your favorite “overdone” monster/fantasy race?

I don't fully know what counts as overdone, but GOBLINS! I absolutely love to death my beautiful murder babies. Are they squishy low level mooks? Love em. Are they misunderstood as monsters and we get delightful PoV's from their perspectives like in The Wandering Inn. Love em even more. Are they just kinda chaotic arson lovers like my brothers DnD one shot character and many of the goblins in Magic: The Gathering? OMG I love them so much.

Elves, because they are always the same and because they were barely used for anything else. Two of my favourite portrayals of Elves are in Skyrim and Dungeon Meshi. In the first, they became quasi-nazi, which suites them perfectly. In the second, elves are arrogant and don't take other races seriously, which once again, fits them like a glove and comes across as a realistic depiction of a long-lived race.

Smeowglivion Wrote: Elves, because they are always the same and because they were barely used for anything else. Two of my favourite portrayals of Elves are in Skyrim and Dungeon Meshi. In the first, they became quasi-nazi, which suites them perfectly. In the second, elves are arrogant and don't take other races seriously, which once again, fits them like a glove and comes across as a realistic depiction of a long-lived race.

Oo I love TES elves, though while only the Thalmor are the quasi-nazis, several elves still fit the description of the Dungeon Meshi elves. I don’t know why I like them, I think it’s the arrogance, I wouldn’t like it in RL, but it’s appealing to me in fictional characters.

I love vampires, too. Three of my stories each feature pretty different variations on the concept. Super-powered space vampires inspired by Greek gods who become that way by infecting themselves with a virus, necromancer vampires that become what they are by crossing through a dangerous magical portal, people born as vampires by the light of the moon who can summon its light as blades and who feed on the blood of those born under the sun.

But my favorite fantasy race? Orcs. Why? They’re hot.