Re: How detailed is your outline?

Reading what everyone does has been super interesting!

For my first idea of a story, my outline will be very brief. More like a rough framework to write within. I often find myself breaking out of that then going back to the outline to tweak the framework before I keep writing. By the time I’m done with a solid draft, my outline will have grown exponentially. I usually then use that outline to do big picture revisions if necessary. 

I write character sheets and a plot outline with a resume of each chapter scene and how I want them to end. 

So I can do better foreshadowing, which means there is usually a 10k words character personalities and backstory outline as well as an around 5k-10k words chapter resume outline. 

Once it's written, I usually stick to it while some time diverging from it slightly if I feel that the story might be better told that way. Then, I readjust my outline accordingly to keep track.

I feel that having a good outline makes my writing better and more focused, it doesn't go everywhere. Also, I don't add too much filler scenes due to a good outline... 

I think I'm pretty much good at outlining and thinking about a story (It takes about 1-2 weeks of intensive thinking to choose a pretty good outline, I pitch several resume outlines with character personalities and choose the one that I feel is the most logical and I'm the most passionate about.)

Once it's done, I sit down and write the story...
My outline are usually pretty good for a 100k word book. 

And that's the part that's lacking, I guess... the Execution part.

But it's kinda normal since I've just written one book so far (Currently under rewriting) 

I'll preface this by saying, there's no right way to write. If a detailed fully fleshed out outline is what feels most comfy to you, do it! Some people need the structure of a full plotline. For others an outline stifles their creative process. 

I have an outline, a small one that covers my first volume. I haven't put pen to paper for the second one yet as I'm still learning a lot about my characters as I write. I however only hold to that outline loosely. I've already deviated several times because the characters ended up being a bit different than I thought they'd be. But it works out well. My main thing is I have a plot that I'm following and as long as I hit the major twists and plot points I'm fine. I keep those in mind when I write and let the characters dictate where they go from there. 

Sometimes that means instead of stealing a kitchen knife and chasing down slimes my character got training on a weapon. Or instead of a bandit attack happening in x chapter it happens in another, with far more character growth and despair as a result. Or instead of a character doing x they do y because they ended up a bit more introverted than I had thought they'd be. 

I do what works for me and my writing. As you should do what works for you and your writing.

I mean I have a bunch of text files on my story, but to call it an outline... there is a large jumble of files and information. 

I have a world map with all countries and their territories and places of interest, an overarching story plan for the overall plot, I usually do a plan for each volume in which I describe a volume plot in detail, however even beyond that I usually have a file for each particular story (For example, files on a character including their personality, backstory, abilities, and everything that brought them to the point they are at in the story - as well as where I want to take them and what development I want them to go through during the story.)

I usually base my stories around my characters. When I write a character, I very often think 'Why is this person this way? What brought this person to be this way, and what do I want them to experience to change them?' This is how I write a story.  So I start off with a goal. Then I create a character to achieve that goal. Then I create a reason for why that character wants to achieve that goal. 

I also have a whole bunch of other files such as the currency system, the military rankings and systems, political hierarchies, and other information about my world. 

I usually start out with the intent to write an outline, and then... don't. Usually just out of my own procrastination more than anything. I generally have a vague idea of what I want to happen in an arc or chapter, but generally, I just end up writing an equally vague sentence or two as a summary and then I just write the chapter more or less based on whatever's floating around in my head. If I really need to keep myself on track, I'll write a short bullet list of the important things that need to be covered in that chapter, and that's usually the most detailed that I get.

Lately though I am starting to think I want to try doing more detailed outlines. The problem I have with longer stories is that I usually have the most detail in mind for the beginning and sometimes the end, so I just end up floundering around in the middle, then I get burnt out as I start to write really barebones chapters that just move the plot from point A to B without doing much else. I think for my next story I'm going to try writing an in-depth outline for the whole thing before I start writing any chapters and see how that goes.

First I have my "Arc" outline

Its a list of point form arcs and a brief description of them.

Then I have my "Writing Notes" file which is a mess of a dozen things I want to have happen but in no particular order.

Then I have my chapter outline (Called "The Plan") which is a point form list of what I want to have happen in the next 5-10 chapters. That outline is the most broken especially as it gets longer and I expand or detract how long certain events last. Most of the time I set up those 5-10 point form names as empty drafts on RR.

Because I like writing certain parts more than others sometimes (read most of the time) I'll write those drafts out of order or at least write scenes/experimentations/events in a disjointed manner and then finish up with a linear sort of editing/proofreading session so stuff progresses more naturally.