Re: Tropes that you enjoy seeing

Destiny/Fate in high fantasy, and I don't mean the whole universe is destined to go a certain way. I mean something like 5 strangers meet due to everything around them pushing them together because they were destined to do so.

As for tropes in anime/RR stories? I really like the isekai genre in general but for a more specific trope, I love the enemies to friends trope or the antagonist to friends trope. Something about an asshole becoming friends with our MC and trying to be better or maybe just switching sides and not trying to be better but being friendly toward MC is very appealing to me.

ZachSkye Wrote: I love a bumch of tropes. One of my favorite probably has to be the two chess masters one- where two highly intelligent characters play cat and mouse against each other with elaborate plots and nuance to every action and they wrangle for advantage

That's a favorite of mine as well. 

TwistedCelestial Wrote: Something about an asshole becoming friends with our MC and trying to be better or maybe just switching sides and not trying to be better but being friendly toward MC is very appealing to me.
ZachSkye Wrote: One of my favorite probably has to be the two chess masters one- where two highly intelligent characters play cat and mouse against each other with elaborate plots and nuance to every action and they wrangle for advantage

In a somewhat similar vein as both of these tropes, I really enjoy the trope where there are these two expert enemies always outplaying one another, and then it turns out they used to be close friends before all this. I like how sometimes it seems like their enemy-ship is almost an extension/corruption of their old friendship, and then sometimes they’ll just let one another off the hook, as if it’s almost just a game.

Verlin Wrote:
KaiserH Wrote: As the title said, Anything goes.
Enemies to lovers.

Tsundere
Face-slapping
Tsundere's, I definitely agree.

As for Enemeis to lovers. I'll just say to an extent.

May as well give my favorite tropes 

A aside from the Chessmaster type characther, though they may be seen as edgy by some, stoic and anti-hero characthers some that I enjoy. 

KaiserH Wrote:
Verlin Wrote:
Enemies to lovers.

Tsundere
Face-slapping

A aside from the Chessmaster type characther, though they may be seen as edgy by some, stoic and anti-hero characthers some that I enjoy.
Hmm, anti-hero is not for me.

Also you may want to add a cover to the sig (auto generate) if you want to keep the words, I believe there is a way (may be wrong) but I don't know how

Verlin Wrote:
KaiserH Wrote:
Verlin Wrote:
Enemies to lovers.

Tsundere
Face-slapping

Also you may want to add a cover to the sig (auto generate) if you want to keep the words, I believe there is a way (may be wrong) but I don't know how
Eh, everyone's tastes are different. I'd say I like it due to the fact that it explores a very real angle to me, everyone isn't gonna be a morally perfect hero, or a hero at all. 

Thank you for the tip on the sig though!

KaiserH Wrote:
Verlin Wrote:
KaiserH Wrote:
Verlin Wrote:
Enemies to lovers.

Tsundere
Face-slapping

Eh, everyone's tastes are different. I'd say I like it due to the fact that it explores a very real angle to me, everyone isn't gonna be a morally perfect hero, or a hero at all. 

Thank you for the tip on the sig though!
Yes, agreed. I just don't like the 'I will kill them because I can' mentality that I found in many of them. As you said, people have different tastes.

Nice going with the sig!

Asviloka Wrote: When a character has a secret edge over everyone else, and lets them underestimate him until the proper dramatic moment to reveal it.
Justified arrogance, showing up those who think they know better.
Teaming up with the villain, uneasy alliances of necessity, not quite sure if it'll hold or fall apart.
I like those too.

Old, rough, or rugged characters as the good guys. Characters that are not handsome or beautiful, but is willing to get the job done. I'm sick of the Alexander the Greats hogging up the spot light in fantasy. I love it when its a Napoleon as a main character instead. Where are the balding Bobs? The long stached Steves? The Grey foxes? The neck bearded Nathans?  Yes, yes. I know that I'm shallow, focusing so much no the appearance of a fictional character, but this trope is something I don't see too often and I'm delighted whenever I encounter it. 

Small sweet girl with massive rage issues.

Pretty boys who fear combat.

Bear wrestling Amazonian women.

My family was awful and abusive backstory. (My mommy and daddy issues are talking here)

Quirky pet companions.

Enemies/rivals to friends.

Angry healers.

Tall, dark, handsome and broody.

Misunderstood villains.

Isekai'd/reincarnated as a villain/side character/disadvantageous starting spot

The Chosen One. 

Underdog becomes OP.

Eh I think that's all?

A trope thats a guilty pleasure of mine is the "The only reason the MC succeeds/thrives is due to hard work" one. Where the MC grinds out some action past when everyone else gets tired and gets rewarded for it. You know...hard work fallacy but they actually get rewarded unlike the real world.

See LMS/Overgeared/etc

I also absolutely love the "useless power turned into a strength" or even just "incredibly limited but incredibly powerful" abilities where characters have incredibly limited/weird powers and then use it to the best of their ability. 
Incredibly powerful incredibly limited powers like being able to control nitrogen but only within half an inch of your body resulting in what looks like armour and super strength but is really just close ranged telekinesis...or from the same universe a cinderella power that "lets her remotely mutilate the feet of anybody with a different shoe size than her". 

Mystique Wrote: Small sweet girl with massive rage issues.

Pretty boys who fear combat.

Bear wrestling Amazonian women.

My family was awful and abusive backstory. (My mommy and daddy issues are talking here)

Quirky pet companions.

Enemies/rivals to friends.

Angry healers.

Tall, dark, handsome and broody.

Misunderstood villains.

Isekai'd/reincarnated as a villain/side character/disadvantageous starting spot

The Chosen One. 

Underdog becomes OP.

Eh I think that's all?
Like them all too! How do you remember them all? I always forget them unless prompted

Great generals and armies commanded under them. If I need to choose I will prefer a general over a hero.

Progression in the world. I love living worlds where it shapes itself through the story.

I love the isekai genre, but most of the characters inside them are just not my liking. I want the hero to be punched into guts getting buried underground only to be raised from his ashes as someone new.

Antiheroes. I love them, seeing the world from a gray perspective is better than seeing it from pure black or pure white in my opinion.

Mentors, like Uncle Iroh, who speaks with words that just don't change people in stories but the person who reads them as well.

Also for some reason, I am in love with giant war machines (For example Arsenal Bird, Gustav cannon, Helicarrier, or any type of Mecha) I just love seeing these machines who looks like they can shape the very tide of war by themselves.