Re: Genre shift from LitRPG to Progression/Fantasy

From what I remember, while litrpg has always gained popularity quickly on RR, all the biggest hitters on this site tend to depend on their stat screens far less. At most they'll use game-like elements, but retain the core part of seeming like a story and not a D&D campaign. The problem is that since like one in three litrpg stories ends up on trending, it seems wildly overblown just how integral they are to the site.

That isn't to say litrpg is a niche category on RR and was never a main focus. Rather, it's always greatly devoured, but due to a lack of unanimous love is rare to hit the true top of this site.

NDP Wrote:
Smeowglivion Wrote:
Paradoxcloud Wrote: Like most things in life, it's a phase.
Isn't LitRPG is also a phase, then?
As a genre, I personally don't think so. As the dominant genre on this site? Maybe. 

That being said, I don't see what you see. Don't LitRpgs still garner the most views and engagement? I haven't seen anything to prove otherwise
I think, you and Bananalloy above both got very good points. LitRPG is dominant, but the readerbase for it can only be so large. Which makes LitPRG seems like they gather less by themselves, when they will probably overweight everything else if put together. Well, except maybe juggernauts like BtC. On the other hand, Primal Hunter gathers just as much stats. Even if they both taken out as exceptions, litRPG might be biggest one still.

TEZofAllTrades Wrote: Maybe people are only reading a handful of good/successful versions of the LitRPG genre, and aren't really interested in trying other stories with same/similar format?

Not me. I've devoured dozens of Litrpg stories and I'm always a sucker for more. But I have no problem with good progression fantasy, or most types of fantasy sci-fi. Today I was reading some Ben Bova and Manly Wade Wellman. Tonite I'll catch up on my RR stories.

LitRPG normally has an inherent flaw: there's little risk because no one can die. Plus what do you do about NPCs? Do you treat them as fellow humans or be a murder hobo? Because why treat digital people as people when you can do whatever you want, right?

If a litrpg story was about drama and emotional journies, it could work better. But having an action story about nothing more than respawning and more stats is limited in scope. 

I tried to jump on the bandwagon and have since decided to turn by litrpg books into something different. Probably change my fantasy to an issekei with a game-like magic system, similar to Wandering Inn. For the Pirate novel I already simplified greatly, with only a few classes and skill ups and no stats. The only one I'm leaving a strict lirpg is Golden Impact, which has a similar plot as Sword Art Online and is all about the game and being trapped inside. With that, things like how to act in the game world are part of the plot and story matters far more than stats, which are there but in the background. 

I see hardcore litrpg with stat screens something highly appealing to a very niche market which consumes a ton of it, but that it will rarely be mass market without a brilliant storyline to carry rare examples of it. 

Why are so many people mentioning D&D in this thread? Dungeons and Dragons have almost NOTHING to do with the LitRPG genre, and basically every story I've seen which used Systems similiar to D&D ended up failing, or staying small. LitRPGs have Systems more similiar to VIDEOGAMES, not the boardgame where it takes you ten hours to get from Lvl. 1 to Lvl. 2, and where Lvl. 10 character are demigods that run around solo-killing dragons...

Ararara Wrote: Why are so many people mentioning D&D in this thread? Dungeons and Dragons have almost NOTHING to do with the LitRPG genre, and basically every story I've seen which used Systems similiar to D&D ended up failing, or staying small. LitRPGs have Systems more similiar to VIDEOGAMES, not the boardgame where it takes you ten hours to get from Lvl. 1 to Lvl. 2, and where Lvl. 10 character are demigods that run around solo-killing dragons...
Fun thing is, first RPGs came from tabletop RPGs. Which is why D&D is considered the root of it all

I posted a question on Reddit about what - exactly - defines progression fantasy vs litrpg vs general.

The boundaries, like most things, are fairly fluid.

I wouldn't consider my series to be a progression fantasy strictly, as it's not the main focus - but there are strong progression elements in it, centred around gear. Think old school games like the original Zelda, where you might gain a heart or two along the way...but what you really wanted was that master sword :-)

So, in summation, I don't know. lol