Re: Tropes that you enjoy seeing

I have three guilty pleasures:

1- A man/woman that transmigrate/reincarnate or whatever in some world of fantasy or usually in wuxia and has to create an organization and have students or followers and his/her mission is to make them more powerful so he/she can be more powerful and create a powerful organization.

2- A dude reincarnate/transmigrate in an otome game and that is faithful to his love interest (no harem).

3- Autor/reader or similar that transmigrate to his own novel or his favorite novel as kind of extra. For example Trash of the count family or my new favorite The Duke’s Eldest Son Escaped to the Military.

villain protagonist stories can be a lot of fun. there are fewer of them, and not all are done well.

I like stories that explore the setting they are in. not physical exploration, so much as a mix of world-building with learning how the world actually works. what this means varies a lot, but for a story with magic it would explore what magic really is and does. this is usually best done with an outsider introduced to a hidden world, a 'normal' person who gets to learn about all these new things alongside the reader.

Gotta be secret identities. The bigger the disparity the better. 

That being said, I don't really like drama surrounding secret identities. The whole 'threatened with a reveal' kinda thing tends to annoy me. And I really don't like betrayals involving secret identities - situations where learning the secret would seriously hurt someone emotionally. It usually feels forced, and often only happens because of idiot-ball plotting.

I have a lot of tropes I like, but here are some of my favorites: 

1- Protagonist knows no shame (basically they fight dirty).
2- The kind character is forced to kill someone (emphasis on forced). 
3- The chained god character (basically an OP character that has many physical and/or emotional limits to their abilities, forcing them to be creative with the usage of their power). A great example of this is The main protagonist of Mark of the Fool.
4- A character falling to madness
5- the calm before the storm type of moments
6- Straight man and funny guy type of interactions
7- The protagonist goes on a justified revenge crusade after he has been betrayed, but then finds a brighter goal as the story unfolds.
8- Angry characters/strugglers (Kratos and Guts come to mind) 

Thornsong Wrote: Sympathetic monsters!

I watched this documentary about leopards some time ago. There was a part where the leopard found a baby primate of some sort. (I think it was a baboon.) And she was taking care of it! The leopard was grooming the baby baboon, placing it in safe locations and everything. It was bizarre, I wouldn't believe it if it wasn't happening in a documentary. Unfortunately, the leopard's mother came in and ate the baboon. The daughter actually attacked her mother upon finding out. 

Anyways, to continue with the conversation, I cannot get enough of twins who ends up fighting to the death for one reason or another.

ZachSkye Wrote: I love a bumch of tropes. One of my favorite probably has to be the two chess masters one- where two highly intelligent characters play cat and mouse against each other with elaborate plots and nuance to every action and they wrangle for advantage
There's a good chance you have already watched this but on the off chance you haven't I would really recommend Death Note, it's basically the pure embodiment of that trope.